White Paper "Valuable & Valued" - no longer the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Jul 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, today is the day. Massive changes, name not least. Any thoughts or comments here please.

As soon as the White Paper is released I will link to it. It's pretty meaty stuff, and will affect everyone in the TA today, or the Army Reserve tomorrow (as they are the same people...)

2. They might be the same people today, but not tomorrow.

The offer will be different, and some will sign up to the new order, some won't. The key will be timings. I hear that some of the changes (TACOS specifically) won't kick in for some years (2016?) whilst the stuff that the Army wants (increased mobilisation powers for example) will be rushed through quickly via a reform bill (inc the name change).

Closing Units, rebadging others, whilst changing TACOS and embarking on a massive recruitiment drive against a backdrop of regular redundancies and a dodgy economic environment could only be thought up by a politician and a regular working together. Organic change was required not baby's and bathwater decisions. I wonder just how much objective input was recieved by the Army and the Govt from actual Territorials....

We will see. Lipstick on a Pig?

3. Expect more spin than a Murali doosra backed up by a bunch of statistics that are so dodgy they could shame a used car salesman.

4. As long as the bathwater includes the ‘non useful’ babies who have been funding their weekend drinking club habits for the last couple of decades it will be a step in the right direction ^~

• Like Like x 3
  5. DT is already quoting more overseas exercises, better equipment, more training, etc., et al.

We will know, or not, soon enough; wonder if RMLY made the cut?

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I just hope there is not too much bad-mouthing of the "weekend drinking club" - as it is that WDC that provided all the reinforcements for TELIC, HERRICK, Op Olympics, G8 summits, ELLAMY, OCULUS, GRAPPLE, etc, over the past few years. It's easy to take cheap shots, but the TA has done what it was asked to do, and more.

What is happening now, it seems, is that it will be asked to do something different - something unprecedented in 'peacetime' - which is to become a real part of the Army, used all the time, and not something slightly to one flank.

We will see...

• Like Like x 9
  7. Rgr, but cratering the organisation in the short term is a huge risk and won't help. A new order, properly articulated and with substance is required, not a 'direction of travel' creating uncertainty and indecision. With the Army's relentless 'posting' regime every 2+ years, and with the Defnece Minister likely to move any time, coherence and continuity won't be likely. I may drink the bar dry this weekend in the TAC just for good measure.... :)

8. They certainly did, or an element of them did, but surely that’s what they joined to do! A significant number (the WDC) did not and had no intention of doing so, but we have been down that path plenty of times :)No need to get all sensitive either. There are plenty of regulars who have taken the ‘shilling’ and not performed, a situation that also needs addressing ^~

• Like Like x 4
  9. I hear only 2,500 responded to the Green paper. A bit shocking given its potential impact on all our futures. I know I cared enough to respond 3 times!

• Like Like x 1
  10. What time is it due out ???

11. Around "lunchtime" I understand. I think it must be before 12:00 which is always PMQ's on a Wednesday. Therefore, after looking at Hansard for today's business, it must be during "Welsh Questions".............!

12. 1100 according to SKY

13. Many thanks, should make an interesting read.

14. You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That covers quite a few ARABs as well - hopefully the redundancies programme will have seen them off, but I doubt it!