Who is your favourite Artist/Painter

How many you had, and how many do you think you will go through before you kark it?
Just asking..........
Just the two. The ex mrs_mush and the current mrs_mush. Hoping to keep it at that.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The detail in that portrait is superb, every railing in place, every leaf on show, yet it does not detract from the subject. My feeling though is it is so much like a photograph rather than a painting, technically fantastic but no real artistic element.

The bed layout would have had me jailed in Junior Bleeders if I laid out something so slovenly! :D
I think that one goes a bit beyond that assessment - look how the light is done on the bottles - and then look at his face, not entirely happy. If anything the qn is how would this artist have developed if he had had the chance? It crosses to my point that the best artists are brilliant draughtsmen (look at Picasso's early work, or Dali). Look at Durer's and Holbein's sketches. So many other things have to come together of course, like the eye for detail shown by Hogarth.

Unsurprisingly I have a soft spot for sea painters with gold medals for Van der Velde, Turner, Wylie, Wilkinson and Ravilious, each of their time.

On a similar theme, I purchased loads of albums based on the striking quality of the cover art work. Roger Dean is a particular favourite of mine.
View attachment 339673
That's how I came to like Chris Foss's stuff, this was done for the Ian Gillan Band album Clear Air Turbulence:
Ian gillan band.jpg

I am to Art what Fred West was to youth hosteling, but have always been intrigued by M.C.Escher.
1457694_Escher_Relativity_1953.jpg

I also spent my childhood reading books with those fantastically drawn 3D cutaways and were probably influential in my second career.
BL3UFqG.jpg

If you can include sculptures, Naples has the finest collections in Europe.......
apart from it's 3 Caravaggios, it has the Capella Sansevero.......

Cappella Sansevero in Naples

an astonishing place where you can almost touch the incredible art- works, all carved from single blocks of marble.

The only works you can compare them to is by Bernini.

My bold.. I think Rodin is up there with him, I saw the Rodin exhibition many years ago & was impressed.
There used to be one of Balzac standing outside of the Kodak building in Hemel Hempstead. This one is outside of Westminster..

Vermeer and I have seen most of his work ...

Until I read up and found out he most probably used a camera obscura for quite a few of his painting, most in the same room with the black and white tiles.

I have quite a few David Shepherd prints some big ones of eyes and lions but really like his small mammals of the UK series.

I'm surprised no ones come up with this one, I think so many prints were on virtually all living room walls in the '60 - '80's it was so popular.

Tretchikoff

Vic Berris who did many cutaway drawings for Autocar in the 50s - 70s. A superb technical artist.

My first car BTW.
I had several of his double page spread drawings on my wall as a student.

I'm surprised no ones come up with this one, I think so many prints were on virtually all living room walls in the '60 - '80's it was so popular.

Tretchikoff
My Mam still has one along with one of these eyesores.
cryingboy2.jpg

Isn't there some moonhowlery connected to that picture?

Along with these as well no doubt...

Beswick Ducks, thankfully not , she doesn't have anything that tasteful.
A billion plates with shire horses on though

"They'll be worth money they will. I've got all the boxes & certificates for them."

There's also some wallpaper in the front bedroom that has to be seen to be believed. Huggy Bear from Starsky & Hutch would find it a bit too gaudy. She had the whole house redecorated but refused to remove this wallpaper.

As my late Dad once said "Your Mother, she's got no fcuking taste whatsoever." one of only two occasions I heard him swear.

I do enjoy Vettriano, but I much prefer his block colour faceless View attachment 339555 renderings of times past such as his canvas "Billy Boys". They always put me in mind of day trips out to the seaside in the early 60s.

I have a great affection for the travel poster medium that occured between the wars, again Vettriano- ish, and strangely comforting in this rapidly changing world.
I have that on wall over PC,looking at it now.nice one.

Beswick Ducks, thankfully not , she doesn't have anything that tasteful.
A billion plates with shire horses on though

"They'll be worth money they will. I've got all the boxes & certificates for them."

There's also some wallpaper in the front bedroom that has to be seen to be believed. Huggy Bear from Starsky & Hutch would find it a bit too gaudy. She had the whole house redecorated but refused to remove this wallpaper.

As my late Dad once said "Your Mother, she's got no fcuking taste whatsoever." one of only two occasions I heard him swear.
Think yourself lucky, my old Dutch collects spoons, and place wall plates, of which she has 200+ on the walls up the stair well, in the kitchen and our living room, the spoons are in 6 made to measure glass fronted display cases, again in the living room. The Kids bring them back from foriegn trips, and obscure locations in the UK, the family pile now resembles a bloody crockery shop, and a Sheffield cutlery museum. ( fails to admit that the rest of the gaff contains more army crap that a G10 store.)

A couple of others have mentioned Hogarth, but it is his portrait of George Arnold, which, when I saw it at the Tate, just stopped me in my tracks. No photo of it can do it justice - you can see the character of Arnold, the essence of the old boy perfectly captured.
george-arnold.jpg

Think yourself lucky, my old Dutch collects spoons, and place wall plates, of which she has 200+ on the walls up the stair well, in the kitchen and our living room, the spoons are in 6 made to measure glass fronted display cases, again in the living room. The Kids bring them back from foriegn trips, and obscure locations in the UK, the family pile now resembles a bloody crockery shop, and a Sheffield cutlery museum. ( fails to admit that the rest of the gaff contains more army crap that a G10 store.)
Females are a funny lot.
The missus' friends all live in houses crammed with all sorts of crap. Anime books, those awful figurines that witchy types like, one of them has a collection of robot Dogs of all things and were all supposed to marvel at & enjoy their hoarding.

I have a SMLE on the wall and they all do that "I wouldn't put up with that" routine when they come over.

My profile pic gives a clue.....Picasso self-portrait,interested in the surreal world of Rene Magritte as well.Too many to mention really
whama.jpg
hopper-edward-automat-8500078.jpg
10083437.jpg
gk009.jpg
picasso_woman_in_armchair.1913.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ciggie The NAAFI Bar 6
Heywood Jablomey The NAAFI Bar 146
greyfergie The NAAFI Bar 100