White Poppies.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Biscuits_Brown, Nov 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Please note this isn't the NAAFI and a structured case for your POV would be appreciated.
  2. Are they still being sold and worn? I've not seen any for years.
  3. Sorry for my ignorance but what are white poppies for? I have never seen one before.
  4. I thought they were worn by goddam hippies, as a peace protest????
  5. Frankly, I've never seen one. But someone raised the point elsewhere so I assume they must still be around.
  6. Never heard of them??
  7. Never seen one myself...or know what they're for??

Maybe they're just albino red ones?
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

9. This is not a wah

i feel i am going to appear uneducated or at the least a little dim, but im a young soldier currently deployed on Telic and am curious to know more about white poppies. Could someone please explain white poppies so those who dont know, find out. i have never heard of them or seen them worn.
  10. Here's what I wrote about them on another thread. Who's Idea it was and why etc.

It was the peace pledge union and it did have the idea in 1926 but was not implemented till 1933 (that's what happens with lefties rule by committee - loads of talking not much doing) ahttp://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html, the point was they were anti war and that's why all the hippies did it later.

Personally I would have no problem at all with white poppies if they had them on a different time than Remembrance Day and the build up to it. If they sold them on say Holocaust day 27th January I would maybe even buy one, nothing wrong with peace (but not at any price).
  11. The Poppy is a non-political symbol. It is worn to commemorate all who gave their lives in the defence of our country - whether they happened to be professional soldiers or conscripts, Christians or Jews (or Atheists), nationalists or communists. The whole idea of wearing one symbol is to unite the living in rememberance of the fallen, to shift the focus away from the individual and his or her personal beliefs and prejudices and onto the collective sacrifice made by the nation. That being the case, it is selfish and infantile in the extreme to want to be different by wearing a different coloured poppy.
  12. I agree with what you are saying MotorMan, that's why I would have more respect for the white Poppy people if they chose another day instead of trying to undermine the occasion.
  13. Couldn't agree with you more.
  14. Very well said.
  15. Red Poppy - Act of remembrance

White Poppy - political statement