Who downed Douglas Bader? Channel 4. NOW

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by bovvy, Jul 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone interested?
    "Aviation historian Andy Saunders goes in search of Douglas Bader's Spitfire in Northern France to discover what really caused the legendary flying ace to bail out of his plane in 1941."

Channel 4 .... 1910 hrs to 21.10 hrs.

Been on 10 minutes ... sorry ... slow typist. :oops:
  2. Seen!!!!

Been watching it as I peer over the laptop... Looks interesting!!! :D
  3. Been a long long long.......time since I read, "Reach for the Stars/ Sky"<that fookin long I can't remember>

Don't think he was in a Spit...........

Was he??
  4. I'd be interested to know the outcome, but C4 have form when it comes to making up very negative stories about WWII fighter pilots.
  5. I'm totally rats on history and military, but I always thought it was a Spit.
    I just typed what was on Sky information. :roll:
  6. It's been on before a while ago..... you want to know how it ends? :)
  7. yes, 'cause i don't have a tv license! :D
  8. Really? I don't want to ruin it for anyone else........ NOT! :-D
  9. fcuk 'em, I want to know!
  10. Roger that..... Shot down by another Spitfire after being mistaken for a Jerry.

Sorted out by tallying up the German claims to RAF losses and the other way round. One extra RAF claim and RAF loss. I suppose it happened quite a bit.
  11. PP,

as i mentioned previously, C4 have form for unfair criticism of WWII fighter pilots. Was there any physical evidence? or was this acusation based on the tallies only?
  12. That rather confirms your hypothesis. 8O 8O

EDIT: Whoops!! I had started typing before your post.
  13. Like I say it was a while ago, but there was documentary evidence, no German claimed shooting down Bader or hitting him. He visited the Sqn just after capture and congratulated them but they said they hadn't shot him down.

I can't for the life of me remember if they found the aircraft, but it seemed convincing to me.
  14. ok, i guess i should withhold criticism until i see the documentary myself.
  15. Channel 4 probably, think there was no other fighter aircraft involved in the Battle of Britain.................

I am almost possitive, he was in a Hurricane.........................But , there you go!