Who do you bank with? Particular perks?

.............and all shops shut Wednesday afternoons, and you could only buy beer and spirits in pubs and off licenses, and railway stations had booking offices, and the police walked the beat, and busses had conductors, and petrol was only 2/- a gallon, and a single record was 2/6d, and a weeks holiday for 4 in the UK cost £41, and nobody had double glazing, and only one channel on the TV, and schools had strict discipline, Ridgeley enforced. and bread and milk was delivered to your door, and hanging was a deterrent, and prisons were feared and loathed as grim horrible places. And politicians were on the whole moral and honest, and KFC & McDonalds did not exist on mainland UK, every body was healthier than today, obesity was un heard of, we had a far larger army than today, and we made ships, trains, cars, motorbikes, and had a massive fishing fleet, and a coal industry , and had some standing in the world, and I and many thousands of others lived through it, and survived without I-pods, smart phones, computers, face page, twitter, grinder and a host of other brain rotting "Apps" that are draining the intelligence and free will from the young and impressionable.
When work ethic was a badge of honour, and not today considered something to aspire too. end of old farts rant.

Poverty was rife, fatal child and adulthood disease were not uncommon, and life expectancy was much lower...

They know about it now, expect a very early AM wake up call,..... have a nice day!
Went out with a girl from Darlo in the late 80ies. She worked in Barclays and told me that when there was a discrepancy, mix up , the counter staff fucced up and paid too much to anyone 10 pounds extra or more.

So Mrs Scroggins got her 150 pounds , monthly pension and the counter staff gave her 160.

At closing , 15.30 and the ledgers did not balance and dozy Mary remembered she might have paid Mrs Scroggins 160 .

The bank sent round the two biggest male staff to .. gently ask her if she might have got 10 quid extra.

She was also there when somebody tried to blackmail the bank. Pre CCTV and when there was a real person on the phone to talk too.

Bank got a call saying...

"Der is a bag of tins on the floor , behind the main door." Yep there was!.

"Inside is soil from the island of Gruinard, it is full of anthrax" "There is a bomb inside"

" Put 100,000 pounds into a bag and put it in the bins behind Morrisons in 10 minutes or we will blow it up".

Mind these were the days where the security of a bank in the morning was a playing card in the front window.

Code for the person opening the bank in the morning was red at night and in the morning all OK black in the morning I am being held hostage.

There is a Chinese restaurant (not a takeaway) local to me that still doesn't accept cards, although I suspect that this is probably more to do with the inconvenience of having an audit trail.
Many restaurants have two tills - one in the restaurant and one out of site for producing the 'correct' figures for the taxman. So I'm told...

Many restaurants have two tills - one in the restaurant and one out of site for producing the 'correct' figures for the taxman. So I'm told...

...And one not a thousand miles from me, and they are happy to direct you to the nearest ATM not 50 yards away, bloody good scoff though!

.............and all shops shut Wednesday afternoons, and you could only buy beer and spirits in pubs and off licenses, and railway stations had booking offices, and the police walked the beat, and busses had conductors, and petrol was only 2/- a gallon, and a single record was 2/6d, and a weeks holiday for 4 in the UK cost £41, and nobody had double glazing, and only one channel on the TV, and schools had strict discipline, Ridgeley enforced. and bread and milk was delivered to your door, and hanging was a deterrent, and prisons were feared and loathed as grim horrible places. And politicians were on the whole moral and honest, and KFC & McDonalds did not exist on mainland UK, every body was healthier than today, obesity was un heard of, we had a far larger army than today, and we made ships, trains, cars, motorbikes, and had a massive fishing fleet, and a coal industry , and had some standing in the world, and I and many thousands of others lived through it, and survived without I-pods, smart phones, computers, face page, twitter, grinder and a host of other brain rotting "Apps" that are draining the intelligence and free will from the young and impressionable.
When work ethic was a badge of honour, and not today considered something to aspire too. end of old farts rant.

Poverty was rife, fatal child and adulthood disease were not uncommon, and life expectancy was much lower...

I'm remembering about my childhood in the 50's not the depression of my fathers childhood in the 20's, and some of the social and domestic occurrences , were prevalent up to the early 70's, so it was not too long ago.

