Who can be called up?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Ord_Sgt, May 13, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Been reading the callup thread and it got me to thinking, unusual I know. Anyway as I see it under this new(ish) act from 96 the government can call up the TA and regular reserve (those that were in the regs but left) whenever they feel like it and send them on ops?

But what happens if they knock on my door (I'm regular reserve) and tell me I have to go and I say **** of send the glorious leader in my stead, he started it after all :) ?

2. First para - got it in one, I think.

Second para - I suppose this would ultimately result in a trip to Colchester rather than Iraq or wherever, or at least some sort of court appearance.

Not quite sure how long your liability is, but under the RFA there are something like three or four grounds for applying for call-up to be revoked. One is if you run a business or your company thinks they can't spare you, another is if you are currently in the middle of training or vocational education (so I don't think students doing history degrees get out of it, for example) and another is if you are a single parent or in sole charge of looking after someone who can't look after themselves.

If you can't tick one of those boxes then off you go, as far as I can see.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Don’t get me wrong I support every solder out there doing their bit. I would even go so far as to say I support the RAF, grudgingly ;)

But as a private citizen I do not support the Governments position and would be more than a little miffed if that twat Blair tied to tell me to go to Iraq to further it. If my countries under threat I would be first in line but Iraq is not a threat to the safety of my country. Well it wasn’t before we invaded it anyway. :roll:

My understanding was when I left in 96 that as I had done more than 12 years colour service I could only be called up if the red hordes were advancing on London. I did my bit, 13 years of it and took part in the first shindig, however when I left I did not agree to be available for call up to support tonys every whim, I didn’t even vote for the cnut. :evil:

I’m not expecting a call up at all but I was just curious about my position.

As an aside how many Regular reserve have been called up, does anyone know?

4. OS,

Firstly, after looking at the call up rates for Reg Res on Telic 1 they decided that the TA will be the reserve of choice, so unless you are the only trained ferrett handler in the reserves and they really needed that skill, they'd ping a TA bod instead.

From the act

So if you don't get your call up papers by recorded post then you could, in theory, claim that you never had the notice served and it would be up to the authorities to prove that you did :wink:

I don't think that anyone has been prosecuted successfully for not turning up for mobilisation recently. But if you were, i think it would be a magistrates court that you'd go to.

Right, off to order my Bently, this law thing's a doddle. 8)

5. Dont think as Regular Reserve you've got that much to worry about unless you only got out last month, but if in the unlikely event that you do get the fat brown envelope through your door just get your employer to go against it. They seem to revoke all call ups where the employer whinges whether the whinge is kosha or not.
    Or has anyone experienced anything different?

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Thanks guys. As I said I’m not expecting to be called up. I left 8 years ago so am as rusty as an old nail. Anyway bar them dragging me kicking and screaming from my house in Holland they can go swing for it. Besides I also now have an Aussie passport so could just give them theirs back and tell them to feck off :)

I am just annoyed at the situation they have created. I did my bit and then some and had enough and decided to leave. They then changed the law so that if they want to they can call me out for something that is not a threat to my country. I just find that down right ******* annoying. :evil:

7. Full or part time students wont be called up, they can volunteer though.

8. msr

msr LE

They can and have been called up - however being a full time student is reason enough (according the the adjudicating officer's handbook) to grant an exemption.

msr

9. Thats why he said "wont" :wink:

10. msr

msr LE

MM,

There is a difference between receiving your mobilisation papers and actually being deployed on ops, most notably the trousering of approx £400 tax free for a one day trip to Chilwell :)

msr

11. ?? Bad teeth? Pretending to be mad or a drug addict?

12. create a disability , that will get you off and £500 richer , anybody needs a new eye? or perhaps a new leg? :lol:

13. I was told when I joined the otc that under the education act of 1996 or something, that its illegal for a person in full time education to be called up. Bugger :/

14. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Volenteer if you really want to go. Even if you're in full time education it can and has been done.

15. Under the RFA 1996 you can be called up but your firm must , on your return re employ you in " a similar role etc, etc" Be aware that there are a number of company cop out's. One of our lads had his revokation accepted whilst at Chilwell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still went though. Most TA units will have a Employer Support Officer to help. Don't forget on re-engaging you have to tell your boss post 1 Apr04. 8O or they do it for you.