Who is the victim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I just read this article below on my news app and I am flabbergasted at the way the defence and even the judge portray the assailant. He killed a man, punched him from behind and everyone seems to think he is the victim, no parenting, left to run wild. I'm sorry that doesn't wash with me, everyone knows what's right and wrong.

A 14-year-old boy who killed a man on a street moments after wishing him a "Happy New Year" has been detained for three years.

Kyle Major, from Blackpool, followed his victim and knocked him to the ground by punching him in the back of the head from behind in an unprovoked attack.

Father-of-two Paul Walker, 52 and also from Blackpool, was believed to be unconscious before he hit the ground.

A passer-by found Mr Walker lying face down in the street in the early hours of New Year's Day this year.

His hands were still in his pockets when paramedics arrived.

He died shortly after in hospital.

Before Mr Walker was attacked, he had asked Major's friends for directions in Sutton Place, Blackpool.

He had become lost after leaving his sister's New Year's Eve party "in good spirits", the court heard.

He came across the group of youths - including Major - who told him where he was.

A girl in the group said Mr Walker seemed "lost, disorientated and affected by alcohol" but was "nice and friendly".

Major was heard to wish Mr Walker "Happy New Year".

But moments later the defendant and a male friend followed Mr Walker.

After felling him, Major ran off and later texted another friend: "I'm scared. Don't want to go to jail. Two/four years. Don't say anything."

He later claimed his friend filmed the attack on his phone, but no such footage has been found.

Major initially denied any involvement in the attack when arrested, but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Sentencing him at Preston Crown Court, Judge Anthony Russell QC said: "Your upbringing was unfortunate. You have been allowed to run wild.

He added: "Unprovoked violence of this kind is completely unacceptable and will be punished."

Major stared blankly ahead throughout the proceedings. He showed no emotion as he was led from the dock.

On the night of the attack, the boy had drunk six bottles of lager and a quarter of a bottle of whiskey, the court heard.

His parenting was described as "out of control" and he had seven previous convictions for non-violent offences such as burglary and theft.

The boy's lawyer, Julie Taylor, said at the time of the attack her client "was somebody at that stage in his life who perhaps did not have the parental guidance he needed at that time".

She said Major was now "extremely remorseful" and apologised to Mr Walker's family for what he had done.

Ms Taylor said Major's current foster family said he showed "a caring and kind side" when under their guidance.

One of Mr Walker's sons stormed out of the court as that comment was made.

Family members described Mr Walker as "a lovely man with a big heart", and his sister Harriet said she had not only lost a brother but "her best friend".

Judge Russell lifted reporting restrictions on naming the juvenile following an application from the media that the public interest in identifying the child outweighed his welfare..

There is another case of a 13 year old who just got 11 years for murder. Looks like he is going to get an excellent education in prison, get some decent qualifications and be set up for life and probably free by the age of 20.

A 13-year-old boy who admitted stabbing a man to death has been locked up for at least 11 years.

The child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to murdering Christopher John Barry, 53, in Edmonton, north London, last December.

The youngster's mother wept in court as he was sentenced at the Old Bailey.

The court heard the child had left a 13th birthday party with a group of friends to see another boy who was heading home on to a bus.

But on the their way back to the party, they went to the wrong block of flats and came across one of its residents, Mr Barry, who was outside the building with his girlfriend.

Mr Barry - a builder who was originally from Cobh, Co Cork - refused to let the three boys into the flats, the court heard.

After some "pushing and shoving" between Mr Barry and the boys, the defendant managed to get in the building.

He followed Mr Barry into the lift, pulled out a kitchen knife from his rucksack and said: "What you saying now? What you saying now?"

The boy then stabbed Mr Barry twice, the court was told.

A short time later, he collapsed in a pool of blood and went into cardiac arrest, she said.

Mr Barry died shortly afterwards.

Sabrina Finn, the girlfriend of Mr Barry - who was known as Jack - said in a victim impact statement: "I'm back at work now and although I walk, talk and look the same as I did before, inside I'm tired and my heart is broken.

"Jack and I had four happy years together and this young man has taken that away from me."

