Who is our Patron Saint

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by COatELMPT, Jan 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my Signallers asked me this question the other day and I didn't have a clue, so I did the old CO trick. I told him to go and ask his troop leader and tell the subbie to inform me by Email within an hour.

The said subbie spent all day phoning Blandford and MCM DIV and has not reported back to me.

Somebody please enlighten me so that I don't look a c*** in front of the lads again.

Later

Happy in Elmpt

2. CO - long shot but as Sigs grew from the Engrs maybe St Barbara (Patron Saint of Engineers) could be a good bluff. I was invited to a dinner in her honour by a froggie enger - it's 5 Dec or there abouts.

OFO

3. St Jude?

Patron Saint of hopeless cases..........

4. The name Gabriel means "man of God," or "God has shown himself mighty." It appears first in the prophesies of Daniel in the Old Testament. The angel announced to Daniel the prophecy of the seventy weeks. His name also occurs in the apocryphal book of Henoch. He was the angel who appeared to Zachariah to announce the birth of St. John the Baptizer. Finally, he announced to Mary that she would bear a Son Who would be conceived of the Holy Spirit, Son of the Most High, and Saviour of the world. The feast day is September 29th. St. Gabriel is the patron of communications workers.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Why not ask the Padre, and make him look a c*nt instead?

6. St Michael, Gods Field Marshall and Patron saint of soldiers, coppers, paramedics and chainstores.

Trotsky

7. Did not know you lot were so into the Judo-Christian ‘thang’ - having the messenger of pagan gods as your badge and all.

8. Saint Nokia

9. Ah, the patron saint of getting a shot in - should've known :wink:

10. I doubt if we have one - but the nearest we do have (I would say) is St Barbera!

Why? well, she is the patrol saint of the Royal Artillery, which was created by the Royal Ordnance in Woolwich. This organisation gave birth to Engineer Officers who worked with the RA seige guns, which then gave way to the Corps of Engineers (Royal Engineers) who (as we all know...) was where the Royal Signals came from!!

Sound feasible? :?:

11. Well CO at Elmpt, I know that you know this cos I was there when another CO at Elmpt told you. It is of course St Bernadino of Sienna, he is also the Patron Saint of Information Technologists and Communication Workers - so that should rule us out as all we seem to do is put up tents and mind carparks(sic).

A very interesting character if you have time to read about him - appeared to have got more travel in 5 AD then we do in 2004AD.

Hey we are all volunteers!![/img][/url]

12. Correct the RA and RE is St Barbera

13. Scotchsilk, you cannot have been there when another CO at Elmpt told me, as they both got the question wrong in the last Officers' Mess Quiz night.

How did the operation go?

Later

Happy in Elmpt