WHO GUARDS THE GUARDS?

1578953976335.png

Bonobo_Boy

Old-Salt
A mate of mine, ex-forces now plod, was talking to a fellow plod and mentioned PTSD, "Ah! You mean Squaddie whiplash?"for

edited to correct mong spelling

Last edited:
I should have also said that the majority of those we are dealing with are under 25, haver never done an operational tour and are basically TU - temperarentaly Unsuitable but that suggests that Capita recruited those who shouldn't have been, so we end up discharging ing them as ptsd - shock to their f**King system.
Presumably, they are discharged after they have been professionally diagnosed? If that is not the case it would certainly add to their problems. But your response doesn't address my point about people with PTSD - and related illnesses- being ignored. Furthermore, from what you say, it seems that your PRU (whatever that is) is running a campaign of deliberate discrimination against people who are ill in a similar manner to the way people who suffered "shell shock" during the first world war were classified as LMF (lacking moral fibre) and discharged or sent to prison.

I don't know about the "under 25's" that you refer to, my knowledge of PTSD sufferers concerns people that I know who have done operational tours and who can't get help. It appears that this is a deliberate policy of discrimination and as such, it is a disgrace.

I don't say that the army or the government are responsible for the illness occurring. PTSD often apparently occurs later in life and may be related to things that happened during childhood and individuals differ. However, simply classifying those who are deemed to be undesirable as suffering from PTSD is institutional idleness. It is also detrimental to those who are genuine sufferers.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This brought back vague memories from the 1st half of the 80's of 3 or 4 Jock squaddies jailed for robbing Building Societies in Glasgow.

My limited ability using google Fu only produced this

Mr Colin MacAulay, prosecuting counsel, told the court that Ennis was jailed for five years for three armed robberies in Belfast -- using an unloaded military rifle. In October 1985 he was jailed for four years at
the High Court in Edinburgh for the armed raid in Glasgow.

The Belfast sentence and the 1985 sentence were served concurrently.

The article refers to the RHF, my recollection was it was Queens Own Highlanders. The article could be wrong, likewise so could my vague recollection.

Or indeed, they could be 2 totally separate incidents and bank robbing was something of a background activity.

Not forgetting the Royal Scot who killed 3 to steal the contents of the Paymasters Bank run in the mid 80's.

Presumably, they are discharged after they have been professionally diagnosed? If that is not the case it would certainly add to their problems. But your response doesn't address my point about people with PTSD - and related illnesses- being ignored. Furthermore, from what you say, it seems that your PRU (whatever that is) is running a campaign of deliberate discrimination against people who are ill in a similar manner to the way people who suffered "shell shock" during the first world war were classified as LMF (lacking moral fibre) and discharged or sent to prison.

I don't know about the "under 25's" that you refer to, my knowledge of PTSD sufferers concerns people that I know who have done operational tours and who can't get help. It appears that this is a deliberate policy of discrimination and as such, it is a disgrace.

I don't say that the army or the government are responsible for the illness occurring. PTSD often apparently occurs later in life and may be related to things that happened during childhood and individuals differ. However, simply classifying those who are deemed to be undesirable as suffering from PTSD is institutional idleness. It is also detrimental to those who are genuine sufferers.
Apologies, I wasn't denigrating those who have been diagnosed with PTSD and I badly worded my reply. The comment on PTSD was aimed at those who have self diagnosed, when in fact they have other mental health issues which were declared on enlistment, but the system chose to take at risk. These are the ones I was referring to as TU, and the majority are attempting to milk the system on the back of the genuine cases. At this point I'll bow out, as I've obviously nothing useful to add to this discussion.

Whilst not disputing PTSD, it has become clear to me in the last 20 years that a compensation claim, a pension or a lottery win are seen as a legitimate “early retirement and pay off the mortgage“ option.

And as lottery wins are thin on the ground, a Compo Claim is the way forward. At any one time a staggering number of NSW Police and public servants are in the process of getting paid out for tragic events like “people shouted at me”.

Back in the 1990s Telstra the Australian government phone company had so many industrial deafness compo claims on the go that they agreed to pay out an instant no quibbles AUD18,000 for anyone who claimed and didn't dispute the payout. It opened a flood gate and everyone I knew who worked there put a claim in. Office workers, 18 year old kids who had just started, even girls on maternity leave. One of my best mates used his as a deposit on his third investment property.

