Who does not know what D day was?

Lest we forget? June 6th is the 75th anniversary of one of the most important turning points of the 20th century: D-Day

D-Day at 75: Torontonians quizzed on WW2 history

Lest we forget? Or never learn? Disheartening how many are completely ignorant of WWII including Saudi chap who believes who won doesn't matter.

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
I know what D-Day was. One of my Residents, also a friend, was on the beach at the very start This was his second visit to France, having been there as part of the preparations six weeks before. He did other things after successfully leaving the beach, until come VE Day he was sent back to England. There he prepared for his next campaign, the invasion of Japan. As we all know, this proved unnecessary, so he was sent to Cardiff instead to dig up UXO that the Luftwaffe had kindly delivered. I was immensely proud to know him and was delighted when he was awarded the title of Chevalier de l'Ordre National de la Legion d'Honneur de France.

On the morning of June the 6th this year I thanked him - not for the first time - for not having to speak German and to have lived safely in Cardiff for my happiest years. On my way home I further marked the anniversary by singing to myself in Yiddish (a verse and chorus of Tum Balalaika) just because I can.

We lost him earlier this week.

Requiescat in Pace.

Not to mention DeGaulle was the only Chief of Staff who wasn't informed of the landings due to his big mouth.
Qu'elle amusant?
IIRC he had a shitfit over the printing of invasion francs so Allied troops could pay for items from the french citizenry rather then take it like the Germans.

then he had a shitfit over being given a script to read over the radio to the french

Someone should have shot him and let Giraud run things

IIRC he had a shitfit over the printing of invasion francs so Allied troops could pay for items from the french citizenry rather then take it like the Germans.

then he had a shitfit over being given a script to read over the radio to the french

Someone should have shot him and let Giraud run things

I'd have given the ungrateful twat to the Gestapo.

Thought it was:
French colonial troops outflanked Germans.
Germans withdrew from Monte Cassino ruins.
Poles were subsequently first to get to top.

And there's no disrespect to any of the US, British, Canadian, Indian and New Zealand troops, or Germans, that fought over that ground.
Maori battalion in there.
Still in existence, I believe

That man was an utter buffoon & liability as well as an outright shit bag.

His lot demanded that the Jeburgh & SAS teams who had been coordinating & helping the Maquis for along time be withdrawn from french soil asap after their group operational areas had been liberated so as to give the impression that the resistance was french born & bred. Was it fcuk. Most of them were pretty happy to play hand in glove with the germans, esp when it came to their own efforts to sort out the Jews - most anti Jewish legislation wasn't imposed by the germans at all.
The most ungrateful man in history

Latest Threads