Who could play Harry Flashman?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Grumpole, Aug 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You've read the books, and possibly seen the only film (in the sixties starring Malcom McDowell) made concerning our hero, Harry Flashman, VC. If someone saw sense, and the books were made into films, which modern day actor could possibly carry off the handsome, comical, roguish cad?
  2. James Purfroy(Antony in Rome).
  3. Seconded. He played Mark Antony as a typical squaddie; liked to fight, drink and sh@g, preferably all three in the same day.

He has a great scene with Ceasar(played by the guy who was in Munich). Antony is complaing about Pulo and Verenous allowing Pompie to go free...

Mark Antony: "They should be broken on the wheel for this! At the very least!"

Ceasar: "First they find my Eagle when noone else can. Then they alone survive a ship-wreck that kills thousands. And wash up on the same beach as Pompie.

They are watched over by powerful Gods, Antony. And I will kill no man with friends like that!" 8)
  4. Peter Bowles ("To the Manor Born", "The Irish RM" etc) did a fine cameo as an ancient Flashman on a South Bank Show devoted to GMF. I used to have it on video somewhere, but as I no longer have a VHS player, God alone knows why. And I agree with James Purfroy's nomination, so thirded. Although Ewan Macgregor (sp?) might do a good turn...
  5. Ewan Macgregor......

I think not.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Martin Clunes. Possibly.

Others may be better but age prevents me recalling who the buggers are! It will come back. Hopefully
  7. that chap(Mathew McFadian I think) from the first Spooks & Warrior. Damnably fine acting whatoh???
  8. Hugh Laurie?
  9. Ollie Reed, if only he was still around. He looks as Flashy pretended to be, which I think has to be the starting point.
  10. James Olyphant ?

Baddie in Die Hard 4.0 and A Man Apart
  11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Jamie Oliver?

Hugh Jackman, he can do comedy.
  12. hmm, Jackman looks yummy in breeches as does Henry Cavill...Cavill is way younger however and has, in my humble, eyecandy, oogling opinion, lovely abs, gluts, pecs and lats that would be perfect for those obligatory and gratuitous leg over scenes.
  13. I can't believe some of the homo-woofter-mincing actorettes that have been nominated. Find a living replacement for Ollie:

...and you might be on the right tracks.
  14. Jude Law....a cowardly cad and bounder in real life, so he won't even have to employ any "method acting" he can just be himself...
  15. What about Ewan Macgregor's Biker mate? Got the right teeth for it...