Who Knows about this "Bellss Palsy"? Is it going to stop me

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ozzymick, Sep 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been on a mad getting fit regime lately, eating healthy, exercising etc etc etc, I then get an ear infection, next thing you know half my face is paralysed, Bell's Palsy, diagnosed yesterday.

With luck I should make a full recovery in 2 to 3 months.

Does anyone know if this is going to stop me getting back in?
    I have looked on the list of medical conditions and can't see it, I spoke to the Local Recruitment Office they couldnt answer either.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciatted.
  2. Check your PM's mate.
  3. Had a friend who suffered from it at University - his biggest problem was at the OTC bar, because all the medical students kept coming over and wanting to see a real case of Bell's Palsy in action.

Given that we were both pipers, and that he was playing again within a few months I'd be hopeful. He was a bloody good piper (unlike me - distinctly average), became the TA individual champion, and now hosts the BBC Scotland piping show. So, no permanent loss of function there, then.
  4. Bloody Medical Students, Perverts they are :)

I am keeping my fingers crossed and will get back into the exercising very shortly.

Cheers for that
  5. My old fella had it years back - said it made him dribble like a dribbly thing for a bit and then got better with no aftereffects. Makes you look like a mong for a while but shouldn't have any long term effects.
  6. British Superbike rider and all round top fella Chris "The Stalker" Walker had it a few years back and looks like Quasimodo when he laughs.