Who does No. 10 belong to?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by commission_impossible, Jun 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Settle an arguement...

Who does Number 10 belong to? I recon it's the PM's for as long as he's PM (since it was originally a gift from the monarch to whoever's First Lord of the Treasury) and that it's not officially a government building (even if a lot of government business happens there).

I've got a mate who thinks it belongs to the tax payer and is a government building and as such CMD's a bit out of order hanging the English flag from a building of the British government.

Anyone know for certain?

2. If you are talking about No. 10 Rupee Avenue, Dagenham, it belongs to Mr and Mrs Kennett.

3. Number 10 was originally three houses. In 1732, King George II offered them to Sir Robert Walpole who accepted on the condition that they be a gift to the office of First Lord of the Treasury rather than to him personally. Walpole commissioned William Kent to join the three houses together. It is this larger house that is known today as Number 10 Downing Street.

4. That's what Wikipedia says.

The crux of it is I always thought it was the PM's house to do pretty much what he wanted with as long as he held the office. Hence, English flag not a problem 'coz it's his house.

My mate recons so much taxpayer's money gets spent on it that it belongs to us and the PM can't go hanging things off it willy nilly.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I have got a packet of Embassy No 10s' at home. So I reckon there mine.

6. Tell your mate he is free to hang what ever he likes from his house. Which is why a 6ft German flag currently hangs from mine, and has done for every international football competition since 2000.

7. Downing Street was built as a result of one man’s scheming. (nothing new there then :) )

Sir George Downing was an enterprising rogue – a spy, traitor and shady property developer – who saw building houses on prime London land as a means to get rich quick. (Must have been a Tory :) )

In 1654 Downing acquired the Crown interest in the land, but he could not take possession as it was under lease to Knyvet’s descendents. It was not until 1682, nearly 30 years later, that Downing finally secured the leases to the property.

He quickly set about the project, pulling down existing properties. In their place sprang up a cul-de-sac of 15 or 20 terraced houses along the northern side of Downing Street.

Designed for a quick turnover, Downing’s houses were cheaply built, with poor foundations for the boggy ground. Instead of neat brick façades, they had mortar lines drawn on to look like even-spaced bricks. (He must have been related to Barett)

The original numbering of the houses was completely different to today’s. The number sequence was haphazard, and the houses tended to be known by the name or title of their occupants. The current Number 10 started out life as Number 5, and was not renumbered until 1779.

Downing’s house is only half the story. The present Number 10 is made up of two houses joined together: Downing’s cheap terrace house at the front, and a much grander building, overlooking Horse Guards Parade.

The house on Horse Guards was built around 1677. It became the home of the Countess of Lichfield, daughter of Charles II. As befitted her station, it was much more impressive than the terrace behind.

The surveyor in question was Sir Christopher Wren, the architect responsible for St. Paul’s Cathedral and some of Britain’s greatest buildings.

After the Lichfields left in 1690, the house passed to Lord Overkirk – William III’s Master of the Horse. Then in 1720, after the deaths of Lord Overkirk and his wife, ‘Overkirk House’ was renamed ‘Bothmar House’ after its new resident, Count Bothmar.

Count Bothmor died in 1732. The last private resident of Downing’s terrace was one Mr Chicken. Little is known about him except that he moved out in the early 1730’s.

At that point, the terrace on Downing Street and the house on Horse Guards began their association with the office of prime minister.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that's probably not the case - I'd imagine the Plod would be on to you sharpish if you hung anything there that they didn't like. They have no end of legisalation allowing them t ostop you doing things nowadays :(

9. Sounds f*cking mega on the lash with you two, do you fashion amusing faces into peanuts with your poppy pins whilst quaffing halfs of Golden Pippin?

10. Would anyone want it after McRuin lived there? Imagine, the swamped mattresses & soft furnishings, chunks out of the plaster from flying phones and a lingering smell of nappies*, Paras' spunk, porridge, arbroath smokies & haggis? Bet his march-out took weeks ;)

*Gordo's, not the kids...

11. Good point. But national flags surely are not an issue? Never been with me.

12. I bloody hate these flags hanging from the local council houses (& cars).

Aside from the fact that a perfectly good St Georges cross is not recognisable to the average chavmong unless it's been defaced with some sort of Association Football legend they are not raised at sunrise & lowered at sunset. End result is tattered, limp, dirty flags which hardly inspire.

So much for the Untermensch's pride in "Engerlund" as they insist on calling this fine land ;)

13. Apparently, the place is falling apart having been built on stakes driven into the mud. IIRC it practically had to be rebuilt in the early 1970s as it was found to be in danger of collapse. The Yanks were very critical of the place after George Bush's visit, but they're used to Fortress Whitehouse.

Apparently the police who work in No 10 aren't allowed to go into some rooms, because they're dangerous rather than because Gordon's rocking horse is in there.

Clearly, a new lair for the PM will be needed sooner rather than later. The following designs were submitted by politicians:-

Gordon Brown (remember him?)

[​IMG]

Tony & Cherie

[​IMG]

Peter Mandelson, Ted Heath, Jeremy Thorpe, Mark Oaten etc

[​IMG]

So where should the PM's new residence/office be built and what features should it have? I'd suggest:-

Safe room where the PM can be locked in to keep us safe from him?

Runway for Blair Force One?

NBC bunker as in the Whitehouse?

Secret entrance to smuggle in mistresses/rent boys/pizzas?

Dormitory for Imperial Eunuchs as in the Forbidden City?

Whitehouse style situation room/PEOC where the PM can watch Big Brother reruns or teleconference with other world leaders?

Dr Strangelove style War Room where the PM can plot the demise of the world. Note: War room must feature a prominent sign stating "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room."

14. A bit of a long shot I know, but has anyone off here actually been inside the place and cased the joint ?

15. That maybe the case, but No 10 has never been razed to the ground, unlike the White House :D