• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Who downed Douglas Bader? Channel 4. NOW

Anyone interested?
"Aviation historian Andy Saunders goes in search of Douglas Bader's Spitfire in Northern France to discover what really caused the legendary flying ace to bail out of his plane in 1941."

Channel 4 .... 1910 hrs to 21.10 hrs.

Been on 10 minutes ... sorry ... slow typist. :oops:

Seen!!!!

Been watching it as I peer over the laptop... Looks interesting!!! :D

bovvy said:
Anyone interested?
"Aviation historian Andy Saunders goes in search of Douglas Bader's Spitfire in Northern France to discover what really caused the legendary flying ace to bail out of his plane in 1941."

Been a long long long.......time since I read, "Reach for the Stars/ Sky"<that fookin long I can't remember>

Don't think he was in a Spit...........

Was he??

jinxy said:
bovvy said:
Anyone interested?

Been a long long long.......time since I read, "Reach for the Stars/ Sky"<that fookin long I can't remember>

Don't think he was in a Spit...........

Was he??
I'm totally rats on history and military, but I always thought it was a Spit.
I just typed what was on Sky information. :roll:

It's been on before a while ago..... you want to know how it ends? :)

Really? I don't want to ruin it for anyone else........ NOT! :-D

Roger that..... Shot down by another Spitfire after being mistaken for a Jerry.

Sorted out by tallying up the German claims to RAF losses and the other way round. One extra RAF claim and RAF loss. I suppose it happened quite a bit.

PP,

as i mentioned previously, C4 have form for unfair criticism of WWII fighter pilots. Was there any physical evidence? or was this acusation based on the tallies only?

That rather confirms your hypothesis. 8O 8O

SkiCarver said:
I'd be interested to know the outcome, but C4 have form when it comes to making up very negative stories about WWII fighter pilots.
EDIT: Whoops!! I had started typing before your post.

Like I say it was a while ago, but there was documentary evidence, no German claimed shooting down Bader or hitting him. He visited the Sqn just after capture and congratulated them but they said they hadn't shot him down.

I can't for the life of me remember if they found the aircraft, but it seemed convincing to me.

Plant-Pilot said:
Like I say it was a while ago, but there was documentary evidence, no German claimed shooting down Bader or hitting him. He visited the Sqn just after capture and congratulated them but they said they hadn't shot him down.

I can't for the life of me remember if they found the aircraft, but it seemed convincing to me.
ok, i guess i should withhold criticism until i see the documentary myself.

Plant-Pilot said:
Roger that..... Shot down by another Spitfire after being mistaken for a Jerry.

Sorted out by tallying up the German claims to RAF losses and the other way round. One extra RAF claim and RAF loss. I suppose it happened quite a bit.
Channel 4 probably, think there was no other fighter aircraft involved in the Battle of Britain.................

I am almost possitive, he was in a Hurricane.........................But , there you go!

I gave you their conclusion..... I wasn't expecting to have to summarize the content of the documentary to prove it.
:?

Plant-Pilot said:
I gave you their conclusion..... I wasn't expecting to have to summarize the content of the documentary to prove it.
:?
sorry, didn't mean to imply that you should!! :oops:

I meant that it will be on youtube or some such and i can go and find it!!

or I could just fire-bomb channel 4's headquarters. oh decisions decisions....

Bader was a self-publicist, narcacistic [sic?] Tw@t

He was a total c0ck to his ground staff when a squadron/wing Commander in 1940-1.

As a POW he was often loathed by many fellow POW's (managed to get a Batman who he "unusually' treated like cack)

In 1941, with his usual flash of brilliant insight and operational acumen, fought tooth and nail to STOP British fighters being armed with 20mm cannon, in place of .303 Brownings that were demonstrably unsuited to bomber killing. (the Issues that had plagued No. 19 (F) Squadron Spitfire Mk1B's during BoB having been resolved, when the Mk VB appeared)

His tactical ideas, namely the "Big Wing" Theory had certain "issues" (like they would have cost the RAF air superiority over the South East of England, thus making an Invasion more plausible in 1940).

He repeatedly ignored directions to patrol particular locations, as he insisted on forming a "Wing' prior to departing to his patrol point.
Thus negating the whole concept of forward Interception, which was the Reason d'Etre for Fighter Command's whole system of ground control.

Persuaded Leigh-Mallory (also a C0ck for many of the reasons Bader was) to adopt the Bing Wing Theory.
Actively sort to ignore the requests of Park and "directions" of Dowding to conform to a system that had been painstakingly created since 1935 and was being tested to the limit in 1940.

Was a more than hapless participant, in the shabby treatment of Dowding and Park, in October 1940, after they had won the BoB. Sholto-Douglas replacing Dowding as AOC-Fighter Command, with L-M replacing Park as AOC No.11 (Fighter) Group.

He was instrumental, not an innocent bystander, in the removal of perhaps the two finest fighter force commanders in the world at that time. (Certainly the only ones who understood how to actually win a defensive air battle with the then available means). This may have proven. to have been a "issue" if Adolf had renewed the German daylight offensive in 1941.

All in all, Bader was a Self serving, insobordinate piece of Shi'ite, although he did have a certain ability to inspire "his" pilots, in the air and on the ground (by Shi'ite-ing on the rest of humanity on his customary manner)

Oh and I thought he was forced to bail out due to a Mid-air collision with a Bf-109F, that chopped of the tail of "Dogs Body"

IndianaDel said:
Oh and I thought he was forced to bail out due to a Mid-air collision with a Bf-109F, that chopped of the tail of "Dogs Body"
When captured he made no mention of a collision, but did ask the Galand's Sqn who shot him down. His story later changed to the 'collision' story later, probably when he thought he'd look stupid for being shot down by another RAF aircraft.