Who do you bank with? Particular perks?

Was with Abbey National and appalling service, then The Portman & when Nationwide bought them out.
Now a Flex Acct, Local Branch very good, advice when needed and no hard selling and a good personal service.

Apart from Nationwide an account with Metro but only as closed x3 days a year, got £50 in.
Add on's good if you look for them or ask at Nationwide.

I used to take out an annual travel insurance policy but now only if going out the EU or to Asia/USA

Err ... this was on the news but yesterday ... TSB branches to reduce opening hours
This, along with continuing branch closures, is going to be the trend. How many of us actually need a high street presence when there is internet banking? As the older generation pass in conjunction with an increase in cashless transactions, there will be a diminishing demand.

I'm quite surprised that the Metro Bank business model is to open more new branches and with greatly enhanced business hours. Perhaps they can see something the other banks do not.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
This, along with continuing branch closures, is going to be the trend. How many of us actually need a high street presence when there is internet banking? As the older generation pass in conjunction with an increase in cashless transactions, there will be a diminishing demand.

I'm quite surprised that the Metro Bank business model is to open more new branches and with greatly enhanced business hours. Perhaps they can see something the other banks do not.
Very true, you can even pay in cheques now at home on the internet. Who’d have thought that would be possible? It’s incredible how banking has changed in our lifetime.
Remember when they opened at 9.30am closed at 3.30pm, Mon - Fri no cash machines.
If you are too young to remember that then you probably find it nigh on impossible to believe it, but it’s true.

My other half is clumsy and dropped her S9+ last year... that got completely replaced as the screen was smashed to pieces and cracked all over, so as long as you use them it's alright.

For commission free withdrawals maybe a bonus as am off to Thailand next month with the family but when in India I use an external account which I can deposit funds via Western Union using my Flex card and that doesn't cost.

Their service has been impeccable, nothing to fault including the Credit Card department. couldn't recommend highly enough, but the fact they are planning on opening a Business Account facility but not having one at the moment means I'll have to take my frequent deposits etc elsewhere...

I've been with Nationwide for years. They pissed me off when they stopped the free overseas withdrawals on the basic Flex account so I got my self a Halifax Clarity credit card which was near enough free if you used it properly.

Last year I took a Starling card on holiday and it was excellent. Just loaded up the cash i needed to withdraw from my Flex account and use the Starling to draw it. Good exchange rates and no charges at all.

Very true, you can even pay in cheques now at home on the internet. Who’d have thought that would be possible? It’s incredible how banking has changed in our lifetime.
Remember when they opened at 9.30am closed at 3.30pm, Mon - Fri no cash machines.
If you are too young to remember that then you probably find it nigh on impossible to believe it, but it’s true.
I remember when the Midland Bank "cash machine" gave a fixed sum of 20 pounds which were ejected held in a whitish plastic holder. Never did find a use for those holders....

My first job was in a bank (it didn't last long).

Cheque clearing was split into 2 parts. National clearing was for all cheques that originated outside of the immediate area of a branch. These were totted up and sent down to London for clearing.

Local clearing was basically for branches of the different banks within walking distance of each other.
I worked for Williams Deacons so every morning at 9am I'd go to the Britannia Insurance building and meet juniors from the other banks in town and we'd swap cheques for our respective branches.

BTW the opening hours bore no relationship to the working hours. We turned up for work at 8.30 and worked till 5. If we were more than 15 shillings (75p) astray at the end of the day we stayed until it was found.

Whenever the BofE changed the base rate (always on a Thursday) everybody had to stay, calculate(by hand) the interest on each account up until that date and post it into each account.

BTW the opening hours bore no relationship to the working hours. We turned up for work at 8.30 and worked till 5. If we were more than 15 shillings (75p) astray at the end of the day we stayed until it was found.
Were my father still to be alive, he would be 110; in my childhood days the bank in which he was a branch manager was the Clydesdale and North of Scotland Bank Ltd. I clearly remember him coming home extremely late one evening and telling my fretting mother that they been hunting for threepence.

Were my father still to be alive, he would be 110; in my childhood days the bank in which he was a branch manager was the Clydesdale and North of Scotland Bank Ltd. I clearly remember him coming home extremely late one evening and telling my fretting mother that they been hunting for threepence.
Yep, that sounds Scottish. Well, perhaps in former times.

Come the millennium RBS were quite happy to lose £billions.

If you are too young to remember that then you probably find it nigh on impossible to believe it, but it’s true.[/QUOT

.............and all shops shut Wednesday afternoons, and you could only buy beer and spirits in pubs and off licenses, and railway stations had booking offices, and the police walked the beat, and busses had conductors, and petrol was only 2/- a gallon, and a single record was 2/6d, and a weeks holiday for 4 in the UK cost £41, and nobody had double glazing, and only one channel on the TV, and schools had strict discipline, Ridgeley enforced. and bread and milk was delivered to your door, and hanging was a deterrent, and prisons were feared and loathed as grim horrible places. And politicians were on the whole moral and honest, and KFC & McDonalds did not exist on mainland UK, every body was healthier than today, obesity was un heard of, we had a far larger army than today, and we made ships, trains, cars, motorbikes, and had a massive fishing fleet, and a coal industry , and had some standing in the world, and I and many thousands of others lived through it, and survived without I-pods, smart phones, computers, face page, twitter, grinder and a host of other brain rotting "Apps" that are draining the intelligence and free will from the young and impressionable.
When work ethic was a badge of honour, and not today considered something to aspire too. end of old farts rant.

