Who is your favourite Artist/Painter

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have that on wall over PC,looking at it now.nice one.
Vetriano's portraits are not sexual but are extremely sensual. There are many in the arty farty world who dismiss his work as Poster Art but that is just jealousy IMO. I have a couple of books with his works in them, excellent stuff.

Roy de Forest

Fertile-Ground-Roy-De-Forest.jpg

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was looking for a gift for a friend and have always like industrial/northern art when I discovered Alexander Millars work. He's still on the go and has cashed in a bit on his Gadgie series but he's pretty nifty with the brush.

amgc129-the-cathedral-of-the-working-man-r1.jpg

Not exactly deeply moving but I've a fondness for the humour in Avril Paton's images of Glasgow tenements.

AP01_250_Windows_in_the_West.jpg

Last edited:
I know bugger all about art. I've always liked Norman Rockwell's paintings, he seems to have captured the essence of a passing era in America, John Steinbeck's novels in paint.

Rockwell.jpg

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of others have mentioned Hogarth, but it is his portrait of George Arnold, which, when I saw it at the Tate, just stopped me in my tracks. No photo of it can do it justice - you can see the character of Arnold, the essence of the old boy perfectly captured.
View attachment 339705
Hogarth here passes an important exam for any artist - can he draw hands?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
This 3-part series on American art by Waldemar Januszczak played out on BBC4 last month. A bit too much on very modern stuff at times & Jackson Pollock but lots of good stuff as well. 1st part has fallen off the edge but Pts 2 & 3 still there, just. I found it informative.

Episode 1, Series 1, Big Sky, Big Dreams, Big Art: Made in the USA - BBC Four

especially Remington's 'Coming Through the Rye'. The right sort of Americana has always had a sort of fiery edge for me. You could say a B-17 is Art. So also enormous chrome-covered gas-guzzlers with whitewall tyres.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If I recall correctly, Roger Dean painted pictures for Yes's Albums in the 60's and 70's. Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer to name a few. He also produced work for Uriah Heep and Asia, among others.
A contemporary of Dean's was Rodney Matthews who produced similar work for the likes of Hawkwind, Ian Anderson, Nazareth and Praying Mantis.
yesta.jpg

Tales from Topographic Oceans - Roger Dean

roger-dean-yes-relayer-album-cover.jpg

Relayer - Roger Dean

th.jpeg

Ice Spirit - Rodney Matthews

th (1).jpeg

Sea Spirit - Rodney Matthews

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Always loved really detailed, almost photographic quality oil paintings.

One of my all time favourites by Delaroche.
0D49EF29-6B6B-4474-B54B-44966D5AA17C.jpeg

I’ve got a print of this Thomas Hudson hanging in my dining room. The subject was born and lived in my house. The real painting is on public display but still owned by the wife’s family.

8FDC433B-A301-40C1-855E-8B0D07448813.jpeg

Likewise this Turner. The original used to hang in the in law’s dining room and was badly stained by years of cigar smoke. Cleaned up now and on public display.

B6D7136D-C5A6-48FA-A479-A3DC7110C71C.jpeg

I’m not a massive fan of modern art. There are a few pieces that I like but on the whole I’m not overly bothered. I’d much rather do a day at the National Portrait Gallery than the Tate Modern.