Whitey need not apply

You've just got to love this job advert :roll::

Tyne and Wear Museums
Discovery Museum

Diversify Museum Trainee (Positive Action Traineeship)

Ref: M920Living Allowance of £10,940 - £11,468 per annum 37 hours per week

Temporary Traineeship for Two Years

Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums/North East Regional Museums Hub are offering a two-year full-time traineeship to prepare a person of African, African-Caribbean, Asian or Chinese descent for work in museums and galleries. This traineeship is being offered as part of the Museum Association’s Diversify initiative aimed at improving access to museum careers. The traineeship is funded by the MLA (the Museums, Libraries & Archives Council) via Renaissance North East. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience of working in a range of museum functions at the equivalent level of a Curatorial Assistant, whilst studying for a recognised qualification. The Diversify traineeship includes part-time training in Museum/Curatorial practice at Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums, a free place on the part-time MA in Museum Studies degree course at Newcastle University, and free attendance to the Museums Association annual conference and other events.

You will be flexible, enthusiastic and committed to developing a career within museums and galleries in the UK. You will also have a first or upper second class honours degree or equivalent qualifications/experience that will meet university admission requirements, be eligible for home student university fees, and be of African, African-Caribbean, Asian or Chinese descent (Section 37 and Section 38 of the Race Relations Act 1976 apply).To apply, please complete the application form attached, or contact Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums on 0191 232 6789 (Answer Phone) for an application pack. Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing Date: 9 July 2009
anyone feel like applying? Deadline is tomorrow.

Well, do this then: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8138665.stm

A job centre is advertising a "witch" vacancy with tourist site Wookey Hole, in Somerset, for £50,000 a year.

The witch, who has to live in the site's caves, is expected to teach witchcraft and magic.

Wookey Hole staff say the role is straightforward: live in the cave, be a witch and do the things witches do.

The advert for the post, placed in the local press as well as job centres, says applicants must be able to cackle and cannot be allergic to cats...
And the best bit?

Due to sexual discrimination law, the job cannot demand that the post is filled by a woman.

Under sexual discrimination law, unless Wookey Hole can provide "documentary proof that the original witch was female it can't issue a gender-specific job description".

Alsacien

MIA
Rumpelstiltskin said:
Well, do this then: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8138665.stm

A job centre is advertising a "witch" vacancy with tourist site Wookey Hole, in Somerset, for £50,000 a year.

The witch, who has to live in the site's caves, is expected to teach witchcraft and magic.

Wookey Hole staff say the role is straightforward: live in the cave, be a witch and do the things witches do.

The advert for the post, placed in the local press as well as job centres, says applicants must be able to cackle and cannot be allergic to cats...
And the best bit?

Due to sexual discrimination law, the job cannot demand that the post is filled by a woman.

Under sexual discrimination law, unless Wookey Hole can provide "documentary proof that the original witch was female it can't issue a gender-specific job description".
Thanks.
Just sent the link to my ex-wife.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
As long as they don't suggest that the person is black, of Afro-caribbean descent and gay - that would be discrimination . . . . . on, no, sorry, I meant to say 'not homosexual' - that IS discrimination!

It's positive discrimination..which needs to be done really.
And for 11k it's just trying to get a black man out of Maccy D's to be honest.

Let's face it, which one of you cnuts would apply for an 11k job? I wouldn't **** for 11k in the privacy of my own home, and thats just on principle!

stoatman said:

be of African, African-Caribbean, Asian or Chinese descent
How does one prove one is of said origin? To use physical characteristics is stereotyping eg he looks like a typical XYZ, a method which is clearly discouraged and frowned upon. In addition, I am certain there are 4th/5th generation immigrants, whose origins lie in non-Caucasian ethnic groups, who look more caucasian that John Bull. I'm sure most people do not have documentary evidence of their origin, so how on earth do they weed out people?

re. the museum had the same job in advertised in Brighton.
council concerned there not ethnic enough.
thing is Brighton is "hideously white" the correct pc term.

I don't think the council likes ethnics more its just if they could import a load they would cause they'd hit some target.
so if anyone knows where you can hold of 10000 assorted ethnic gay men preferably no driving licenses (so they will live in the town centre media corner :roll: not require any council services or send kids to school or drive :twisted:

I'd get a reference from Dr Alice Roberts, everyone is of African descent as any anthropologist will tell you.

What boils my piss about this is that it's purely discriminatory against white people. If it was someone to deal purely with African issues or Chinese matters there might be some justification in specifying someone from that ethnic group (although I still think it's bollox) but what does a person of Chinese descent have in common with a person of Afro-Caribbean descent that neither have in common with someone from a European background?