Before the 1990s it was repetitive strain injury. Now its PTSD.

An incredible 27% of the Australian population are on a disability pension, or have cashed one out.

It doesnt seem quite fair to the other 73% of Australians.

Last edited:
I should have also said that the majority of those we are dealing with are under 25, haver never done an operational tour and are basically TU - temperarentaly Unsuitable but that suggests that Capita recruited those who shouldn't have been, so we end up discharging ing them as ptsd - shock to their f**King system.
Gotta fulfil the ethnicity quota

Apologies, I wasn't denigrating those who have been diagnosed with PTSD and I badly worded my reply. The comment on PTSD was aimed at those who have self diagnosed, when in fact they have other mental health issues which were declared on enlistment, but the system chose to take at risk. These are the ones I was referring to as TU, and the majority are attempting to milk the system on the back of the genuine cases. At this point I'll bow out, as I've obviously nothing useful to add to this discussion.
OK, understood and thanks.

Whilst not disputing PTSD, it has become clear to me in the last 20 years that a compensation claim, a pension or a lottery win are seen as a legitimate “early retirement and pay off the mortgage“ option.

And as lottery wins are thin on the ground, a Compo Claim is the way forward. At any one time a staggering number of NSW Police and public servants are in the process of getting paid out for tragic events like “people shouted at me”.

Back in the 1990s Telstra the Australian government phone company had so many industrial deafness compo claims on the go that they agreed to pay out an instant no quibbles AUD18,000 for anyone who claimed and didn't dispute the payout. It opened a flood gate and everyone I knew who worked there put a claim in. Office workers, 18 year old kids who had just started, even girls on maternity leave. One of my best mates used his as a deposit on his third investment property.

Before the 1990s it was repetitive strain injury. Now its PTSD.

An incredible 27% of the Australian population are on a disability pension, or have cashed one out.

It doesnt seem quite fair to the other 73% of Australians.
Yep, I can understand that. My ex-wife was diagnosed with MS back in about 1990. I don't know whether or not she was misdiagnosed but I noticed over the next 20 years she never got any worse and by 2012 sh3e was still capable of walking 5 miles or more. Yet she gets full disability allowance on the basis that she can't walk more than ten paces unassisted. She also gets a mobility car and had a stairlift put in at home paid for by DHSS, yet she runs a dog training business and competes at Crufts every year.

It is in reply to your comment that it exists as an Illness, but is hard to diagnose. My reply tried to show that while it's a real and signifigant issue for many, it's been hijacked buy others to be exploited when no real ptsd exists.
It is also the well-meaning assumption of many prospective employers.

A mate of mine, ex-forces now plod, was talking to a follow plod and mentioned PTSD, "Ah! You mean Squaddie whiplash?"
PTSD does exist, pretty much anyone can get it, as its built around trauma, but as a permanant thing I have serious doubts.... I would go further and chance the argument, that middle age depression (35+) is little misunderstood and to an extent a figure of fun, but it would account for many of the symptoms.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
It would assist us non-plod to know what a PSU is?
Its PRU, Personnel Rehabilitation Unit. They’ve been around for quite some time now during my service the VSI from Operations were assigned to them as part of the rehabilitation and return to work/medical discharge process normally after leaving hospital.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You may be cynical, but the fact is that it exists as an illness. The problem is that unlike a broken leg or an organic illness which are for the most part readily diagnosed, PTSD isn't. And so the lawyers have used it as a means to make money. We now have a circumstance where PTSD and related illnesses are widely ignored by the government and the medical fraternity as a problem to be shoved under the carpet.

I suffered from asthma as a kid and it was widely dismissed the 1960's as "hysteria" . Now it is recognised as an allergy-related illness and treatments are available.

"Johnny" Mercer"MP (ex- capt RA and marine commando), made mention in his maiden speech in parliament of the appalling treatment of veterans with PTSD., yet when he was faced with people writing to him for help he derided them and turned his back on them. It later transpired that he had accepted a job with a salary of 85,000 quid a year for 4 hours work a week, for a company that was ostensibly recruiting veterans. And now, he is a Minister. Call me cynical too, but there is a bad smell about it.
I don't think anyone is saying PTSD doesn't exist, least of all Johnny Mercer. Not quite sure why you're including a rant about an MP and Government Minister in a thread on some scum bags who happen to have been Guardsmen, but hey-ho.

Latest Threads