The nail in the coffin happened on February 15th 1971. D-day.

I'm remembering about my childhood in the 50's not the depression of my fathers childhood in the 20's, and some of the social and domestic occurrences , were prevalent up to the early 70's, so it was not too long ago.

The nail in the coffin happened on February 15th 1971. D-day.
Change and progress have been happening since the dawn of time, if we stand still the human race is dead. The youth of the day have far more freedom and choice than I did, I had more freedom and choice than you.

Decimalisation was the nail in the coffin? Well you better leave the rest of the world to move on, as it's clearly left you behind and it's not going to wait for you to change

I do my personal banking with Yorkshire Bank,

The greatest perk is a massive feeling of superiority should you dare to venture into an inner city branch-

Fat biffa's with prison type tat's,
Tards having a melt down that their benefits haven't cleared their account,
A visible shock on the cashiers face should you say please or thank you.
Being told you have too much money in a current account & its a security risk (WFT?)
Pay over a grand in twentys over the counter & they think your Pablo Escobar

Its ace....

Yonks ago I opened a cheque-save account with Abbey National, which eventually morphed into Santander. The bottom line is it doesn't cost a penny, debit card is free - very good service and well suited to my particualar needs.

Are those insurance "perks" you mentioned really worth it financially in the long run and have you checked the terms of the insuranc?
I too used to have an Abbey National account, in England I had my mortgage with them. I was satisfied with the service, until as you mentioned Abbey became Santander. The best thing about Santander until last month was their Mastercard, 5% discount on all petrol/diesel bills throughout Europe and the card cost only € 2.00 per month. Unfortunately now discontinued, bummer.

Here in Israel bank ATMs have been disappearing from the high street at a rate of knots. With the trend towards electronic banking it doesn't pay for the banks to maintain them.
Instead there are hordes of privately operated ATM's that hit you with a hefty fee for each withdrawal.
Am I correct in understanding that the preferred method of payment in shops etc is smart phone with the appropriate app?
The Danes have an almost cashless society, but then they're not in the Eurozone.

Am I correct in understanding that the preferred method of payment in shops etc is smart phone with the appropriate app?
The Danes have an almost cashless society, but then they're not in the Eurozone.
Portugal too, even in Italy now they
just ask " Contact"? as in pay contactless.

Not sure but I think in the UK the sum for contactless is about 20 quid?

In Italy and Portugal its a, well never had a problem yet.

I haven't encountered that yet. The media here started talking about it around 2012 - I don';t know whether it has actually been introduced and is operative. No - credit cards and cash are still the main means. I haven't encountered contactless here yet either.

I haven't encountered that yet. The media here started talking about it around 2012 - I don';t know whether it has actually been introduced and is operative. No - credit cards and cash are still the main means. I haven't encountered contactless here yet either.
? went to work there in Denmark about 4 years ago, Trains , Taxi, Hotel , Shops, and hotel were on the net/contactless . The thing I did not like that all the food , pizza , kebab , curry houses were all shite.

Worstfood in the world.

Portugal too, even in Italy now they
just ask " Contact"? as in pay contactless.

Not sure but I think in the UK the sum for contactless is about 20 quid?

In Italy and Portugal its a, well never had a problem yet.
My newish cheque card with the Volksbank is contactless, but I don't use that facility, also my brand new credit card from Santander is contactless. Payment by smart phone is on the increase and has been pushed on TV with some amusing adds.

Th
Mind if I ask how big that sum was??

I figure the older generation your way like ours here will always be cash heavy.
They changed the maximum cash transaction to 1000 euro here in Spain last year (or the year before) from 3000 before that.

That 1000 euro is for the entire transaction so you can't pay a deposit and then pay the rest of later in cash. The entire value must be less than 1000 euro.

Mind you, builders and tradesmen still accept over that as cash in hand.
1,280 euro to have my bathroom retiled in marble and old bath removed etc. 1280 cash to the builder (no VAT mentioned) but 1980 euro to have a walk in shower, towel rail, column shower and so on fitted but by debit card to the dealer which included VAT.

Strange that you can still take two payments of 500 euro a day from your bank account at the cash machines.