Who do you bank with? Particular perks?

It’s dishonest prats like you who ensure we all pay through the nose for insurance. I hope your poxy phone short circuits and sets your head on fire.

Was he related to Caesar?
I think he was a bit of a bitch, Rome ruled all. But Jesus did require his followers to pay their taxes and be good citizens of the empire.

I opened a Starling bank account as they have commission/fee free withdrawals abroad. Took 30 mins online to open, all controlled by app.

Works really well.

Also got a tandem cashback credit card (0.5% on all purchases) as my amex was expiring and I'm not paying them their fee for the cashback card.

If you've just moved to the UK or whatever and don't have a history, Monzo is good. They have pretty good benefits, especially if you like to travel. The reason why it's so popular with the Antipodeans. Easy to get
started.

I have HSBC now, apart from my U.S. account - was lucky enough that my company wrote a letter to them and stuff. Getting a bank account in the UK with a mainstream one is a bitch!

Airmiles, accounts with airmiles.

Just taken an American Airlines (Citi Bank) credit card that gives me 60000 airmiles if I spend $3000 using it inside 3 months. That is enough airmiles for a couple of cattle class tickets to europe. It also gets me priority boarding and use of the business lounges at airports.

Loadsa cards do a form of points or airmiles just a case of looking around.

Airmiles, accounts with airmiles.

Just taken an American Airlines (Citi Bank) credit card that gives me 60000 airmiles if I spend $3000 using it inside 3 months. That is enough airmiles for a couple of cattle class tickets to europe. It also gets me priority boarding and use of the business lounges at airports.

Loadsa cards do a form of points or airmiles just a case of looking around.
I just signed up for an Amex Platinium... hope those Business Lounges are really worth the annual fee?

As for the airmiles not to sure how to use them, I do get to hop about a bit

Yonks ago I opened a cheque-save account with Abbey National, which eventually morphed into Santander. The bottom line is it doesn't cost a penny, debit card is free - very good service and well suited to my particualar needs.

Are those insurance "perks" you mentioned really worth it financially in the long run and have you checked the terms of the insuranc?
:When Santander took over they failed to recognise BFPO addresses, took me 6 months to get a new card. Wife even went to UK to get one that they cancelled as soon as she left and before she could use the cashpoint.

I bank with TSB. The particular perk is the fact they've actually got a fcuking branch near my house. Unlike the other bank I used to be with, which abandoned it's customers. They even had the audacity to send me spam emails until I complained and the twunts gave me £50 compensation for the annoyance factor. Bastards.

It’s dishonest prats like you who ensure we all pay through the nose for insurance. I hope your poxy phone short circuits and sets your head on fire.

Was he related to Caesar?
I think it’s a great idea, and shall be doing it myself this very weekend!

I use Starling a lot as there are no atm charges when abroad. Lloyd's give me 6 cinema tickets a year.
I also open a new account every year with whatever bank is paying an opening bonus for switching accounts .
Best deal at the moment is Nat West £175.
Screw the banks.

We have the machines all over the place, but if they are not "in network" the fees are bad. But cash sucks to be honest.

I assume cash was king at one point in Israel??
Both cash and credit cards are mainstream. A few months ago a law banning cash transactions exceeding a certain sum came into effect - to help prevent money laundering and tax evasion I think.

Last edited:
A lot of these perks are things you actually pay for if you get one of these premium current accounts. They might pay for themselves if the perks are something you'd purchase separately in any case. There again, if they are travel insurance cover or motor breakdown cover etc. you need to look at the policies to see exactly what you are getting.

If the perks offered are a selection of crap that you'd never use, then the bank wins.

Enhanced interest rates on current accounts are a bit of a feeble whip-em-in offer because they are invariably limited to a small maximum deposit level and for a limited duration. At current interest rates, that makes them worth pennies.

My perk being with Metro Bank is no longer having anything to do with Barclays Bank.

I transfered my NatWest account to the Halifax to get the £100 offer, then the day I got the money I withdrew it and closed my account, they were not impressed. NatWest reopened my account and did all the paperwork for me. Took 30 mins work for £100.
Surprised they didnt offer you a job , sharp but legal practise is how they survive.

Latest Threads