Who is your favourite Artist/Painter

Rolf:

Good artisit. not a nice man.
Nearly bought a limited edition print some years ago for £400. Now glad I didn't.

There are loads of who is your favourite threads so I thought I would start one on artists. This is brought about by a programme I was watching the other day about lost masterpieces, paintings that have disappeared, many during or abour WW2.

There are a huge number of artists and people will have their favourites which is the aim of this thread. Say who your fav is and why.

I have a lot of time for Monet and Toulouse-Lautrec and ceertainly like the works of Constable and of course that great English painter Turner.

However, my favouirite is a man who would probably fit right in here as an Arrsers. He lived quite a short life and produced some outstanding paintings in that period. He was a drunk, womaniser, murderer (well he killed a guy in a duel or while being attacked, stories vary), he blagged mopney where he could and spent a lot of it on prostitutes who he also used as models for the likes of the Virgin Mary.

The Man was Caravaggio, a man who knew how to use light to bring out the story of his pictures. Look him uop and see some of his great works.

View attachment 339477 View attachment 339478
View attachment 339479

This one of David with Goliath's head is supposed to be a self portrait of Caravaggio where he was pleading to the Pope for a pardon, showing himself as repentant. On his way to see the Pope, where he believed he would get that pardon, he disapprared, completely. No sightings, no body, noone claiming to have killed him so his death remains a mystery. Killed by his enemies, died of natural causes and just buried - nobody knows. he went out as he lived, probably very violently. He had no qualms about bringing violence to his canvases.

This is my guy, who do you like most of all?
Caravaggio was a real rock star.

Listened to this rather excellent 2 part podcast on the life of this talent

EPISODE 11 Caravaggio (Part 1): Light and Darkness

A real wild man. Knife fighting, gang wars, prostitutes galore

Couple of modern landscape painters for consideration (I have both of these prints):
Peter Symonds: Grange in Borrowdale (I've stood in the exact spot)

David Dipnall (again been in the exact spot albeit 25 years ago).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Salvador Dali 1951

St John of the Cross
A stunning painting when viewed in real life. The painting and its copyright belongs to Glasgow Corporation. I also saw a display of some jewelry that he had designed. This was back in 1974 in the Glasgow Museum and Art Gallery. I was working as a bin man at the time and took a day off to sign up for the Army. Great day out.
I agree that that is a stunning g piece of art.

It's impossible for me to pick an absolute favourite, but one who makes a big "impression" has to be Jack Vettriano?
I do enjoy Vettriano, but I much prefer his block colour faceless
the-billy-boys-.jpg
renderings of times past such as his canvas "Billy Boys". They always put me in mind of day trips out to the seaside in the early 60s.

I have a great affection for the travel poster medium that occured between the wars, again Vettriano- ish, and strangely comforting in this rapidly changing world.

For detail and technique Velasquez

1529857871180.jpeg

English, Augustus John

Just good, and a self portrait, Gwen John.

But them my surname is....

(not Velasquez!)

Rolf:

Good artisit. not a nice man.
Nearly bought a limited edition print some years ago for £400. Now glad I didn't.
Quite.
My wife & I nearly spashed out around £500.00 of a stunning Uluru at sunset which was on display at the Lomond Shores a few years back.
As it happens, an impending MOT & service swung it away.
Thankfully.

Salvador Dali 1951

St John of the Cross
A stunning painting when viewed in real life. The painting and its copyright belongs to Glasgow Corporation. I also saw a display of some jewelry that he had designed. This was back in 1974 in the Glasgow Museum and Art Gallery. I was working as a bin man at the time and took a day off to sign up for the Army. Great day out.
First came across this on the wall of my school "house" area (early '70s). Introduced me to Dali as an artist.
Later bought my parents a smaller copy which hung in their house for many years.
Regrettably didn't have space for it when they died, but really should have kept it.

Last edited:
I agree that that is a stunning g piece of art.
It's back in the Glasgow Art Galleries if anyone is in the area after a spell somewhere else...can't recall.
It did suffer huge vandal damage many years back, and you can see the outline of the restoration.
I think it was reinstated with the massive gallery restoration around 15 years ago.
Glasgow Art Gallery is really well worth a visit. You could spend a whole day.

I must also plug an old comrade of mine, he ended up flying choppers in the AAC in the 80s, but also quite accomplished. He also paints military themed pieces.
This, I believe hangs in the Whitby museum of Art.

museum-1-of-18-Oil-Painting-by-Dean-Regan.jpg

Canaletto. One of only a few painters whose work I won't just look at and move on. The fine detail coupled with the little quirks of humour and real life fascinate me.