Who do we treat and who pays for it?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by nottyash, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. People are people, there is not a lot you can do about that. You can of course put your point of view?

I watched the BBC News this afternoon, it highlighted an African lady who needs medical treatment, (Diebeties), who because she is illegal, is being deported from where she came. What an uproar, caus eshe can't afford the treatment in her country of birth.

Do I have a problem with that? The answer is absolutely yes. I'l tell you why.
    l
    My Father who is reaching 75, is terminal with the big 'C'. Having worked since he was 14, he has recently received Chemo and now has some Radio Therapy planned.

The reality is that there is a drug, which has not been approved by NICE, which in effect he has to beg for. Apparently, there are too many unexpected drains on the NHS budget, which can detract from treatment.

Given that he has payed into the system for his entire working life, why the fcuk should people get that treatment for free, when they have never paid into the pool. Not a single penny. I am sure we are not the only people in this trap.

It's Arrse.

2. NHS should give emergency treatment to stabilise those who are not British (or at least legally resident) and then FCUK them off home as soon as possible. No non-emergency treatment should be given. The NHS is not a free service!

3. Are you aware of the irony in contrasting your signature with your proposition that we withdraw medical treatment form large numbers of people?

I have no particular axe to grind as me and mine have private healthcare, but I'd have thought the biggest drain on the NHS was those predominantly local boys and girls who cause chronic illness in themselves through gluttony, idleness and an inability to say, "No, thanks". Maybe gripping the fat, drunken, diabetes suffering chavs might have released enough funds for your dad's drug? There's far more of them, for a start.

4. Do you happen to know why the drug has not been approved by NICE? A man of his age, in poor health already might end up even worse by using it. God forbid, but if all the side effects arn't know then maybe that is why.

5. Thats the point 'a social health service from the cradle to the grave'. It was never meant to cater for people who come here as NHS Tourists, (immigrants).

I am of course biased at the moment, given my fathers predicament. He however, should not be told that there is too much of a drain of resourses, owing to the immigrant population.

6. Somewhere in the Home Office there is a troll who knows the number of Nigerians, Ghanaians, Cote d'Ivoireans, Kenyans, Pakistanis and Afghans now availing themselves of the British welfare system. Next to him or her there is another troll who knows the number of people such as NottyAsh's father who receive a degraded service as a result.

I doubt that it would be politick in our castrated democracy for the two to get together and release the figures into the wild, but I'm sure that the figures would be shocking - or perhaps not, given that the Home Office has absolutely no idea how much of Africa is in England at the moment.

7. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7178416.stm

This story? I think the lady has made some poor choices in regards to what she wants to be doing in life, and specifically over here. However, why this is even "News" is beyond my comprehension, the rules seem to be clear from the article.

8. It's news because we're refusing treatment to someone who'll die without it. It's not our problem, because she's broken immigration law a number of times (if we're to believe the BBC), and it's not our fault if the country she was born in, raised kids in and chose to leave of her own free will is in such a state that it can't provide her with a dialysis machine.

9. No-one should be forced to choose. But given the choice of paying for treatment for someone who has subscribed to the system all their life and someone who never has, to my mind there is no choice. (I feel terrible for voicing that), but when the people you love, suffer for people who have not paid a penny, I at least know what my choice would be.

10. Exactly, thanks for the clarification. The only news here is the Home Office doing it's job in sending her back, if the article is accurate.

11. I think it might have something to do with the £50K annual bill. It has apparently already seen good results.

12. Slightly off topic, but still in theory related:

For a foreign national to get a visa from the immigration department to come to Blighty for anything longer than a holiday, they need a sponsor that is already in theatre i.e. someone already in the UK. The foreign national in question will have to fill in some forms and answer some question back home, but the sponsor only plays a very small speaking part should it all end up in court. But this is the Crux of it, the sponsor does not have to be a British Citizen to sponsor someone else to come in.

13. Just read the BBC Wales story. Seems she ditched her "banking course" due to a lack of English! Fcuk her off at the high port, terminal illness or not.

You don't have to be a card carrying member of the BNP to know that illegal immigrants abusing our welfare system should not be tolerated.

Suitably ..... OUTRAGED!!!

14. "She first came to the UK as a visitor in 2003, but then changed her status to student and attempted to enrol on a banking course at a city college, her solicitor explained.

Ms Sumani's lack of English prevented her from pursuing the course and she went to find work which contravened her student visa.

In 2005 she returned to Ghana to attend a memorial service for her dead husband.

But when she came back to the UK her student visa was revoked and she was only given temporary admission which effectively meant she was given notice she would be removed, her solicitor said.

She did not keep in touch with immigration officials and was first taken ill in January 2006."

Where's the problem, here illegally, gets caught and then gets sent home.
    It's people like this, that use illness as an excuse to stay here, causing a drain on an NHS that already can't keep up with treating the indiginous population, that keeps others like Nottyash's dad from getting the treatment that he has rightfully paid for in taxes.

15. But the real problem preventing there being enough money to fund your dad's treatment properly isn't the immigrants. Cut back on the unnecessary and avoidable treatment of self-inflicted wounds in the locally grown underclass and there'd be more than enough money to go round.

Why worry about a cup of water being tipped over your head when you're drowning?