Who does not know what D day was?

Partially true story - The British covered 1 sector of the front the French the other - It wasn't the case that either legged it and the other did all the fighting (Some British versions have the French running off and the British valiantly holding the Line) Towards the end it was predominantly French units on the Final perimeter - but the fighting withdrawal to buy time to evacuate was done by both.

Fair few British Units were sacrificed in the rear guard as well

You also ignore that of the 350 000 lifted off the beaches over 100K were French.

The Debacle in France 1940 Lies at the feet of successive French Governments who neutered French Army Command and Gamelin who was so confident that Germany was determined to refight WW1 - he committed the armoured reserve to Belgium over protests from French commander - That Force had it remained in Situ could have blocked the Ardennes gap buying time for the Armies to redeploy.

The Ardennes sucker Punch Left the French and British no choice but to retreat and a well fought determined fighting withdrawal it was - not a rout .
There was no force capable of stopping it in France and It was aimed between the Forces in Belgium and their supplies. The Allied Armies didn't really have much choice but to fall back and those on the left flank escape by sea.

Britain took its own troops off 1st - but dont forget it never envisaged getting more than 25000 off and this would keep it in the war so it was a logical decision and of course Troops were landing in France even as the BEF was evacuated.

A well executed German Plan - French Command paralysis and inflexibility are the cause of the debacle - the men on the ground were not. Even 2nd Army which collapsed like a house of cards - did what it could lacking as it did anti tank weapons, anti aircraft weapons and air support - add to that they had spent 12 months digging and building not training - They were never going to stand up to a determined Armoured attack

The Wegland?? line allowed the French to fight the battle their commanders expected - Gave the Germans a quite a bloody nose -
And most of the French troops went back to France, ostensibly to fight on. We know how that went. Only a few thousand stayed to join the Free French army.

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
If you've been in the Legion since 83, English is more likely a second language to you nowadays.
Not being rude, I'm genuinely interested. Do you still see yourself as a Jock or have you got more French tenancies now.
Neither to be honest , any more
Sort of lost my way
Brit exit the Scottish Indy référendum and all that
Age, expérience, son has grown up (22) Brought him up on my own
No résidence card from the french
Prohibited from leaving the country with the child
Sod their capers
I will shake my own thing
Am decorated and theirs no way they are going to expulse me. ..
Speak Italian a bit, am not that far away
Have a regular income and without getting out of the bed in the morning
Legal presence obliged. Am thinking of spending the 6 months autherised out of France. ..Italy and Spain 2×3 months. Can be done in drabs

PostShitum : actually am watching Downton Abbey
Call it Escapism

Last edited:
Bergan Belsen, Passing through while on a duty run in 1977, I stoped off, and In uniform went inside, the boxheads seamed to view it with an inquisitive detachment, many of the younger ones smoking, or eating sweets, I did see, who I can only think were survivors or their descendants, openly weeping, it shook me to the core, to see in all its horrific simplicity the mass burial pits, and history in the documentation centre, the planned, deliberate industrial state sanctioned murder and disposal of living human beings, on a scale never seen before in the history of man. Very sobering for a young, and somewhat naïve soldier. Made all the more poignant, as my mothers extended family, who were left behind in 1903, when her grandparents, and mother escaped from the pale of settlement, were in WW2 slaughtered by the Germans, and who knows, maybe in the very same camp I visited.
I was once stagging on the main entrance to Hohne Camp. The one opposite the Dutch car dealer’s place. Lovely hot day and of all things a London black cab turns into camp and pulls up. About four people and lots of luggage in it.
“‘Ere mate, we’re looking for Belsen. Do you know where it is?” Says cabbie.
I reply “Of course, sir, turn around, right onto the main road and it is a short way on your right. Look for the sign. If you get to x you have gone too far.”
“Cheers, mate.” He says, lighting a fag. “If you don’t mind me saying so, your English is pretty good.”
I replied “I am English, and there are probably about 2000 Brits behind this barrier.”
He dropped his cig in astonishment, recovered it, said thanks again, turned around and rumbled off.
I told my relief he may have a lost London cabbie return for further directions and was told not to be a twat.

