Who makes a better ASM

I've been out for some time but I've always wondered who makes a better ASM, Vehicles, Tels or Weapons?

Having come through the black hand gang my ASM's were always vehicles but we did have AQMS Tels and Wpns.

Also who progresses quicker through the tiffy route to ASM Techs or Vehicles.

I think they are saying that the question is bollox, which it is.

Sorry if being out for some time bars one from having a ******* opinion or asking questions that relate to the Corp. but now I remember why it was better to be an attached arm with a Regiment rather than bundled together in a workshop. Put too many Reems together and it becomes incestuous.

To be fair to MadTyke, I think he was just trying to start a topic on something that could be half-decent. I've seen many topics that are a lot more bone than this one, give the guy a break!

I've served in loads of Workshops (being ex-Tels) and only the one 1st-Line post (as MDSS), so I've had mainly Tech (not always Tels) ASM's. I think it depends on the ASM rather than the trade personally, although after serving in Tri-Service environments, it's just good having REME input somewhere up the chain!

Madtyke said:
Sorry if being out for some time bars one from having a * opinion or asking questions that relate to the Corp.
Been out way too long mate, you've even forgotten how to spell Corps :policeflat:

Now, what was the question again?

soldierbhoy said:
.......... I think it depends on the ASM rather than the trade personally,...............

No sh1t sherlock....

Thats why I said "the question is bollox"

verticalgyro said:
Nige said:
Madtyke said:
Sorry if being out for some time bars one from having a * opinion or asking questions that relate to the Corp.
Been out way too long mate, you've even forgotten how to spell Corps :policeflat:

Now, what was the question again?
That's your pet hate isn't it Nige? Do you grind your teeth every time you see someone type Corp? :twisted:
Wasn't he DGES(A) back then?

(back when chicken tasted like chicken)

verticalgyro said:
That's your pet hate isn't it Nige? Do you grind your teeth every time you see someone type Corp? :twisted:
Yup :D

My other pet hate is people who can't spell Artificer. Especially on joining instructions. But I'm getting over it by using poor grammar whenever I can.

Male, Protestant.
That is the only qualifier

Generally VM(A) make better ASMs

its not a dig at anybody, its just the way it works out. (generally)

It all starts with more responsibility at an earlier stage in your career. As a VM(A) you get loaded with more responsibility than any other trade disapline.

As a Lcpl (class 1) you are just expected to know how to command an armoured Vehicle and a crew - nobody teaches you to be a good commander, its just expected of you!

In my experience very rarely do Techs have this responsibilty (ever), I have known some Armourers to be commanders, but usually its a VM(a) or Recovery Mechanic, and VM(b) have a totally different role to to fill, and never really get the chance to gain this experience. Commanding a A vehicle + crew and commanding a B vehicle + crew (co driver) are 2 very different things

So my opinion is that a VM(a) learns to deal with the stress of commanding people earlier in their career when they are not quite so much in the lime light, rather been thrown in at the deep end (fast tracked through) as a senior rank.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bushmills The NAAFI Bar 13
Speedy Army Pay, Claims & JPA 3
Filbert Fox The NAAFI Bar 24