White Stripes play secret gig for Chelsea pensioners

Icons of the Younger Generation show their respect to real Hero's.

There was nevertheless a rather bemused atmosphere in the Royal College Hospital’s state apartments, when the band took to a small stage to perform a mid-afternoon set of six songs, in front of a seated row of English gents sporting pillar-box red frock coats and an array of military decorations.

Jack White was at pains to make a bond with his audience, thanking them, “for letting us into your home, and for the service you’ve done your country and the rest of the world, especially the United States of America”.

After the show, he declined to comment further. “You should talk to these guys instead,” he said, “they’ve got so many stories.”

Some of the residents appeared a little baffled by such an intrusion on a sultry summer’s afternoon. Others, such as Brian Wells, 69, clapped along enthusiastically to the closing sequence of cover versions, which included an old ballad called You Belong To Me.

“Jo Stafford sang that one originally,” Wells said afterwards, breaking momentarily into song, “I remember it from when I was serving out in Malaya. But these youngsters more than did it justice. I think they’re fantastic”.
In full

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/13/nstripes113.xml

Respect to the White Stripes, John Peel would be proud.

I will now sling the pirate rip offs I have of their albums and buy the legal ones instead. :oops:

jockmod69 said:
Hats off to Jack and Meg, at least the American people respect the contribution we, and the older generation, make to society.
I agree. When I go to the US (which I do a lot as my missus is from there) I notice how they appreciate their ex and current service people. Wish we could do that here. They wear their uniform with pride there. I was pleased to see a lot of soldiers in green yesterday near Trafalgar Square. Something to do with the Cavalry parade last night.

Heard a couple of interviews on R4 this morning and the gig went down very well with the members of hospital.

armchair_jihad said:
Icons of the Younger Generation show their respect to real Hero's.

There was nevertheless a rather bemused atmosphere in the Royal College Hospital’s state apartments, when the band took to a small stage to perform a mid-afternoon set of six songs, in front of a seated row of English gents sporting pillar-box red frock coats and an array of military decorations.

Jack White was at pains to make a bond with his audience, thanking them, “for letting us into your home, and for the service you’ve done your country and the rest of the world, especially the United States of America”.

After the show, he declined to comment further. “You should talk to these guys instead,” he said, “they’ve got so many stories.”

Some of the residents appeared a little baffled by such an intrusion on a sultry summer’s afternoon. Others, such as Brian Wells, 69, clapped along enthusiastically to the closing sequence of cover versions, which included an old ballad called You Belong To Me.

“Jo Stafford sang that one originally,” Wells said afterwards, breaking momentarily into song, “I remember it from when I was serving out in Malaya. But these youngsters more than did it justice. I think they’re fantastic”.
In full

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/13/nstripes113.xml

Respect to the White Stripes, John Peel would be proud.

I will now sling the pirate rip offs I have of their albums and buy the legal ones instead. :oops:
Dispose of them my way if you like!!

Think of it as a suck and see as I would not buy White Stripes stuff as a norm - you may convert me.