Neither to be honest , any more
Sort of lost my way
Brit exit the Scottish Indy référendum and all that
Age, expérience, son has grown up (22) Brought him up on my own
No résidence card from the french
Prohibited from leaving the country with the child
Sod their capers
I will shake my own thing
Am decorated and theirs no way they are going to expulse me. ..
Speak Italian a bit, am not that far away
Have a regular income and without getting out of the bed in the morning
Legal presence obliged. Am thinking of spending the 6 months autherised out of France. ..Italy and Spain 2×3 months. Can be done in drabs

PostShitum : actually am watching Downton Abbey
Call it Escapism
How no residence card?

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
Had one issued but not delivered
It was the Prefet (top Cop) of Nîmes who decided so. Didn't want ex legionnaires of my type hanging about on his turf. As the ex missus was up the duff at the time. No way i was going to settle any where else.
It's been a long battle. All before Schengen agreements

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Tracing paper? Tell me you didn't get it from the bog in the NAAFI.
"Council property, now wash your hands please".

Well quite. Might as well use your hands in the first place.

Sure, why not, am a open book. Nowt to hide. Ken where i come frum. Ken where i've been and know where am not going to
Even other Jocks i have known in the Legion or else where, can barely understand my accent (it's paricular. ..north Perthshire tinker)
It's not a stigmat for me. Puts a bit of colour on the personnage
When i talk in english to english (especially the south east)
They usually do not have a clue to what i had said, but they do smile back in a so called polite fashion (asking their selves, W.T.F.?.....bless their hearts, must admire their good will)
I was born this way and am no changing nowt
Post Shitum :
Téléphone only serves to check out my football coupon and the horses.Plus the occasional dribble i post on forums
Haven't called no one in serval years, especially the administration. They hang up on me within 2 mins
Btw : am happy with this

My fellow short arrse, I know exactly where you're coming from. When I entered civvy street, and became "upset" with my workmates, by the expression on their faces I knew I'd wasted my breath. They new I was not best pleased, but they hadn't a clue what I'd said!

In one job someone asked me why they could understand me better over the 'phone, than when we were face to face. I replied it was because I knew any accent was harder to understand on the 'phone. Therefore I made a conscientious effort to slow my normal "verbal machine gun," as The Big Yin described a Weegie in full flow, right down . It's all very well keeping the tongue, but we've still got to communicate with the English bast bods.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Jez lass, how old were you when you did those? There brilliant!
Sorry to disappoint , they were pretty much copied from a text book. I would have been 15/16 years old.

The only interesting thing to come to light was my obvious fascination with maps

Had one issued but not delivered
It was the Prefet (top Cop) of Nîmes who decided so. Didn't want ex legionnaires of my type hanging about on his turf. As the ex missus was up the duff at the time. No way i was going to settle any where else.
It's been a long battle. All before Schengen agreements
Sounds shit mate. Least they could do, then where you live when discharged is up to you. Hardly a “thank you for your blood, sweat and service”, is it?

Last edited:

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
Don't really care that much to be honest. They owe me and i owe them nowt. Also, i have no british ID (passeport). Causes some prejudices but i usally find a way around it.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
My fellow short arrse, I know exactly where you're coming from. When I entered civvy street, and became "upset" with my workmates, by the expression on their faces I knew I'd wasted my breath. They new I was not best pleased, but they hadn't a clue what I'd said!

In one job someone asked me why they could understand me better over the 'phone, than when we were face to face. I replied it was because I knew any accent was harder to understand on the 'phone. Therefore I made a conscientious effort to slow my normal "verbal machine gun," as The Big Yin described a Weegie in full flow, right down . It's all very well keeping the tongue, but we've still got to communicate with the English Overlords.
Noblesse Oblige old boy

Don't really care that much to be honest. They owe me and i owe them nowt. Also, i have no british ID (passeport). Causes some prejudices but i usally find a way around it.
your choice, but as British by birth, the only snag would be the length of time to process your application through the bureaucratic inefficiency.

Noblesse Oblige old boy

But of course. It was very noble of me to oblige you English, by slowing down my machine gun delivery to a rate you could comprehend. My stock answer/question to being misunderstood was, "You mean I can speak faster than you can think?" Went down a treat.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
But of course. It was very noble of me to oblige you English, by slowing down my machine gun delivery to a rate you could comprehend. My stock answer/question to being misunderstood was, "You mean I can speak faster than you can think?" Went down a treat.
Well yes I am sure you can, it isn't really a talent to speak without thinking though. :wink:

Well yes I am sure you can, it isn't really a talent to speak without thinking though. :wink:
It's not really a talent to speak faster than an Englishman can think, either.

Or a Mod.

Latest Threads