Who does visits to primary schools?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by angular, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My lad (in Reception class at primary school) is doing a topic on soldiers. At least 3 of the parents of his class have been in, and maybe it would be good if someone went in to talk to the class about what it's like to be a soldier. It would be a million times better if it was a serving soldier, rather than an ex-STAB who's been out for 10 years and who would just look like a lost Walt in a playground. Who should I/they contact?

2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

The careers office, or local recruiting team

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Some schools also get grandparents in to talk about soldiering in WW2.
    The kids love the old boys.

4. Not sure I'd be happy with a recruiting team visiting a reception class. I think they pitch to a slightly older age group. Getting a veteran in might be a good idea.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

How about the RBL?

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They can generally find an 'old boy' who is willing to go in but quite often it will be someone who is related to either a pupil or a teacher.

7. How about an ex pupil??

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I only attend primary schools to effect a warrant.

9. If you wanted to go in, then approach the teacher yourself. They are more than willing to have people in from the outside, but be aware that some schools are quite hostile to forces/ex-forces, and believe you are nothing more than baby-killers! A Recruiting Office is more geared to recruiting, and R/Year 1 classes are a little too young, even for this government!

A Reception class if probably a little young to be talked to about Forces life - it's more effective at Year 4 and upwards. You have to be very careful what you talk about. Reception would just like the uniform and the medals, you might get asked about "guns" and "bombs", and you will always get asked if you have killed anyone, especially if you are collared by the older children in the school!

I'm currently teaching in a Year 6 class, and they love "war stories" - especially when my medals go in! However, you have to be careful not to glorify the whole thing, some teachers can get a little uncomfortable about it all.