Great for the employee's self esteem too: "I got this job not because I was the best candidate but because of my skin colour."

pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
stoatman said:

How does one prove one is of said origin? To use physical characteristics is stereotyping eg he looks like a typical XYZ, a method which is clearly discouraged and frowned upon. In addition, I am certain there are 4th/5th generation immigrants, whose origins lie in non-Caucasian ethnic groups, who look more caucasian that John Bull. I'm sure most people do not have documentary evidence of their origin, so how on earth do they weed out people?
Good point! We are a far more mixed lot than our outer shells would indicate... e.g. Ecky-thumpers are of African descent

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
A first or upper second Honours Degree for a job which pays between £6.16 and £6.45 per hour?

It's not someone from a specified background they're after, it's someone who's tapped in the heed.

Slick-Rick said:
It's positive discrimination..which needs to be done really.
Why?

Slick-Rick said:
And for 11k it's just trying to get a black man out of Maccy D's to be honest.
Why? What about all of the other creeds and colours employed by Maccy D's?

It's not as crazy as it sounds, since it is a part-time work/study position, resulting in an MA.

Imagine if you have a BA in some utter nonsense like media studies from a 10th-rate ex-community college, and you would like to work in a museum, innit.

This isn't a bad deal to work your way to an MA in some related utter nonsense.

Alsacien

MIA
Sixty said:
A first or upper second Honours Degree for a job which pays between £6.16 and £6.45 per hour?

It's not someone from a specified background they're after, it's someone who's tapped in the heed.
No, no, no. First you get the job, then you go to an industrial tribunal to claim pay discrimation cos you is black, innit?

Schleswig-Holstein said:
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
stoatman said:

Good point! We are a far more mixed lot than our outer shells would indicate... e.g. Ecky-thumpers are of African descent[/url]
Always known that.....spell Ebagum backwards :roll:

BarkingSpider said:
stoatman said:

So... A White South Afrikaan could apply? Maybe a job for a turfed out farmer, although I think she/he'd want more than they're offering.
Reminds me of a story an old friend told me. He was born and bred Afrikaans. But, somewhere in his distant relations was a bit of American blood. Back in the mid 80s he gained a scholarship to a decent US college and off he trotted.

To earn a bit of beer money he sought out a part time job and applied to anything and everything. Didn't get a response, so modified his CV slightly and decided to tick the African-American box on the application forms.

24 hours later, phone call. Please pop round for an interview. It's so hard to find somebody with your experience and qualifications.

On arrival. Sorry there must be some mistake. You're the wrong colour. You're supposed to be black. It says on you application form: African-American. We can't employ any more whites here for the moment, ethnic minorities only.

So, says my friend, I have both South African and US passports - box checked correctly, not so? And I am clearly an ethnic minority. How many 9th generation white Africans do you know?

It gets better. . . .

On the application pack:-

10 reasons to study at the
International Centre for Cultural and Heritage Studies (ICCHS):

"6. Local attractions: there are rich heritage resources in the area, for example, World Heritage Sites like Hadrian’s Wall"

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/jobs.nsf/Public/NewJobs/A1347852106F5265802575D200493F07/$file/ICCHS%20brochure%20for%20Diversify%20candidates%2009.doc

WTF does being of African, African-Caribbean, Asian or Chinese descent have to do with talking about Hadrian's Wall? Presumably some Whiteo-Caucasian is unable to properly give lectures about the Roman Garrison's ethno-centric positive disability empowered feminist diversity policies . . . .

whitecity said:
BarkingSpider said:
stoatman said:

So... A White South Afrikaan could apply? Maybe a job for a turfed out farmer, although I think she/he'd want more than they're offering.
Reminds me of a story an old friend told me. He was born and bred Afrikaans. But, somewhere in his distant relations was a bit of American blood. Back in the mid 80s he gained a scholarship to a decent US college and off he trotted.

To earn a bit of beer money he sought out a part time job and applied to anything and everything. Didn't get a response, so modified his CV slightly and decided to tick the African-American box on the application forms.

24 hours later, phone call. Please pop round for an interview. It's so hard to find somebody with your experience and qualifications.

On arrival. Sorry there must be some mistake. You're the wrong colour. You're supposed to be black. It says on you application form: African-American. We can't employ any more whites here for the moment, ethnic minorities only.

So, says my friend, I have both South African and US passports - box checked correctly, not so? And I am clearly an ethnic minority. How many 9th generation white Africans do you know?
Did he get the job?