Who is the most SNCO in the army

just being looking this up on the internet and cant find a definite answer. Searched but came up blank.

who is then

came across that but i heard of a rank called conductor in the rlc which is meant to be higher than everyone else

It's me. Just don't tell anyone.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
WO1 GSM Billy Mott OBE , Welsh Guards was a tom down south, met him at bluff cove, ******* good bloke for a HAT.

BCFC SAM - came across that but i heard of a rank called conductor in the rlc which is meant to be higher than everyone else

I was carted about on numerous of the old 'white elephant' busses and never came across one of those? However if he's the man who originated the "on the bus off the bus" routine then his power is indeeed imense and all reaching!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know a SSgt who has been in the army for 35 years, he's reeeally senior.
That will probably do it. Can't be Billy Mott or any Conductor chappy as they are Warrant Officers, not Senior NCOs.

They don't 'Conduct' anything, buses electricity or bands.

This argument has had tons of threads and the consensus has always been GSM LonDist or Academy Sergeant Major RMA Sandhurst.

I reckon it's GSM Londist myself.

Edited to add : Of course pedants will say that the senior NCO is a Staff Sergeant but I thnk the OP means highest person sans commission.

They don't 'Conduct' anything, buses electricity or bands.

This argument has had tons of threads and the consensus has always been GSM LonDist or Academy Sergeant Major RMA Sandhurst.

I reckon it's GSM Londist myself.

Edited to add : Of course pedants will say that the senior NCO is a Staff Sergeant but I thnk the OP means highest person sans commission.
This site reckon its the glorious loggies...
British Army Non-Commissioned Officer Rank Structure: Warrant Officer - UK's #1 Community: Navy, Marines, Army, RAF

I know Stacker, the argument has been going on for years hasn't it?

I have always thought of AcSM and GSM Londist because of their high profile appointments.

I'm going GSM Londist because of the new badge that HM just gave him, and because it is a unique appointment.

Conductors probably have de jure seniority but I reckon GSM Londist has the de facto gig.

So if AcSM, GSM Londist and an RLC Cdr go to a Mess dinner which is not any of their own Messes, who sits higher up the table? My money's on the loggie. That said, if you get to be that senior, you're probably smart enough to avoid situations like that.
According to Stacker's link it's the Conductor, if them's the rules then them's the rules.

The top boys are all technically equal:

THE QUEEN'S REGULATIONS FOR THE ARMY 1975
(Amendment No 26) February 2000 Refers

Appointments and Precedence 9.169. Warrant Officers Warrant Officer – class 1
(i)
Conductor, RLC
Royal Artillery Sergeant Major
Academy sergeant major, RMAS
Garrison sergeant major London District
(ii)
Master gunner, RA.
(iii)
Garrison sergeant major (except London District).
(iv)
Regimental corporal major
Regimental sergeant major.
Bandmaster
Staff sergeant major. RLC or AGC(SPS)
Sergeant major

However some are more equal that others.

The GSM LONDIST may have a shiny new badge (pun intended), but the AcSM has had one for ages and still ranks as the top from what I can see.

I have a vague memory that it's the AcSM that hosts the RSMs conference when it's held (if it still is anymore).

So it comes down to senior appointment rather than senior NCO (sic).

I reckon the actual appointment responsibilities reflect any implied seniority so draw your own conclusions.

The argument will go on and on etc.......

THE QUEEN'S REGULATIONS FOR THE ARMY 1975
(Amendment No 26) February 2000 Refers

Appointments and Precedence 9.169. Warrant Officers Warrant Officer – class 1
(i)
Conductor, RLC
Royal Artillery Sergeant Major
Academy sergeant major, RMAS
Garrison sergeant major London District
(ii)
Master gunner, RA.
(iii)
Garrison sergeant major (except London District).
(iv)
Regimental corporal major
Regimental sergeant major.
Bandmaster
Staff sergeant major. RLC or AGC(SPS)
Sergeant major
You omitted:

Any other appointment on the establishment of a unit or corps carrying
the rank of warrant officer, class 1, e.g. artificer sergeant major,
superintending draughtsman.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CH512O RLC 22