Who Are Your Heroes?

Sticking for a second with the primary ARRSE forum topics it has to be “bomb disposal.” I’m not sure what the current name for bomb disposal is (I’m guessing it’s not Felix), but regardless of era, from WWI to now, and whatever they’re called, they’re some right brave twats. Some are massively gobby twats, let’s be honest, but heroic twats to me in any case. As a soldier, I felt deeply grateful that they walked forward instead of me.

Other heroes of mine:

Carl Sagan - A scientist who never forgot his child-like wonderment of the Universe and was able to pass on his enormous and enthusiastic spirit of learning and enquiry to others. He inspired so many to take up science (me included), but probably his greatest achievement was to convince NASA to turn around a space-probe’s camera and take a tiny picture of where we live:

Dot.png

See that dot? That's it. All of history happened here. The lot. When you tried and failed to get your end away it happened here. All of the people you have ever met or known about live or lived here. All of the long dead kings and queens were born and died here, and all of the fighting over a bit of oil happned here.​

Spike Milligan - A complex and in many ways flawed man, but someone whose experience and hatred of war still rings true. The more I re-read his books the more I read between the lines and realise how much he’s drawn out the humour. It was a bloody awful time, for him, his family and his (especially military) friends. Regardless of his political views, and no matter how long he lived, he always put his head above the parapet and never forgot what it was like to be a soldier. Good on him.

As a boy - The Ultimate Warrior, Mr T and Gary Linker

Now I'm 22 years older - my 'heroes' are two project managers that I've worked with in the past who have mixed guile and graft to get the job done for the sake of the tom/ wren. Don't mean to get cheesy, but they are something I measure myself against on a regular basis

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

S/Sgt Olaf Schmid, GC and his widow.

Lieutenant Col Robert Thomson, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

SSgt Oz Schmid was simply the bravest and most courageous man I have ever met. Under relentless IED and small arms attacks he stood taller than the tallest. He opened the Pharmacy Road and 24 hrs later, found 31 IEDs in one go on route SPARTA. Every single Company in 2 RIFLES adored working with him.

RIP

O Zangado

As a boy - The Ultimate Warrior, Mr T and Gary Linker

Now I'm 22 years older - my 'heroes' are two project managers that I've worked with in the past who have mixed guile and graft to get the job done for the sake of the tom/ wren. Don't mean to get cheesy, but they are something I measure myself against on a regular basis

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Do you measure yourself against other men on a regular basis?

My Dad. He ran away from home aged 15 to join the Royal Navy in WW2. He served as a Stoker on destroyers on the Artic Convoys. Sadly gone now, but never forgotten.

Sir Peter of Leeds.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Charles Darwin.

First bloke to really stick his head up with a credible theory and say "You know what? This religion thing is a load of bollocks isn't it? Here's some proof"

T

Taffd

A slight digression but I'd like to note my admiration for my children, who continuously appear to be teaching me far more than I ever taught them.

My Mum, I only found out later in life that as a seventeen year old she was a motorcycle despatch rider for the London Fire Brigade in the East end of London during the Blitz. When the bombing broke lines of communication it was her job to deliver messages during the bombing. That's how she met my Dad, he was a Station Officer.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
General Lee.

C/Sjt Kev Fortuna, RGBW / Rifles.

You know that old saying of when you get to Bn. try and be the grey man for a bit, until you see someone who inspires you, and try and emulate them? He was the one I chose. An absoloutly outstanding bloke, totally professional and humble with it.

Instead of gripping you if you made a ****-up, he would take the time to sit you down and explain where you went wrong, and how to right it. And if he did give you a bollocking you knew it was well deserved.

Always had time for his blokes, even if he was busy, a true Gent.

R.I.P. mate.

Darwin, for the same reason as Ravers.

Brunel, for combining art and ambition with practicality in building.

Cook, who was basically told to feck off and discover stuff - which is exactly what he did and more.

Charles Darwin.

First bloke to really stick his head up with a credible theory and say "You know what? This religion thing is a load of bollocks isn't it? Here's some proof"

Thomas Huxley (biologist) life long friend and advocate and the bloke who said to Darwin "for fucks sake are you going to finish that book and publish it, or are you going to mope around for another ten years" . Whom I am descended from. Unlike the rest of you who are descended from Apes cause charlie said so.