WHO GUARDS THE GUARDS?

Like anybody from a lot of backgrounds, some people just go off the rails and it’s not necessarily service related.

I knew a guy who got caught after he robbed a couple of garages in the Dover area. He had acquired a sawn off shotgun from somewhere.

He went away for several years. The underlying cause was apparently something to do with his family, particularly his father, who weren’t a poor lot by all accounts. His army stuff wasn’t a factor at all in what he did.

It was a shame. He was a really decent bloke who would do you a favour if he could. I used to borrow a motorbike off him to go home at weekends and after using it several times, I offered to buy it off him. He declined my money and said just keep borrowing the bike.

Then the garage stuff came to light.

Barring that, a really good lad!
Yeah, but did you get the bike after all?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Its PRU, Personnel Rehabilitation Unit. They’ve been around for quite some time now during my service the VSI from Operations were assigned to them as part of the rehabilitation and return to work/medical discharge process normally after leaving hospital.
Thank you.

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Yep, I can understand that. My ex-wife was diagnosed with MS back in about 1990. I don't know whether or not she was misdiagnosed but I noticed over the next 20 years she never got any worse and by 2012 sh3e was still capable of walking 5 miles or more. Yet she gets full disability allowance on the basis that she can't walk more than ten paces unassisted. She also gets a mobility car and had a stairlift put in at home paid for by DHSS, yet she runs a dog training business and competes at Crufts every year.
MS is a strange thing. I was taught that sufferers may have exacerbations which come one after the other, with an unsurprisingly short lifespan, or so infrequently that they can die of old age before their next one. And, of course, various degrees of severity and frequency between those two extremes.

Apologies, I wasn't denigrating those who have been diagnosed with PTSD and I badly worded my reply. The comment on PTSD was aimed at those who have self diagnosed, when in fact they have other mental health issues which were declared on enlistment, but the system chose to take at risk. These are the ones I was referring to as TU, and the majority are attempting to milk the system on the back of the genuine cases. At this point I'll bow out, as I've obviously nothing useful to add to this discussion.
I have to say amusing as the background is LR Jr is involved in mental Health work and every now and again he comes out with classics about the work he is involved with. You’d think he was bleeding heart, not a bit of it. He came in the other night with the raging hump about some person who’d given him a hard time and said, “If I hear I’ve got mental ‘elf one more time I’ll smack ‘em one” this particularly at the self diagnosed lobby who are just a pain in the arse. Then he Said “I’m surprised given some of the things in your life you don’t have MH issues.”
to this I responded. “Can’t happen, my dad told me I had no brains.“

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Its PRU, Personnel Rehabilitation Unit. They’ve been around for quite some time now during my service the VSI from Operations were assigned to them as part of the rehabilitation and return to work/medical discharge process normally after leaving hospital.
Makes no real difference to the meaning but actually, it’s Personnel Recovery Unit

It is in reply to your comment that it exists as an Illness, but is hard to diagnose. My reply tried to show that while it's a real and signifigant issue for many, it's been hijacked buy others to be exploited when no real ptsd exists.
That may well be the case, but it is no valid reason for the real sufferers being ignored along with the malingerers.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying PTSD doesn't exist, least of all Johnny Mercer. Not quite sure why you're including a rant about an MP and Government Minister in a thread on some scum bags who happen to have been Guardsmen, but hey-ho.
I dont rant, I simply related the facts. As you say, hey-ho.

MS is a strange thing. I was taught that sufferers may have exacerbations which come one after the other, with an unsurprisingly short lifespan, or so infrequently that they can die of old age before their next one. And, of course, various degrees of severity and frequency between those two extremes.
Yep, I have read up on the illness and it takes many forms. But the fact is that my ex was and is capable of walking long distances and of doing a days work. But she has been receiving full benefits for being unable to walk unaided for nigh on 20 years. Naturally when she goes out she uses crutches to get around. But when she walks the dogs the crutches they stay in the car.

Anyway apart from all that, who does guard the guards? I heard it said some years ago that the army is a microcosm of civvy street, just as there are baddies in civvy street there will be baddies in the army, just on a smaller scale.

ancient

War Hero
Many years back I recall a couple of infantry lads turning over a post office in uniform. They had cunningly fooled the cctv by wearing scarves over their faces but were given away by the butt numbers on their weapons .

PTSD does exist, pretty much anyone can get it, as its built around trauma, but as a permanant thing I have serious doubts.... I would go further and chance the argument, that middle age depression (35+) is little misunderstood and to an extent a figure of fun, but it would account for many of the symptoms.
As exhibited in some cases on Arrse ...?

Latest Threads