Who needs laser guidance? Sharp-eyed RNZAF air drop.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forastero, Dec 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

2. Good arrow fellas!
  3. Good shooting Kiwis !
  4. Good job RNZAF. I hope the Russkies make it ok. They owe the Kiwi's a great night on the lash if they do.
  5. They don't need lazer guidance because they have a bit of software that works out when to push the kit out based on their relative land speed, height, bearing, wind direction etc against where they want to package to land.

Still, a good effot though. They'd have looked a bunch of mongs if it had ditched in the freezing drink.
  6. Yes, the full Russian lash up, they could all drink the antifreeze out of the Hercs de-icing tanks and go blind.
  7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

What's a lazer? Zimulated emitted radiation? Some new German contraption we've not heard of?

(As we're being spotters :D )
  9. A small Dinghy that I used to race.

Educated spotter if you please.
  10. Not that educated; "land speed" :eek:)

11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I mong (for that is what I am doing, monging) corrected.
  12. Actually it's "ground speed". This has been robbed from elsewhere as I can't be arrsed to type:

Ground speed is the speed of the aircraft in relationship to the ground. So if two airports are 100 miles apart and it takes you one hour of flight time, then your ground speed is 100mph.

Air speed is the speed of the aircraft in relationship to the surrounding air.

Taking the example above, but you have a 30 mph headwind. Your groundspeed is still 100mph but now your airspeed has to be 130mph to acheive that ground speed.

Useful when dropping things from planes. Hope I didn't further confuse you.
  13. Well after 33 years and 16000 hours I'm glad you cleared that up for me

Merry Christmas and I hope it heals quickly
  14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

15. Thank you, I shall treasure it...