After the attack, the boy - who had been a gang member since he was 10 - told one friend he was going to prison and texted another: "OK, if anyone asks, I wasn't there today".

In his sentencing remarks, Judge Stephen Kramer told the boy: "You are only 13 years old but shortly after 7.30pm on the evening of 14 December, 2014, you were carrying a knife in your bag.

"You wanted to get into a block of flats but you went to the wrong block with tragic consequences for everyone involved."

He took into account the boy's remorse, which his mother wrote about in a letter that was not read out in court.

The judge said the letter also detailed a "troubled background as well as positive aspects".

The boy's lawyer, Michael Turner QC, described the case as "unique" and said in all his years as a barrister it was the only time such a young defendant had pleaded guilty to murder.
I'm seriously going to have to find happy news at some stage

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm in favour of trying to rehabilitate genuinely unfortunate youngsters who turn to gangs and drugs in lieu of any other direction in life, but randomly attacking someone or attacking with a weapon is a different kettle altogether.

Unless raised by wolves or on a desert island I can't think that anyone over the age of 5, anywhere, does not know that attacking someone is wrong, whether they had rubbish parents or not. It's trying to exert power over another person at the other's expense, and the attacker knows that very well. My personal view is that any such attacker should be dealt with with the same sentencing guidelines as would be applied to an adult.

There is a PC/liberal viewpoint these days that seems to side with the ‘unfortunate’ perpetrator that leave a lot of people baffled.

Victims rights seem to get disregarded and offenders are walking away with sentences that seem excessively light and inappropriate.

It is sending a message. Lack of consequence!

If a dog had randomly attacked someone, they'd be put down.

Just saying.

Jail these pieces of sh1t, for life. They are a danger to members of the public, and should be removed from the general population. Release can be considered only after they have been deemed no longer a threat, and they have been moulded by relevant support inside.

For the families and friends who have misled and/or offered them succor hand out generous community service requirements, remove other siblings if necessary and ensure they don't follow the same path.

Forceably split gangs/groups up, they're probably not in their own homes anyway. As this sort of thing always seems to be involve some cnut in a gang whose become an 'alpha' meeting someone who doesn't give the correct 'respec, innit'. Or as in the first case, some sort of fcukstick trying to become an 'alpha' by hitting a drunken man.

Once a individual and their family/friends have been thus treated, all of a sudden there will be community spirit which prevents this sort of thing.

I'm not surprised it's Blackpool. My advice, if you are ever in the place, is leave before the sun goes down!

I just read this article below on my news app and I am flabbergasted at the way the defence and even the judge portray the assailant. He killed a man, punched him from behind and everyone seems to think he is the victim, no parenting, left to run wild. I'm sorry that doesn't wash with me, everyone knows what's right and wrong.

A 14-year-old boy who killed a man on a street moments after wishing him a "Happy New Year" has been detained for three years.

Kyle Major, from Blackpool, followed his victim and knocked him to the ground by punching him in the back of the head from behind in an unprovoked attack.

Father-of-two Paul Walker, 52 and also from Blackpool, was believed to be unconscious before he hit the ground.

A passer-by found Mr Walker lying face down in the street in the early hours of New Year's Day this year.

His hands were still in his pockets when paramedics arrived.

He died shortly after in hospital.

Before Mr Walker was attacked, he had asked Major's friends for directions in Sutton Place, Blackpool.

He had become lost after leaving his sister's New Year's Eve party "in good spirits", the court heard.

He came across the group of youths - including Major - who told him where he was.

A girl in the group said Mr Walker seemed "lost, disorientated and affected by alcohol" but was "nice and friendly".

Major was heard to wish Mr Walker "Happy New Year".

But moments later the defendant and a male friend followed Mr Walker.

After felling him, Major ran off and later texted another friend: "I'm scared. Don't want to go to jail. Two/four years. Don't say anything."

He later claimed his friend filmed the attack on his phone, but no such footage has been found.

Major initially denied any involvement in the attack when arrested, but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Sentencing him at Preston Crown Court, Judge Anthony Russell QC said: "Your upbringing was unfortunate. You have been allowed to run wild.

