Who are the Khaki Chums, and why do they parade at the Cenotaph on Nov 11?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jim30, Nov 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, genuine question which puzzled a fair few of us at the Cenotaph today. Who are the re-enactors who parade on the Western Front Service on Nov 11, and why do they turn up at the ceremony at 1100? Not to put too fine a point on it, they looked, in the views of many of us, pretty gash and fairly silly. It didnt help that some of them were as wide as they were tall...

Why do they parade there, and surely given the large number of military people present, it would have been better to not stand in front of us all looking a bit silly?

On a related note, several of us thought it was a piss poor showing by some military officers of all three services today who openly said in the office that they weren't wearing uniform for the Cenotaph on the grounds that they try to wear uniform as little as possible in London. Personally, while I try not to do 'Rememberage' I did think it was fairly poor judgement on their part.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm going to have to go and lie down for a while. I find myself in agreement with Jim. Highly unusual.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a WAAAAAAALT hunter thread. I just don't understand why 9 re-enactors occupy a plum slot by the Cenotaph when there are over 1000 military personnel hemmed in in front of them - just feels a little odd thats all!

4. Who would you rather turn up to pay their respects, the Khaki Chums or the EDL, who tried to hijack it after the main ceremony until the OB hemmed them in, at which point they started chanting anti Islam slogans???

5. Because the old and bold love to be reminded of the hell they went through in the trenches. They honestly love to have figures that remind them of there fallen mates, bringing back those wonderful sounds and smells of battle...the cordite, putried flesh, the stench of death...

...and thats why St John Ambulance are there too...to take away the poor old and bold that have suddenly had a flash back and can no longer live with the PTSD that they were never diagnosed with after the war.

...I think :)

6. They mean well and are doing it in a fine spirit… but.

Surely the Army, Navy and RAF could/should provide a small honour guard in period rig for the occassion?

And on the subject of the Cenotaph etc, can somone have a word with the people who deal with these things and issue out some polished up No4's instead of the toy guns to the Guards etc?*Soldiers dressed in 19th C rig look bloody silly with an SA80 sans sights cluched sternly in their mits. Most of the rest of the world seems to be able to use a traditional rifle for high ceremonial duty.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Why? Remembrance is not just for WWI.

Sans sights? Not the one's I've seen. I'd also be pretty sure there are a few people who can testify it is not a 'toy gun'. Plus AFAIK the Army has always used it's current issued rifle for drill so why change it.

8. Because, as I said in a previous post, it was their annual remembrance service and no I'm not a member

9. Can't really comment on your first point, except to say if they don't appear to be doing any harm and they're not walting it up, leave well alone.

As to your second point about Officers who normally work in civvies electing not to wear uniform for what is a special day (and only one day at that), they need a boot up their collective arses.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I've just looked at teh pics of this years Parade... and, er, the sights are definitly there. They are covered by a black cover, but so is the fore guard.

The Guards ALWAYS carry out PDs with the weapon that is currently in use by the Armed Forces. It is becasue they are not wind up soldiers like some Armies field for their own PDs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. We were discussing the WWI re-enactors as I recall.

[​IMG]

Drill with a gat not fitted with optics requires the removal of the foresight or it sticks in you.
    ( Of course, these being crabs, a wooden gun would be a safer option)

'Toy gun' as in rather small and dinky that requires a rather arcane series of evolutions to do things like fix bayonts during ceremonial - and as for stand at ease - saves on wearing the buttplates and builds arm muscles I suppose.

Up until the SA80, we've always had a rather suitably sized rifle for ceremonial drill.
    If we're going to dress the woodentops in their finest 19th century clobber for guarding her Maj's gaff and such like, we should at least try and keep the accessories in character.
    After all, the Household Cav would look a bit silly riding dobbin down the Mall brandishing a golok instead of their sabres, wouldn't they?:eye:

• Like Like x 1
  12. In short you want a ceremonial weapon that looks what exactly? A handful of pennies in a handguard, making a impressive jingle or a pukka bundhook. After all 16 million Lee Enfields were made here there and even at Ishapore.

13. It's far too late now but keeping No.4s for parade work would have been sensible in hindsight.