Who does not know what D day was?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Vid of D-Day 75 at the COPP memorial on Hayling Island. Well attended and quite a lot of kids. Kids' choir did more than is shown but the wind made the sound recording nbg so could not be included. Ignore the 'lunch' bit at the end which is really a plug for the venue.

News of a campaign to fund a memorial to British military mine-clearance divers. “These are often unsung and unseen heroes who undergo some of the most arduous military training there is” . Statuette sale to honour clearance divers - Divernet.

"To raise £900,000 to fund the proposed memorial, the Royal Navy Clearance Divers Association (RNCDA) commissioned sculptor Greg Polutanovich to create a 54cm clay version from which to produce a strictly limited edition of 300 individually numbered bronze statuettes. More than 120 of these were sold in advance, each one priced at £2995."

The first men ashore on D-Day in 1944 were frogmen tasked with clearing away underwater obstructions and mines, so that Allied assault craft could land troops on the beach. RN and British Army clearance divers have been involved in every major British conflict since their inception, most recently seeing action in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.
MCDOA: Operation Neptune: Frogmen - The First Men Ashore on D-Day.

News of a campaign to fund a memorial to British military mine-clearance divers. “These are often unsung and unseen heroes who undergo some of the most arduous military training there is” . Statuette sale to honour clearance divers - Divernet.

"To raise £900,000 to fund the proposed memorial, the Royal Navy Clearance Divers Association (RNCDA) commissioned sculptor Greg Polutanovich to create a 54cm clay version from which to produce a strictly limited edition of 300 individually numbered bronze statuettes. More than 120 of these were sold in advance, each one priced at £2995."

MCDOA: Operation Neptune: Frogmen - The First Men Ashore on D-Day.
During the 65th anniversary I met an old boy who had been an officer on one of the diving beach-reconnaissance missions. On the night of 31st Dec 43 he was on what was to become Gold Beach, along with an NCO, taking samples of sand, shingle and mud and surveying the beach-slope. They were half-way back to the sub, when he thought he heard his NCO shouting for help. He swam back to assist, only to find that he was saying "Happy New Year Sir!"

"Shut up and swim, you silly bastard!" was his reply.

I can't remember if it was the same mission, but he accidentally left a trowel behind on the beach. Because the beach was going to be an actual landing beach, an RAF Special Ops squadron was then tasked with dropping identical trowels on beaches along the entire French, Belgian and Dutch coastline...

I later heard him repeat this story on TV and the RAF/trowel story was confirmed by an RAF historian. :)

On the subject of young 'uns and battlefield tours: One young lass on one of my tours actually asked the question "So, were the Germans on our side, Sir?" Jesus wept...

However, she was a very bright girl, just INCREDIBLY badly-educated, for whom history lessons consisted of being able to describe how a peasant Saxon girl felt about eating turnips and dying of various interesting communicable diseases in 8th Century England. She was however, an absolute sponge, just waiting to absorb knowledge that nobody had bothered giving her because she was a chav.

Once we'd got the basics out of the way ("There was this Austrian bloke Hitler, who everyone thinks was German and who was a very bad man...") she constantly asked intelligent questions and by the end of the tour could debate the merits and disadvantages of Shermans and Panthers with the best of 'em. She came back a second year and then a third year, by which point she was answering other kids' questions for me.

She's now in her mid-20s and out of the blue asked me last week if she could have all my old tour itineraries and handouts, as she'd like to take her family and friends on a battlefield tour... :)

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
Was the french (Morrocains and assist by the poles who won Monté Cassino, by the way

Was for a while an expression in the Brit Army. .. "do a Goumie" = dare or die

Was the french (Morrocains and assist by the poles who won Monté Cassino, by the way

Actually it was the Poles who finally took the Abbey NOT the crapauds.

12th Polish Padolian Lancers (Dismounted)

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
They, the Polacks were there, i grant you (but from when, iask you)
(Cassino ) is a valley
We (french 2 DB) over took what Yanks and Brits couldn't
The over all Victory
Was down to foriengers
Did you ever watch that film. , Italien? You know, "La Ciociara" ...1960/61 by Vitorrio de Sica and starring Sophie Lorene ?
Was 12 or 13 when I did, I belive
Why do not hear much? You were (abesent? ) Like the Yanquee?