He added: "Unprovoked violence of this kind is completely unacceptable and will be punished."

Major stared blankly ahead throughout the proceedings. He showed no emotion as he was led from the dock.

On the night of the attack, the boy had drunk six bottles of lager and a quarter of a bottle of whiskey, the court heard.

His parenting was described as "out of control" and he had seven previous convictions for non-violent offences such as burglary and theft.

The boy's lawyer, Julie Taylor, said at the time of the attack her client "was somebody at that stage in his life who perhaps did not have the parental guidance he needed at that time".

She said Major was now "extremely remorseful" and apologised to Mr Walker's family for what he had done.

Ms Taylor said Major's current foster family said he showed "a caring and kind side" when under their guidance.

One of Mr Walker's sons stormed out of the court as that comment was made.

Family members described Mr Walker as "a lovely man with a big heart", and his sister Harriet said she had not only lost a brother but "her best friend".

Judge Russell lifted reporting restrictions on naming the juvenile following an application from the media that the public interest in identifying the child outweighed his welfare..

There is another case of a 13 year old who just got 11 years for murder. Looks like he is going to get an excellent education in prison, get some decent qualifications and be set up for life and probably free by the age of 20.

A 13-year-old boy who admitted stabbing a man to death has been locked up for at least 11 years.

The child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to murdering Christopher John Barry, 53, in Edmonton, north London, last December.

The youngster's mother wept in court as he was sentenced at the Old Bailey.

The court heard the child had left a 13th birthday party with a group of friends to see another boy who was heading home on to a bus.

But on the their way back to the party, they went to the wrong block of flats and came across one of its residents, Mr Barry, who was outside the building with his girlfriend.

Mr Barry - a builder who was originally from Cobh, Co Cork - refused to let the three boys into the flats, the court heard.

After some "pushing and shoving" between Mr Barry and the boys, the defendant managed to get in the building.

He followed Mr Barry into the lift, pulled out a kitchen knife from his rucksack and said: "What you saying now? What you saying now?"

The boy then stabbed Mr Barry twice, the court was told.

A short time later, he collapsed in a pool of blood and went into cardiac arrest, she said.

Mr Barry died shortly afterwards.

Sabrina Finn, the girlfriend of Mr Barry - who was known as Jack - said in a victim impact statement: "I'm back at work now and although I walk, talk and look the same as I did before, inside I'm tired and my heart is broken.

"Jack and I had four happy years together and this young man has taken that away from me."

After the attack, the boy - who had been a gang member since he was 10 - told one friend he was going to prison and texted another: "OK, if anyone asks, I wasn't there today".

In his sentencing remarks, Judge Stephen Kramer told the boy: "You are only 13 years old but shortly after 7.30pm on the evening of 14 December, 2014, you were carrying a knife in your bag.

"You wanted to get into a block of flats but you went to the wrong block with tragic consequences for everyone involved."

He took into account the boy's remorse, which his mother wrote about in a letter that was not read out in court.

The judge said the letter also detailed a "troubled background as well as positive aspects".

The boy's lawyer, Michael Turner QC, described the case as "unique" and said in all his years as a barrister it was the only time such a young defendant had pleaded guilty to murder.
I'm seriously going to have to find happy news at some stage
I'd have thought anyone living in Blackpool is a victim.

Blackpool? The guys better off out of it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Everyone seems to know their "rights" but don't want to face up to their responsibilities.

Gorgonopsid

Old-Salt
Kind of makes you wish that old school coppers were still around, to dish out a heroic beating as the young scamp attempted to escape by falling up the stairs in the nick, thus saving the public the expense of a trial and prison.

Poppy

LE
Maybe people should be prevented from having children until they can prove themselves capable of bringing them up responsibly

Block Damages

Old-Salt
I'm not surprised it's Blackpool. My advice, if you are ever in the place, is leave before the sun goes down!

The sun - in Blackpool? It rained every single time that I was unfortunate enough to be there.

I recently saw a Ross Kemp documentary that took a look around Blackpool. Grim, very grim. Some of the people interviewed looked like extras from The Hills Have Eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads