• Tom Tugendhat

• Nadhim Zahawi

• Boris Johnson

• Someone else , see my post

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Some robust smiting of two mongs in particular might have save what was a good thread.
I'm not interested in this anymore, but as a valued contributor to the site, I respect, and will answer your question.

As I said up thread old boy, the last straw was a dozen individuals deciding to derail over three pages of the thread, not two people.

Two people dicking about on a thread takes me less than sixty seconds to sort out. That's not a problem, that's we do day in day out. What I'm not prepared to do, and nor is any other mod, is to write warning after warning only to be ignored and spend hours dealing with just one thread. It's unreasonable to expect anybody to have to do that on an adult site with individuals of a supposedly shared military interest.

I was sorry to see the thread destroyed as well.

I'm not Nostradamus, but any thread with 'Boris' in the title is doomed to failure.

I don't know why; he saved the UK from antidemocrats who attempted to overturn a democratic decision and he broke years of parliamentary deadlock and took us out of the EU. I don't know anyone else who could've done that.

But he does trigger a lot of hurt feelings in a certain section of the population.

Oyibo

LE
I'm not interested in this anymore, but as a valued contributor to the site, I respect, and will answer your question.

As I said up thread old boy, the last straw was a dozen individuals deciding to derail over three pages of the thread, not two people.

Two people dicking about on a thread takes me less than sixty seconds to sort out. That's not a problem, that's we do day in day out. What I'm not prepared to do, and nor is any other mod, is to write warning after warning only to be ignored and spend hours dealing with just one thread. It's unreasonable to expect anybody to have to do that on an adult site with individuals of a supposedly shared military interest.

Fair enough, and I won't presume to tell you how to do your job again. But as we're in the hole....

Smite them, smite them all.

1659818245888.png

Whilst I really appreciate the mods’ unpaid efforts, it will ruin the site if any thread that has a small number of off-topic posters is ruined for everyone else.

IMO the Ukraine thread moderation style (which you played a big part in!) should serve as the benchmark going forward. Ultra-strict moderation and permanent thread bans for repeat offenders. You and I know exactly who those offenders are and it will remove 90% of the noise.
Yes there will be fewer posts, but they will be of a higher quality.

PS: I have repeatedly asked people to stay on topic and have reported off topic posts.
dougal.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
You are right. Getting out of the EU should have been a doddle.

Yet even you must realise that it wasn't. Now have a think as to why that was

Parliament and business putting their shoulders to the wheel?

An understanding and intellectually able EU working hard to get an outcome that suited both sides?

A recognition on social media and in the press recognising the importance of the public mood?

All of the above?
'Even you must realise'? Well, even though that's a bit condescending at least you didn't post a picture of a crying child so I suppose I should be grateful.

To answer your question - and I don't need to follow your suggestion and think or re-think about why Brexit was not easy - my opinion is now, and has always been, that is is a combination of your three suggestions: all of the above.

My post was my opinion, which I am allowed aren't I? However, it was about Boris Johnson so I'm not being drawn into a debate about Brexit.

Even so, Boris has gone and in keeping with the thread title, I also expressed my opinion that Liz Truss is not the person to lead our country for the foreseeable future. For what it's worth, I would like to have seen Penny Mordant as one of the two final candidates. I'll just have to hope that our new Prime Minister give her a decent post in the new Cabinet.

I hope that my response satisfies your question(s)? Please excuse my delay in replying - I don't have the time to devote most of it to ARRSE.

You're a good poster and I like your contributions (mostly), thank you.

Cheers...

Fraser Nelson: Why Liz Truss is right to say ‘forecasts are not destiny’​

6 August 2022, 11:36am

Excerpts:

Rishi Sunak’s campaign is rather fatalistic: he seems to think we cannot really avoid a big-state, high-tax, low-growth future described by these forecasts. Under his plan then he'd need seven long years to reverse only half of his tax rises - and still leave us with the highest tax burden since the 1950s. Truss says there is another way, but she hasn’t said much about how she’d finance it.

But let’s go back to Truss's point about forecasts, and Robert Peston’s question of how she sees the 'status' or economic forecasting. This dismal science has had a mixed record of late.

If a government can only walk down a road that forecasters think is viable (which seems to be the Sunak view) then these forecasters have huge power. They become the SAGE of the economics world.

Why Liz Truss is right to say 'forecasts are not destiny' | The Spectator

ANDREW NEIL: Liz Truss's biggest foe won't be Keir Starmer but the entire Left Blob who will wage a vitriolic campaign to destroy her

By ANDREW NEIL FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:07 BST, 5 August 2022 | UPDATED: 22:21 BST, 5 August 2022

Excerpts:

But it is not Starmer Truss has to worry about. It is what is best described as the Left Blob, which is now omnipresent in British public life, dominant in the citadels of power, including most of the media (above all the broadcasters), the Civil Service, the NHS, the legal system (including the judiciary), education (especially the universities), social media, most public bodies and private charities. It’s even wheedling its way into boardrooms.

It put down strong roots during the Tony Blair/Gordon Brown years (both of whom did much to facilitate it).

Since then it has grown more ubiquitous, more powerful and more Left, quick to embrace whatever is fashionably progressive, including, currently, the many shibboleths of wokery, cancel culture and identity politics.

It is one of the mysteries of modern British politics that 12 years of Tory rule have done nothing to dislodge or counter it.

ANDREW NEIL: Truss's biggest foe won't be Starmer but the Left Blob

Truxx

LE
'Even you must realise'? Well, even though that's a bit condescending at least you didn't post a picture of a crying child so I suppose I should be grateful.