I remember when the Midland Bank "cash machine" gave a fixed sum of 20 pounds which were ejected held in a whitish plastic holder. Never did find a use for those holders....
Yep. Except up here in the impoverished north, that white thing held 10 single Clydesdale and North of Scotland Bank Ltd notes (other banks were and still are available - 5 Scottish note-issuing banks then I think). Enough for a whole weekend!

It’s dishonest prats like you who ensure we all pay through the nose for insurance. I hope your poxy phone short circuits and sets your head on fire.

Was he related to Caesar?
Ceaser was the one who ceased being Caesar.

Both cash and credit cards are mainstream. A few months ago a law banning cash transactions exceeding a certain sum came into effect - to help prevent money laundering and tax evasion I think.
Mind if I ask how big that sum was??

I figure the older generation your way like ours here will always be cash heavy.

I figure the older generation your way like ours here will always be cash heavy.
this is the main gist of it $1 = 3.58 NIS):
In transactions with a tradesman over 11,000 NIS, cash can be paid up to 10% of the transaction price or up to 11,000 New Israeli Shekel, whichever is lower.

In transactions between private individuals over NIS 50,000 - 10% of the transaction price or NIS 50,000 can be paid in cash, whichever is lower.

The prohibition on payment by an open check, except for a transaction between individuals in the amount of up to NIS 5,000.
You can only transfer a check of NIS 10,000 or more once.

The law further stipulates that a financial sanction or administrative fine will be imposed on violators of the law, according to their classification and prison sentences for fraud.

Airmiles, accounts with airmiles.

Just taken an American Airlines (Citi Bank) credit card that gives me 60000 airmiles if I spend $3000 using it inside 3 months. That is enough airmiles for a couple of cattle class tickets to europe. It also gets me priority boarding and use of the business lounges at airports.

Loadsa cards do a form of points or airmiles just a case of looking around.
My sister is a "Yank" , spits on floor.

She told me years ago about a black BA/American Express jobby. She got something like 100000 air miles to join, pays for all her outgoing every year with it and since about 2004 has always flown first class at no cost.

I tried to get one but was too poor to even get a foot in the door.

She BTW is a Dr. and works in a private hospital for three days a week and earns more in a month than I do in a year.

this is the main gist of it $1 = 3.58 NIS):
In transactions with a tradesman over 11,000 NIS, cash can be paid up to 10% of the transaction price or up to 11,000 New Israeli Shekel, whichever is lower.

In transactions between private individuals over NIS 50,000 - 10% of the transaction price or NIS 50,000 can be paid in cash, whichever is lower.

The prohibition on payment by an open check, except for a transaction between individuals in the amount of up to NIS 5,000.
You can only transfer a check of NIS 10,000 or more once.

The law further stipulates that a financial sanction or administrative fine will be imposed on violators of the law, according to their classification and prison sentences for fraud.
It's a good thing I am married and having nothing larger then a $20 bill on any given day!

Also today TSB has revealed most of its Scottish branches will only open for two or three days a week from July.

Going back to the UK once or twice a year I see the big changes every time.

Shrewsburys Barclays has gone all digital with one or two "helpers".

Loads of B/S are now using Video Teleconferencing to allow you to talk to your ? Mortgage expert.

Having just opened a bank account in Portugal, last month, the Portuguese seem to have , post crash become a truly "digital" , well Lisbon has , society.

Open the account, get a PIN , change it to the number you want, put in a secondary code for the App and Internet and there you go .

Bank account and Financial number ( really the other way around) then everything is linked , transport, cash, food, entertainment, housing, gas, heat, Dr. etc.AND it works!

Once you open you account there is never a need to go into it again.

I've noticed that I am one of the few remaining customers at my local to pay for drinks using cash. I have no objection to using a card or smartphone, it's just that I am not accustomed to doing so for such things. In fact, it was not so long ago that most pubs were decidedly sniffy about accepting cards and usually required a minimum spend.

M&S were very late in accepting payment by card. Their attitude was archaic even then.

There is a Chinese restaurant (not a takeaway) local to me that still doesn't accept cards, although I suspect that this is probably more to do with the inconvenience of having an audit trail. I no longer use it because of my suspicions and the fact that I don't like any business imposing its method of payment on customers to suit their own convenience. Do you want the business or not?

My sister is a "Yank" , spits on floor.

She told me years ago about a black BA/American Express jobby. She got something like 100000 air miles to join, pays for all her outgoing every year with it and since about 2004 has always flown first class at no cost.

I tried to get one but was too poor to even get a foot in the door.

She BTW is a Dr. and works in a private hospital for three days a week and earns more in a month than I do in a year.
You want to hear funny?

The daughter, a dirty unwashed student, with no income, other than what she scrounges from us, last week received a card offer letter from Amex. Apparently she has been pre-approved for an Amex platinum card.