White Oscars - truth or sour grapes?

Oscars head acts over lack of nominees' diversity - BBC News

Mr Lee is not happy. He's particularly displeased that "Straight outta Compton" failed to get nominated for best picture. Well, frankly at the risk of pointing out a naked emperor, it's not a great film - it does has a talented cast and potentially an interesting story line (the history of NWA, a successful but inflammatory Black rap group) but it just doesn't deliver.

One of the facts of the film industry is that it's more or less in the hands of a sector of American society who have a history of being slightly dismissive of non-white races. They'll happily see a business opportunity and it's become clear that social media reaction to newly released film and TV is almost twice as active as that of American whites. However when it comes to handing out the accolades - are they bowing to historical prejudice - or is it a fact that there are just many more good white actors out there?
In that case would nominating and indeed presenting an AA to a minority actor simply a token gesture?

How about a separate category for Actors of African American Heritage? Or indeed a completely Black Academy Award: The music industry celebrates black music every year via the MOMOs. However, there something of a fuss last year when a white bloke won a category....

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Well it could be they've not done anything good. I hear DiCaprio may get one this year, what's the excuse for him missing out all these years?

philc

LE
Aside from The Hateful Eight in the last year has any other major Hollywood film had a big part Black actor in it?

Quite Frankly if 'Beast of No Nation' is not nominated then they have a real point

Aside from The Hateful Eight in the last year has any other major Hollywood film had a big part Black actor in it?
Do you mean this year or ever? I hear that chap Morgan Freeman has been in quite a few...Denzil Washington, Samuel L Jackson, Will Smith....

Not to mention:
1. Denzel Washington
2. Sidney Poitier (honorary mention)
3. Morgan Freeman/Will Smith
5. Samuel L. Jackson
6. Cuba Gooding Jr.
7. Don Cheadle
8. Forest Whitaker
9. Laurenece Fishburne
10. Terrence Howard

Edited because this is clearly cribbed from someone else..

Do you mean this year or ever? I hear that chap Morgan Freeman has been in quite a few...Denzil Washington, Samuel L Jackson, Will Smith....
Halle Berry, Oprah Winfrey, Sidney Poitier, Forset Whitaker, Jamie Fox etc etc etc.

philc

LE
IMDb: Most Popular Feature Films Released In 2015

List of top films, I would hazard a guess and say its based on money made, top 50 have two films with Black leads Will Smith and Straight outa Compton. Beast of No nation is 107. What are the Oscars, seems to me a celebration of the Major Hollywood studios, their ability to make money through the art of films. The Oscars is an award ceremony celebrating that fact. They have side awards, best foreign film etc but the major awards tend to go to major studios and major films.

Dont like the Oscars, set up your own awards.

Massively agreed. Although only available(?) on Netflix and even then i just happened to come across it whilst browsing.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Made for Netflix as they commissioned it - Holly wood wouldn't, expect a lot more of this sort of thing, thankfully.

The Oscars have always been a metaphor for the slave trade. The "slaves" are paraded for the benefit of the audience who applaud the physical attributes of the "merchandise" just like at a slave market. Sickening, really.

philc

LE
The clue is in the bit where I say "the last year" and mention The Hateful Eight which I know
Samuel L Jackson is in it, having watched it the other day.

Just sour grapes then.

The Oscars have always been a metaphor for the slave trade. The "slaves" are paraded for the benefit of the audience who applaud the physical attributes of the "merchandise" just like at a slave market. Sickening, really.
along with all the beauty pageants of course.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
So, does he want great work recognised, or does he want tokenism?

To be honest, in an environment where Titanic can be honoured, I'm not sure I'd want to be.

IMDb: Most Popular Feature Films Released In 2015

List of top films, I would hazard a guess and say its based on money made, top 50 have two films with Black leads Will Smith and Straight outa Compton. Beast of No nation is 107. What are the Oscars, seems to me a celebration of the Major Hollywood studios, their ability to make money through the art of films. The Oscars is an award ceremony celebrating that fact. They have side awards, best foreign film etc but the major awards tend to go to major studios and major films.

Dont like the Oscars, set up your own awards.
Yes, it's a celebration of the studios success and is largely a mutual back slapping exercise. Money making is the key and a studio can't randomly cast a black actor in a white role and hope to make money.

The University of Southern California recently carried out a study demonstrating that of the 100 most popular movies released in 2014, only 12.5 percent of the movies' characters were black and that statistic correlates to every year since 2007. Is this because the major studios believe that whilst the majority of the non-minority cinema going public don't actually hate blacks, they're just not particularly interested in their stories?

Less black films - less major black leads and there fore less black awards.

Your analogy falls out of it's own arse slightly, as the so called 'slaves' are also the audience.

Your analogy falls out of it's own arse slightly, as the so called 'slaves' are also the audience.
In many ways the audiences are slaves to Western consumerism. Although they don't realise it, they applaud their own cultural asphyxiation. Trapped, like circus animals, to a purgatory of commercial exploitation.

To be fair, many years ago they did try and redress the balance, but oh no, it simply wasn't good enough for some.

Latest Threads