Whither Pakistan? Imran Khan loses confidence vote

Whilst most of the world focuses on the war in Ukraine, Pakistan is in the middle of yet another crisis, with the PM Imran Khan losing a confidence vote...which he doesn't recognise. This, as so often with politics in Pakistan, could precipitate a civil war.

His behaviour has seemed a bit erratic of late and is convinced that Western Power (ie the UK and US) are plotting against him. Meanwhile Modi next door has been rattling a few Talwars but now the West is out of Afghanistan, who really GAF?

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
Thoroughly nasty piece of work. Strip off the glitter and underneath.........:toilet::tp:
Check out his stances on how females should to socially disciplined and...erm...handled etc.

Last edited:
Missus said something interesting to me last night - Since the formation of the country, only one Prime Minister has served a full parliamentary term - but not one has served the full five year term of the position.

They've either been ousted, arrested or assassinated.

We saw at the start of the Ukraine crisis that Pakistan were slow to align with western sanctions.

I think the question is looking forward. Will the new boss align with Putin, the West or the Taliban?

Or, per the song, meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Old Man Corruption.

The latter. IK feted and emboldened the fundamentalists while he was in power. Such is their hold via the medressahs it would be impossible to detoxify Pakistan of their influence.

Is it a case of better the devil we know, will this destabilise Pakistan further if he goes?

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
Is it a case of better the devil we know, will this destabilise Pakistan further if he goes?
That was said of Putin in the past..or words similar.
OTOH, turning the turgid stinking place into a glass lake has an appeal.
That would stabilise it.
It's been a hot bed and breeding ground for fundamentalists and terrorist promotion for decades as far as I can tell. I won't forget who gave Bin-Liner a virtual safe haven for a start just a short distance from an Army & Intel camp and neither will millions of others, or countries.
Which is why Uncle Sam kept schtum while they killed him and some of his breeding stock.
Would IK have had them evacuated? Who knows. Anyone's guess but I'd not have been surprised.

Last edited:
Oh come on, most countries have an army but in Pakistan the army has a country. They decide what happens,

England should send a representative to sort it. Baron Botham of Ravensworth.

A few beemers from Beefy will have Khan retiring.

Last edited:
No. It has been a pit of grease and corruption since jinnah died. It will probably fall further under Chinese influence. Chinese money will stabilise the political front but the mullahs may force further confrontation with india over kashmir.

A very good book I read in MOD years ago was 'Pakistan, Inc' and it was about how the Army dominates all aspects of public and political life in Pakistan.
Don't forget that Pakistan was specifically created as an islamic state. Never underestimate the zeal of the religious fundamentalists in their capacity to cause unrest.

Morning All,
The story has been in the local 'comics' for the past few days.
This insight from today's.
20220410_145359~2.jpg

Thoroughly nasty piece of work. Strip off the glitter and underneath.........:toilet::tp:
Check out his stances on how females should to be socially disciplined and...erm...handled etc.
I bet Sir Ian Botham is laughing and opening a bottle of something alcoholic right now.

Imran spent years pontificating about how Pakistan ought to be run and when he got the chance, found it wasn't as easy as he thought.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
I bet Sir Ian Botham is laughing and opening a bottle of something alcoholic right now.

Imran spent years pontificating about how Pakistan ought to be run and when he got the chance, found it wasn't as easy as he thought.
Exactly.
Always struck me as a pompous barstward.
He was married to *Sir James Goldsmith's lass Jemima of *Cavenham Confectionery Chewits/ Parkinsons Thins/Famous Names" fame...but she split after 2 kids finding the Pak demands of so called social compliances over bearing. Lovely English Rose as well.

As we saw when Benazir Bhutto regretted she stood up to wave, the Brit Pak community is extremely partisan. lets hope we don't have have an outbreak of communal violence here, mirroring what could happen in Pakistan.

As we saw when Benazir Bhutto regretted she stood up to wave, the Brit Pak community is extremely partisan. lets hope we don't have have an outbreak of communal violence here, mirroring what could happen in Pakistan.

It would be reported as mostly peaceful violence in the MSM here

As long as the entire population remains within their borders I couldn't care less.
I think that horse has well and truly bolted, so to speak!