They, the Polacks were there, i grant you (but from when, iask you)
(Cassino ) is a valley
We (french 2 DB) over took what Yanks and Brits couldn't
The over all Victory
Was down to foriengers
Did you ever watch that film. , Italien? You know, "La Ciociara" ...1960/61 by Vitorrio de Sica and starring Sophie Lorene ?
Was 12 or 13 when I did, I belive
Why do not hear much? You were (abesent? ) Like the Yanquee?
The Objective was the Abbey. the Objective was taken by the Free Poles

Sorry I dont speak Crapaud so you'll have to use a babelfish translator for english

By the way I hadnt realized you are in your 90's and presently took the abbey, trooper....

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Neither of which would have been there if it wasn't for Britain. I bet you think Napoleon won at Waterloo too.

During the 65th anniversary I met an old boy who had been an officer on one of the diving beach-reconnaissance missions. On the night of 31st Dec 43 he was on what was to become Gold Beach, along with an NCO, taking samples of sand, shingle and mud and surveying the beach-slope. They were half-way back to the sub, when he thought he heard his NCO shouting for help. He swam back to assist, only to find that he was saying "Happy New Year Sir!"

"Shut up and swim, you silly bastard!" was his reply.

I can't remember if it was the same mission, but he accidentally left a trowel behind on the beach. Because the beach was going to be an actual landing beach, an RAF Special Ops squadron was then tasked with dropping identical trowels on beaches along the entire French, Belgian and Dutch coastline...

I later heard him repeat this story on TV and the RAF/trowel story was confirmed by an RAF historian. :)

On the subject of young 'uns and battlefield tours: One young lass on one of my tours actually asked the question "So, were the Germans on our side, Sir?" Jesus wept...

However, she was a very bright girl, just INCREDIBLY badly-educated, for whom history lessons consisted of being able to describe how a peasant Saxon girl felt about eating turnips and dying of various interesting communicable diseases in 8th Century England. She was however, an absolute sponge, just waiting to absorb knowledge that nobody had bothered giving her because she was a chav.

Once we'd got the basics out of the way ("There was this Austrian bloke Hitler, who everyone thinks was German and who was a very bad man...") she constantly asked intelligent questions and by the end of the tour could debate the merits and disadvantages of Shermans and Panthers with the best of 'em. She came back a second year and then a third year, by which point she was answering other kids' questions for me.

She's now in her mid-20s and out of the blue asked me last week if she could have all my old tour itineraries and handouts, as she'd like to take her family and friends on a battlefield tour... :)
Lovely, thankyou ☺

At the planning HQ for Overlord,saluting was banned. Apparently de Gaulle was the only senior officer who insisted on being saluted.
And he stopped Britain joining the Common Market. Twice.

Thought it was:
French colonial troops outflanked Germans.
Germans withdrew from Monte Cassino ruins.
Poles were subsequently first to get to top.

And there's no disrespect to any of the US, British, Canadian, Indian and New Zealand troops, or Germans, that fought over that ground.

ches

LE
At the planning HQ for Overlord,saluting was banned. Apparently de Gaulle was the only senior officer who insisted on being saluted.
And he stopped Britain joining the Common Market. Twice.
That man was an utter buffoon & liability as well as an outright shit bag.

His lot demanded that the Jeburgh & SAS teams who had been coordinating & helping the Maquis for along time be withdrawn from french soil asap after their group operational areas had been liberated so as to give the impression that the resistance was french born & bred. Was it fcuk. Most of them were pretty happy to play hand in glove with the germans, esp when it came to their own efforts to sort out the Jews - most anti Jewish legislation wasn't imposed by the germans at all.

Of course. ..no one remembers Wellyton
Evry
one knows the Emperor

Wellington...........every....sort it out old chap, us old blokes have a hard enough time
reading some of the wibble posted, not made any easier by bad syntax and spelling.

Late edit to add:- No 1 london, Apsley house, Home of Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington, his descendants still live there, and is open to the public. In horse guards on the first floor, overlooking Whitehall, is wellingtons conference room, still used, and left untouched for more than 250 years,............ so tell me, where do the descendants of napoleon live?

Last edited:
That man was an utter buffoon & liability as well as an outright shit bag.

His lot demanded that the Jeburgh & SAS teams who had been coordinating & helping the Maquis for along time be withdrawn from french soil asap after their group operational areas had been liberated so as to give the impression that the resistance was french born & bred. Was it fcuk. Most of them were pretty happy to play hand in glove with the germans, esp when it came to their own efforts to sort out the Jews - most anti Jewish legislation wasn't imposed by the germans at all.
Not to mention DeGaulle was the only Chief of Staff who wasn't informed of the landings due to his big mouth.
Qu'elle amusant?

Latest Threads