To answer your question - and I don't need to follow your suggestion and think or re-think about why Brexit was not easy - my opinion is now, and has always been, that is is a combination of your three suggestions: all of the above.

My post was my opinion, which I am allowed aren't I? However, it was about Boris Johnson so I'm not being drawn into a debate about Brexit.

Even so, Boris has gone and in keeping with the thread title, I also expressed my opinion that Liz Truss is not the person to lead our country for the foreseeable future. For what it's worth, I would like to have seen Penny Mordant as one of the two final candidates. I'll just have to hope that our new Prime Minister give her a decent post in the new Cabinet.

I hope that my response satisfies your question(s)? Please excuse my delay in replying - I don't have the time to devote most of it to ARRSE.

Cheers...
No debate about Brexit, but rather one about Boris. I am not a Boris fan but I have been fascinated/disturbed/appalled by the way his tenure has been portrayed which has contributed, indeed caused, his departure.

Whereas the balance sheet, if collated honestly and objectively should be rather kinder. Achieving any sort of Brexit was, by any measure, against the establishment odds. Strategically, the covid response was sound. The normal economic metrics are in decent shape.

But cake.

As for a replacement, I am less sure that it really matters. Because what really matters (at least in my opinion) is what goes on in the whole of government both across Whitehall and down into the regions and authorities. And that ship will sail on regardless.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Cheers...

Your post is your opinion, which you of course are allowed; the trouble is, so is everyone else.

When you post on Arrse it's virtually guaranteed that you will receive some disagreement to and criticism of your posts; especially when you write in a somewhat caustic style (as I also do on occasion). Getting bent out of shape and rattling off a snippy response because of criticism is the first step to constructing a perpetual motion machine fuelled with rage and vitriolic posts until either your head explodes or the ban hammer descends.

Comments like "Anyone who thinks that Boris was the heaven sent Saviour for our beloved islands probably thinks that Princess Diana went to her maker as a virgin" are at the very least provocative not to say insulting to anyone who might think the Rt Hon Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Prime Minister isn't Satan incarnate (or for that matter, any poor deluded Express reader who believes that Di the Household Div Bike went to her maker virgo intacta). If you honestly didn't expect some sort of negative response from posting that, then can I interest you in some shares for this bridge I won in a card game?

If you don't like reading caustic, insulting or disdainful responses to your posts, you have several options:
  • Stop posting nasty things about Saint Boris, Di the slag or any other public figure.
  • Start putting posters on ignore.
  • Develop some thicker skin.
Your choice. You've been on here a while, so you know this already.

And by the way, it's Bullingdon not "Bullington". HTH.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Nick Cohen in the Speccy is getting his panties in a bunch:

With the cap on average annual household dual-fuel bills rising to £3,359 in the autumn, there will have to be yet more subsidies for the poorest third of the population. A left-wing giveaway, in other words. Truss’s proposed cuts in corporation tax (seriously?) and national insurance will help big business and wealthier wage earners. These may be the Tory core vote, but they are not the people in need. Either the next prime minister will have to provide emergency aid to those facing real suffering or they will be seen as fighting a class war from above: doling out money to people who don’t need it, while denying it to those who do.

Truss’s borrowing plans may push up interest rates even further. The recession that the Bank of England predicts will be the longest downturn since 2008 will cut tax revenues. In hard times, it is hard to see why Conservative priorities should be privileged.

The National Health Service has 6.5 million patients waiting for treatment, and you can only shudder when you think how the backlog of unmet pain and need will grow when winter comes. The armed forces need to reequip to face the Russian threat and replace the weapons the UK gave to Ukraine.

Education, law and order, the justice system – wherever you look, you see neglected and dilapidated services. The average wage earner has not had a real-terms pay rise since 2008, and understandably will be agitating to ensure that inflation does not lower their living standards. On top of all this, the big fact about Britain and so many other advanced economies remains that the healthcare and pensions needed to support the growing elderly population make Thatcherite dreams of a small state impossible to fulfil.

Quite spectacular levels of doom saying and handwringing, he doesn't quite wail "Will no one think of the children?!?", but it's a close run thing.

A little less histrionics here, a measured criticism of what Truss plans for the Bank of England:

I don't necessarily agree with what's said, but it is clear, detailed and informative.

CivviWalker

War Hero
Not convinced at all by Truss.So she wants to end the NI hike.She has yet to say how she then intends to fund the NHS and social care which are reaching crisis point.In fact the latter is already in crisis with 135,000 job vacancies throughout the UK.Putting a few quid in people's pockets with tax cuts isn't going to make the economy bounce back.Oil prices are already starting to fall and food prices should follow if shipments carry on leaving Ukraine.That leaves the main driver of inflation as energy prices and Sunak's targeted support to tackle that problem makes far more sense.Supporting energy payments will also help keep wage demands in check.

If the party membership are foolish enough to elect Truss they can say goodbye to power for the next decade.Within six months of her premiership we will see strikes,social unrest and riots.The woman is completely unfit to be prime minster.

If the party membership are foolish enough to elect Truss they can say goodbye to power for the next decade.Within six months of her premiership we will see strikes,social unrest and riots.The woman is completely unfit to be prime minster.
I’m not convinced; those who would be behind strikes, social unrest and riots will be the people who would do that regardless of which tory was PM. If anything, a billionaire with a tax-evading wife* would just give those people an even bigger noose to lynch the tories on.

(* don’t let facts get in the way of political propaganda :eek:)