Who is your favourite Artist/Painter

For a single painting that took my breath away the first time I saw it, Stubbs' "Whistlejacket". I'm not particularly fond of horses, but that larger than life rendition of a rearing stallion looked so alive, I was riveted to the spot for ten minutes.

Monet, Turner, Constable all float my canoe, as do Escher, Munsch and Lady Butler.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I have two favourites, the loony Richard Dadd (1817-1886) murdered his dad with a razor and painted this (The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke, took him 9 years) whilst incarcerated in Bethlem loony bin:
and Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516), his painting of Hell:
View attachment 339484
One of my favourites. Musical Hell was featured on a Deep Purple album cover, when we had the big old gatefold sleeves. Can't remember the album name.

When it comes to fine art, variety is the spice of life. All of these paintings were created by the same artist.

In this one, the opera house is reproduced in great detail while the square in front of it gives a real impression of space to be living in.

This is a similar type of architectural painting but the castle is possibly a metaphor for power wielded from on high, like the nest of predatory birds like eagles.

This one is much less detailed and precise, almost as if the artist blitzed it for a quick sale.

Ansel Adams, as I'm a bit of an Ansel Adams walt in my spare time, and he provides a lot of inspiration

I just love the way he brought landscapes to life, a lot of artists look down on it but to me it's most definitely art

Why do I get the feeling that at any moment an Orc army will emerge from the darkness, very sinister overtones.

When it comes to fine art, variety is the spice of life. All of these paintings were created by the same artist.

In this one, the opera house is reproduced in great detail while the square in front of it gives a real impression of space to be living in.

This is a similar type of architectural painting but the castle is possibly a metaphor for power wielded from on high, like the nest of predatory birds like eagles.

This one is much less detailed and precise, almost as if the artist blitzed it for a quick sale.

The top picture, Schlos neuschwanstine, Fussen, Bavaria, slightly out of proportion, and not as rugged as depicted. It gives the viewer the wrong perspective. Nice,.... but no cigar.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
An excellent idea for a thread, but I find picking a winner absolutely impossible. I like so many totally different genres and each has its raft of top performers. Easier to say what I don't like which is principally daubs by artists who can't actually draw, which as for so many things, stops the clock for me somewhere in the post-war world. Otherwise, anything from Hieronymus Bosch to WW2 poster art, bring it on.

Being an Art Deco enthusiast, I must say that I always enjoy works by Tamara de Lempicka,
I also have an appreciation for Otto Dix, both his "ugly" portraits, and his war art.

De Lempicka

images (2).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

Otto Dix

otto-dix.jpg

Cabaret anyone? Welkommen, bienvenue, welcome!

There are loads of who is your favourite threads so I thought I would start one on artists. This is brought about by a programme I was watching the other day about lost masterpieces, paintings that have disappeared, many during or abour WW2.

There are a huge number of artists and people will have their favourites which is the aim of this thread. Say who your fav is and why.

I have a lot of time for Monet and Toulouse-Lautrec and ceertainly like the works of Constable and of course that great English painter Turner.

However, my favouirite is a man who would probably fit right in here as an Arrsers. He lived quite a short life and produced some outstanding paintings in that period. He was a drunk, womaniser, murderer (well he killed a guy in a duel or while being attacked, stories vary), he blagged mopney where he could and spent a lot of it on prostitutes who he also used as models for the likes of the Virgin Mary.

The Man was Caravaggio, a man who knew how to use light to bring out the story of his pictures. Look him uop and see some of his great works.

View attachment 339477 View attachment 339478
View attachment 339479

This one of David with Goliath's head is supposed to be a self portrait of Caravaggio where he was pleading to the Pope for a pardon, showing himself as repentant. On his way to see the Pope, where he believed he would get that pardon, he disapprared, completely. No sightings, no body, noone claiming to have killed him so his death remains a mystery. Killed by his enemies, died of natural causes and just buried - nobody knows. he went out as he lived, probably very violently. He had no qualms about bringing violence to his canvases.

This is my guy, who do you like most of all?
You seem to like the high contrast Vermeer/Dutch type light angles - along with extreme gore.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You seem to like the high contrast Vermeer/Dutch type light angles - along with extreme gore.
I would contend that Vermeer was influenced by Caravaggio if anything and yes, I do like the dramatic that Michelangelo Mersi da Caravaggio brings to a canvas.

Last edited:
Salvador Dali 1951

St John of the Cross
A stunning painting when viewed in real life. The painting and its copyright belongs to Glasgow Corporation. I also saw a display of some jewelry that he had designed. This was back in 1974 in the Glasgow Museum and Art Gallery. I was working as a bin man at the time and took a day off to sign up for the Army. Great day out.

Hals, Visited the Riechsmuseum in Amsterdam and was amazed at the superb collection of magnificent works from so many great artists. Hals particularly caught my eye with his large seascapes. Well not so much seascapes as sky scapes as for all the bottom 1/3 -1/4 had sea or shore the bulk of the painting was the sky. His cloud work was excellent and in all his paintings caught the sky in all its moods from sunny days to stormy weather with everything in between. Well worth a visit.

I don’t suppose K-bag, Lover and Trip will pick up many votes on this thread?

He really should have stuck to hanging wallpaper.

30AA061E00000578-0-image-m-115_1453995192955.jpg

I don’t think I have any one. Caravaggio has had a lot of publicity lately. I’m not a great fan of people like Picasso who I think is vastly overrated, but I think I get Impressionism. Quite like JMW Turners experiments with light and Brueghel is quite good in a brutalist sort of way.

I think Turners huge variety of paintings is fantastic, both action and land/seascapes probably put him top of my list. In order to get the right feeling into his paintings, he had himself tied to a ship's mast during a storm, so that he could see what it was like

And yet his landscapes are so different