Who dumped the LAW in a rubbish tip?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Scabster_Mooch, Jan 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the article, it seems either the Singapore Army , the US army or the US marines. My bet is on the Marines or the US army because IME if a Singapore soldier did that, the government would mobilize an entire Brigade or more to search for the weapon. :lol:

2. Btw, I believe the Matador has been bought by the British Army under the name ASM - Anti-Structure Munition.
  3. So it is a tube then?

Given by the wiki insert

see more at the wiki.

Apparently good at anti armour and brickwork.

Anyone remember the 66 found on a amnisty in some cop shop?
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So is it illegal to dump an empty tube in a municipal tip?
  5. Rather hard to misplace one of these as they are not exactly small. The old 66 was easy to 'misplace': once got back into my pit from a live firing exercise in Redesdale where we'd had the rare luxury of more 66s than we knew what to do with.

Unpacking my bergan and against the back was an unfired 66. Was tempted to keep the bugger should I ever need to rob a bank but didn't have the balls. The CSM gave me a rather energetic chat when I handed it in to the armoury.

IIRC the 66 handed into the plod had already been fired and so was inert.
  6. Its not about legality imo though I think the media likes to sensationalize about the dangers of an empty metal tube with an optical sight. To be fair, the police did say it is not dangerous.

I think the more pressing issue is about accountability. If this was not found, how did the relevant army explain away the loss of the weapon? Without the expended munition, it would be difficult to prove that the weapon has been used, rather than sold to gangs.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

An empty tube is just that an empty tube! FFS if its not serial numbered then not only is it not accountable stoores thhen its also exempt a free from explosives certificate. disposal is a non issue! If it is serial numbered then tracing its last owners wouldnt take the brains of an archbishop now would it?
    Would painting a drainpipe green make it dangerous? Fecking stupid journo tossers!
  8. Watched the video.
    General idea seems good although some of the marketing video wasn't too convincing. It seems unlikely to me that it would demolish that sandbag emplacement unless there was a pile of explosives inside. The brick wall didn't seem to have any mortar in its construction.

Still, looks compact and handy, I like the mechanical initiation, folding pistol grip and pull out "prong" as a selector. Simple and straightforward.

Edited to add:

Of course if we were to purchase it we would have to have it extensively and expensively modified to give reduced performance at greatly increased cost. You heard it here first!
  9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

"I have no live rounds, empty cases or long drainpipe like things that scare journalists in my possession, Sir............except this green 3 foot pipe that nobody saw me walk off with."

Strange things happen, I suppose.
  10. It's no longer a weapon once fired, I know some guy who bought a LAW quite legally.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What weapon its just a tube FFS!
    In fact I have more reallistic looking things on my office floor, not to mention the shelves and they are/were subject to FFE cert or are resin inerts!
  12. As hazardous as any other bit of metal or plastic tube, but why let mundane facts get in the way of a sensational story?

"Army Loses Rocket Launcher; Scoop" will sell more papers than "Plastic Junk Found on Rubbish Dump".

I recall there was live 66mm left on a UK range, apparently after it had misfired, sometime in the late '70s. A civvy picked it up and was killed when it went off or he fired it.

The plods do it, too, with de-activated AKs and fired 66mms, to get a soundbite in the worthless rags. It gives the gullible public the impression that they are taking dangerous weapons from bad men, when they're just work-dodging useless cnuts, collecting scrap handed in by people.
  13. Not getting confused with the story from the 1980s of someone in a certain midlands based unit selling some he'd nicked? We Flog Rockets rings a bell...
  14. Wasen't even full of concrete who hasent felt like dumping a 94 in the nearist bin ?