Who is this dude? It sure as shoite ain't who Brittanica think it is!!

I think the collective genius of Encyclopaedia Brittanica (misleadingly named these days, IMHO, 'cuz it's clearly in the hands of the ignorant Septics) has been fooled by this feller's cunning disguise - the wearing of a beret sporting more than one badge, but it's serpently not former Sandhurst bully-boy made good, Bernie (the Bishop's Son) Law Montgomery.

Beyond that, I haven't a scoobie, and Herr Professor Doktor Google has apparently fallen into the same trap as E. Britannica:

Months double? They made a film about it.
Dunno what it was called though...

MIchael Bates? Actor, played Montgomery in the film, Patton.
Looks like him.

Edit;

Doppelganger.jpg

Last edited:
Not him either then.
I'm thinking US B Movie or Italian cinema?

I think the collective genius of Encyclopaedia Brittanica (misleadingly named these days, IMHO, 'cuz it's clearly in the hands of the ignorant Septics) has been fooled by this feller's cunning disguise - the wearing of a beret sporting more than one badge, but it's serpently not former Sandhurst bully-boy made good, Bernie (the Bishop's Son) Law Montgomery.

Beyond that, I haven't a scoobie, and Herr Professor Doktor Google has apparently fallen into the same trap as E. Britannica:
That little badge on the right of photo is reminiscent of an Australian Colour Patch I've seen.

There's a whole site somewhere in internetshire somewhere... There's also @chippymick (I think)

Well, it's been in American hands for about 120 years so I suppose you could say "these days".
Funnily enough, they still manage to spell Britannica correctly even though they are Spams.

None of the above, to my eye, at any rate.

I suspect it's a pukka Brit VSO of about the same vintage, but not one who achieved much distinction.

Frankly I'm gobsmacked that Enc. Brit. have made such a howler, but not been castigated for it.

So I'm looking for grounds to castigate - I've time on me hands, obviously, and it's a way round the risk of cabin fever.

QRK2

LE
None of the above, to my eye, at any rate.

I suspect it's a pukka Brit VSO of about the same vintage, but not one who achieved much distinction.

Frankly I'm gobsmacked that Enc. Brit. have made such a howler, but not been castigated for it.

So I'm looking for grounds to castigate - I've time on me hands, obviously, and it's a way round the risk of cabin fever.
The "General's" cap badge seems to have something like an antelope/springbok instead of the crown though?

A Saffer,
Looks South African somehow.
That’s what I thought, a Saffer. The Tankies badge to the side of the General Staff cap badge. I’ve tried looking, I only found one senior officer’s photo and it wasn’t him. The two others I found didn’t have photos included.
The tank he’s in, is that a M3 Grant ?

Well, it's been in American hands for about 120 years so I suppose you could say "these days".
Funnily enough, they still manage to spell Britannica correctly even though they are Spams.
I'll make my corrections when they notice my errors.

Latest Threads