Who has "the social skills of a whelk"??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why, our soon to be crowned Prime Minister of course. This must have made him choke on his porridge this morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=CUCCEVN13ABY5QFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2007/03/14/nbrown14.xml

"He is a control freak. He is taciturn. Secretive. He is uncooperative. And bloody moody,"

"One of the crucial functions of friends is to warn you of difficulties and tests of ideas that lie ahead. I have not seen that Gordon appreciated that is a quality of normal life, let alone one that is essential for government."

"He is a very serious person. He does not have the light side that Blair has. I hope for his own sake that he does lighten up. The pressures of being chancellor are one thing. But the pressures of being prime minister are greater. If you cannot relax and trust those around you, those pressures can become unsupportable."

"I do think he has problems dealing with people he has to work with. He finds it hard to work with people who are not 100 per cent committed, utterly loyal and uncritical. He is impervious to critical comment and objective advice. He does not like employing people who are not completely subservient to his views.

"That bodes badly for someone who wants to be team leader. You can run the Treasury like that, to a certain extent, but not a government. I don't think he will be a great prime minister as I don't think at the age of 56 you can change your character."

So it appears we trade in

1X obsessive control freak PM surrounded by a small cabal of yesmen and toadies who dare not even raise the prospect of doing this a different way for

1X humourless, paranoid and obsessive control freak PM surrounded by a small cabal of yesmen and toadies who dare not even raise the prospect of doing this a different way.

So that will go about as well as you might expect.

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Well, somebody must have voted for him. And before he becomes "The Great Leader" another load of morons will vote for him to get the job.

Don't you just love democracy!

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well, somebody must have voted for him. And before he becomes "The Great Leader" another load of morons will vote for him to get the job.

It would appear that apart from his initial election success as an MP, in Scotland, no-one has voted for him to assume leadership of the party.
    It used to be that party leaders (who get to become Prime Minister when their parties have enough seats in Parliament to form a government) were elected by an 'Electoral College' which was drawn from party members, not just MPs. Brown has, instead, been nominated as heir to the post by the present incumbent. I wasn't aware that the post was like the Royal succession, with an heir apparent.
    No votes have been cast, no election held for the post. So much for democracy.

4. blue-sophist

Bliar has declared Broon as his choice, but of course there will be a Leadership Election. Undoubtedly there will be a bit of horse-trading during the run-up, with meaningful inputs like "Vote for Broon or you'll never work again" or "Don't stand against Broon and you'll be a Minister / Lord in no time".

Democracy will happen, but not as we know it, Jim.

5. old_fat_and_hairy

Democracy will happen, but not as we know it, Jim.

Ah, democracy! Is this why 300 Spartans sacrificed themselves at Thermopolyae? To preserve freedom? To guarantee democracy? Or just to be the subject of films?

Labour is a party that talks constantly about 'democratic freedom' and is always whittling on about the 'People' and their right to choose. Wouldn't it be nice if we could.
    I understand that the Labour Party is about to change it's name again. This time the will be known as 'The Politburo'.

6. blue-sophist

I always worry about the need to mention "Democratic" ... The "D" word is found in the D** Republic of Kampuchea, the D** Republic of Yemen and numerous others. The common factor seems invariably to be a total LACK of Democracy.

Which is why I also worry about Liberal Democrats!

Whether Broon succeeds or not, remember that the good British People will exercise their democratic rights at a General Election in the not-too-distant future. At that point, 80% will stay at home, and the other 20% will probably vote for "a change". Of course, that change could be voting for the Broon Party. Glad I don't live there any more!

7. old_fat_and_hairy

I worry about Liberal democrats too. Lose sleep, often, thinking about them. Poor things, they need hel and strong medication.

I tend to use the 'D' word with a small 'd'. But I agree it is overused and in the remit of those aforementioned countries, very much an oxymoron.Oh well, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Hey! If I could translate that into French, it could be a well-used quote.

8. A...B...C..ah yes D...now let me see, Diseases..of leadership. There we are.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

Cuddles; you have removed the layers of obfuscation,cleared away the rhetoric and cut to the marrow of the problem. Those hazel, soulful eyes can clearly see straight to the point.

10. hum this doesnt bode well does it .....

11. Well at least I can happily sit back and say I didnt vote for these muppets, and anyone who did has absolutely no right whatsoever to complain, they were warned that they are muppets, but hey lets just go with the herd shall we? Thats always the easiest way. I finished caring ages ago, doesent change anything by caring.

12. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this.

The yoof Bliar used to have a sneer where he would lift one side of his mouth by contracting the muscles of his cheek. Most unattractive in my view. Magically, it suddenly disappeared! (Presumably by the liberal application of some sort of re-training exercise)

I now notice that the clod Brown has been smiling like a fool on nitrous oxide during all of his recent interviews ('cepting serious stuff like). This is presumably to present himself as less dooor. Probably been to see the same therapist as Bliar.

They fool nobody.

13. blue-sophist

From the same stylist who ensured Bliar's tie was crooked at his first TUC Conference.
    Spin spin spin spin spin ... may they disappear up their own ....

14. Unfortunately, they appear to fool sufficient people to secure an enormous majority in the Commons (about 24% of the electorate as I recall, but that's "democracy" for you).

Not only has he clearly been trained to smile more and be 'light-hearted' (my God that spin doctor is earning his money), he has also been sent off to comment on all sorts of things that are outside his remit in order to make him appear more versatile. He has been pictured hugging African kids, attempting to look empathetic in a primary school over here and so on. Of course, he has also had his teeth fixed, and I hope to God that someone is training him not to do that bloody ridiculous thing with his jaw ALL THE TIME. However, the big mystery is: what the f*ck did they promise that poor cow who married him in an effort to soften his image?

15. blue-sophist

Be fair ... he's just trying to stop looking like a fat pompous canute. Platic surgery might help ... one of those bags over the head with no kiddy air-holes, for example.