Who decides green fleet speed limits?

Which brain box decided that the speed limit for FFRs with Bowman in is 40mph? Why does the Army insist on stamping speed limits that are slower than the legal ones on our vehicles?

cause they are dodering old dinosaures who only drive on sunday morning in their vintage slow mobile

Trust me, a Landie can go faster than 40mph with all the Bowman swag fitted!! It's not just this one that hacks me off. You see the gay stickers in 4 tonners etc that say speed on dual carriage way 40mph, motorway 50mph. Thats 10mph slower than the legal limit, you end up being a menace to other road users because you are going that slow and the people stuck behind you and chuntering like fcuk about Army drivers.

Trust me they can get up to about 45 max. But the speed limit is because the kit makes the vehicle top heavy add that with speed - unstable. I have suffered sitting in the passenger seat of a bowmanised rover - 50 downhill with a good run up. Should have bought pinzgauers.

Definatly the better option to get pinzgauers. When is the rover fleet getting scrapped away way? Just think of all the fcuking about stripping out all the kit and getting it refitted! I'm glad I won't be involved in that!

but pinz is being phased out too once we run out of parts...

Tyre type and composition has a major say in safe speed for any vehicle.

Army vehicles tend to have some ghastly compromise tyre not quite good enough for off road married up to not quite good enough for on road unless you keep the speed down (and why not you don't get paid more for driving faster!).

60 (or higher) in a LRover is great until you need to stop in a hurry or take other evasive action. Keep the speed down it's not just your own life at risk.

F@ck that
95mph, full section and kit in the trailer,in a V8 defender 110 from Hadrians wall to Cheshire , you could see the fuel gauge needle dropping faster than a t@rts drawers on a promise.
B_T

black_taxi said:
F@ck that
95mph, full section and kit in the trailer,in a V8 defender 110 from Hadrians wall to Cheshire , you could see the fuel gauge needle dropping faster than a t@rts drawers on a promise.
B_T
Wow - I'm so impressed. Sure it was only 95? Surely despite all that weight and the trailer, with the known capabilities of that particular model it must be capable of going so much faster. :roll:

Assuming it was true though - what would happen if that vehicle combination connected with, say, a Renault Scenic with 1 lady driver and a cabin full of kids?

Wonder how many arrse memebers have got wives and children using the same roads you're driving so professionally on?

And you think fuel consumption is the significant issue? It's individuals like you that bring the Army into disrepute - please don't.

Quote - "I'ts individuals like you than bring the army into disrepute" Unquote..................

And it's boring REMF's like you that make people join the French Foreign Legion!

Ventress

LE
plant_life said:
Which brain box decided that the speed limit for FFRs with Bowman in is 40mph? Why does the Army insist on stamping speed limits that are slower than the legal ones on our vehicles?
Because you crash them.

black_taxi said:
F@ck that
B_T
You stupid pri*k

can't say I've ever crashed any sort of vehicle. The few accidents we've had in my unit are not speed related.

The speed limits are not just made up by some REMF in an ofice, the kit is tested by soldiers (that's why we have Trials and Development Units) and also experts in the field of engineering, the manufacturer also has an input.

If the speed limit is set, it's because it's needed. As others have said, stick to it and you may save your mates life as well as your own.

Plant life, I guess you're in the luckiest unit around, the majority of accidents are related to excess speed for the prevailing conditions. Just because there's a limit, doesn't mean you have to reach it - especially in snow ;)

Unless it's a bone limit I do stick to the one set. However I think that doing 40mph on a motorway is just as dangerous as doing 85 because of the problems you cause.

Nige said:
The speed limits are not just made up by some REMF in an ofice, the kit is tested by soldiers (that's why we have Trials and Development Units) and also experts in the field of engineering, the manufacturer also has an input.

If the speed limit is set, it's because it's needed. As others have said, stick to it and you may save your mates life as well as your own.

Plant life, I guess you're in the luckiest unit around, the majority of accidents are related to excess speed for the prevailing conditions. Just because there's a limit, doesn't mean you have to reach it - especially in snow ;)
Couple of points for:

1, anyone remember the AEC 10 tonner - Max recomended speed 33MPH this was due to the fcuked brakes so had a mechanical limiter that required an inch of broom handle to modify.

2, the replacement for the Bedford MK, the 8 tonner was limited to 50mph due to the RCTs habit of blowing the tyres through exesive speed causing heat problems.

Points against.

1, If the kit fitted to a vehicle causes it to be unstable, eithe change the kit or change the vehicle. If you are involved in an accident that includes a civilian and the cause is you vehicle then I believe you could be done by civil law as well as filling out the good old MT3.

2, If you are not in a convoy, then the legal speed limits should have presedence. IMHO

JJ

plant_life said:
Unless it's a bone limit I do stick to the one set. However I think that doing 40mph on a motorway is just as dangerous as doing 85 because of the problems you cause.
Does that mean you stick to the speed limit unless you don't think you need to? What sort of a statement is that?

You may cause a slight hazard doing 50 on the motorway, but other road usaers have to negotiate the hazard the same way they have to negotiate all hazards on the road. If you start hoofing down the motorway faster than the vehicle is safe to do so, are you going to explain that it was less hazardous to the families of the dead and injured?

There are people on a higher a pay band than you setting the rules, and it's not just to bugger you and joe public about. Arguing about it does the square root of bugger all except wasting everyone's time.