Who do i call Sir?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by fltpilot, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About to start work as a Civilian within a TA Unit from what rank do i call people Sir?
    The head of Quartermasters section is i think a SNCO promoted to a Captain who is likely to be my line manager.
    Do i call him Sir or just Captain + surname.
    The Major who is the Company OC do i call them Sir or Mam?
    Or do all Officers & SNCO's get to be called sir?

2. You're a civvy so can call them what the fuck you like.

3. Call him Q.
    He will let you know how he wishes to be addressed. Ask him politely, you won't go to jail.
    :D

4. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

If the OC is a bloke, I doubt if he d appreciate being called Ma'am.

Joking aside, I doubt very much if you ll be expected to use rank at all As previous poster says, try asking how they d like to be addressed??

5. Cheers for the replies. :D
    Now will not make a complete fool of myself on my first day!

6. nice one Flash............except Mr Shortt.

7. our civvy clerk addresses everyone by their first name apart from the OC and above which would be sir /ma'am

8. Absofuckinlutely

9. You can call them Susan if it makes you happy.

10. Surely Mr Surname for the senior officers would be good?

11. Only at weekends :wink: :wink: :wink:

12. what about calling all officers boss and the rest by their first name, or, as mentioned earlier just ask.

13. If you come down here, just call him mate. You can cheerfully call the Prime Minister by her/his first name. No one gives a toss.

14. On on embed with the British or American military I basically assume the role of 'gentleman corporal' and called everyone by their rank, up to captain and then it's sir. For one particular US Lt it was SAH! with a sarcastic rigid Windsor Davies salute.

15. Whatever you call them, always bear in mind the legendary - probably apocryphal - Day One instruction given by the ASM to would-be ossifers:

"Gentlemen, during your time at Sandhurst, I shall address you as 'Sir' and you will address me as 'Sir.' The difference is that you will mean it."