Who collects what?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by cdo_gunner, Dec 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Let's see who collects what on these boards.

My primary area of interest is award documents, paperwork and photographs relating to North Norway and Finland during WWII, ie. German stuff by and large. In particular stuff to the Mountain and Ski troops.

I also collect medals to the Royal Artillery.

I used to go in for German medals and cloth items but gave it up 6 years or so ago due to the huge amount of fakes on the market, not to mention the prices.

2. Denison smocks, post war as the 1942-45 are way out of my price range and old style para lids, both british and German.

3. RAMC Collectables mostly Medals at the moment, but have just started getting hold of WW1 RAMC silk postcards to display. Swords, Guns only muscetts at the moment. Victorian gothic furniture and ornaments, Ciggy cards military only, unusual medical items, Blue and white china all Copeland Spode, RAMC Cap badges now picking up the commonwealth ones to improve the collection as I have all the british one's except the QVC other ranks helpet plate. Been collecting for about 20years now.

DD. :D

4. 1939-45 Aviation memorabilia, mostly concentrating on the BoB , instruments, Gunsights etc. I also have a REVI gunsight out of a 110, but the upper optics are shot.

Couple of nice bits of flying clothing, including a Type B Helmet and mask, A 1939 Mae West , Irvin Jacket (Flying ) that used to belong to John Cunninhams navigator and other bits. Still on the lookout for a pair of 1936 Pattern Flying boots (Sheepskin Legs, leather uppers)

5. Uniform prints, HAC bits and pieces, Imperial German medals (I wish!)

6. I've collected Cap Badges for years, and related collar dogs and titles.
    In a smaller way uniform pieces.

Concentrating now on UK and Canadian Scottish Regiment items.

DD, if you are collecting Medical corp stuff from the Commonwealth I have some unissued brass buttons to RCAMC, from the WW2, early '50s era.
    Some from a few other Corps as well. RCE, CIntC, etc

7. RCSignals, Thanks for the offer but I am just concentrating on cap badges at the moment. If i diversify any more with the list of things I collect the wife will have a fit!!!!

Cheers mate. DD

8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I collect any Army Ordnance Department, Army Ordnance Corps, Royal Army Ordnance Corps items.

Any British Army items from 1900 to the present day, mainly concentrating on period 1900-1920, inc deacts.

I also buy and sell militaria

9. I also collect anything related to the Royal Army Ordnance Corps and its predecessors, as well as RLC items on the basis that the Ordnance lives on somewhere in that transport dominated maze.

Sites at bottom of page illustrate both collections.

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Rifles, mainly self-loading............ because I can !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Git :wink:

12. I grew up on the Isle of Wight, a mate of mine who eventually went into the RGJ had a Hurricane in his back garden, or rather it was 20ft down in the clay. It was shot down whilst attacking He111's on the 11th July 1940. The pilot bailed out injured.
    Parts were dug up in '82 by the Tangmere group but we kids used to pick up bullets, but's of fabric from the dingy and other small items. The family had various bits of it too as i remember, including the gun camera.

13. All right CDO , you now have all my attention :)

It sounds like they got the surface clutter , what about the rest of the aircraft. Is it in clay?

14. I collect items connected with Rhodesia, especially the British South Africa Police, RLI/RAR and PSYCORPS.

I am also interested in Yeomanry items, the RAF, UOTC / Cadets, Hong Kong and Military/colonial police.

Best items are my grandfathers WW2 flying gear and BSAP SB shield.

Trotsky