White House backed release of Lockerbie Bomber

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very interesting and maybe explains why the story has not gotten much play up to now in the US:

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Saw that today as I was leafing through my Sundays, didn't post because I sure as hell am not going to pay to view the Times online, when I can read it for free in any cafe. Did raise a smile though, the Commitee could be heading for a huge Ostrich egg in the face if they keep pushing this line - ohh it could Georgeous George all over again (I might not be his biggest fan but he certainly made the Commitee who tried to interogate him look like a bunch of buffoons - YouTube - George Galloway at the US Senate Part 1 )
  3. "Shit just got real"?
  4. Totally agree with you.....Alex Salmond has also timed his run very well with his "let's publish all the documents plea"...the only ones he hasn't been able to release are those authored by the US government and he seeks their permission to do so....interesting!

BTW: Agree that GG wiped the floor with them a few years back - would love to see those self-appointed jurists in the Senate get their a***s handed to them again!
  5. Well there is a surprise........NOT.

Wee Eck has been pushing this line from the begining knowing that the cat would be let out of the bag sooner or later.

Nothing to see here, move along
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

7. Right bunch of pleaders ;)
  8. The Senate committee really wants to think long and hard about how much truth they have an appetite for on this one!
  9. IMO, publish and be damned. At the time of the release of Abdel Baset al-Megrahi Wee Eck and MacAskill both alluded to the existence of unpublished letters from the governments of USA and UK.

BBC News - Alex Salmond calls for release of Lockerbie files

Once the documents become open for all to see just sit back and watch the squirming begin, just in time for the November mid term elections.. They wanted this can of worms opened, "take the lid off", I say.
  10. ALEX Salmond yesterday heaped pressure on the US and UK governments to publish crucial correspondence relating to the Lockerbie bomber, after it emerged the Obama administration had been willing to discuss alternatives to custody in the run-up to his release.

Mr Salmond suggested yesterday that Senator Menendez should ask the US State Department to give him copies ahead of the Senate committee hearing on Thursday.

"There is a great virtue in this case of publishing all the documents," he said. "I took from what the Prime Minister and the President said that they wanted to do that.

"The only things the Scottish Government haven't published, in terms of documentation, are our correspondence – some of it – with the UK government, which the previous UK government said we couldn't, and our correspondence with the American State Department, which the American government, up until now, said we couldn't publish."

Mr Salmond added: "Just as I would say it would be helpful for the US government to publish all the correspondence, the present Prime Minister is right ... in saying he is going to publish all that correspondence as well.

"When all that correspondence is published, let me tell you, the position of the Scottish Government will be vindicated throughout this matter.

"Not because everyone agrees with us, but because we have acted throughout this matter with total integrity and following the best precepts of the Scottish legal system, and have been influenced by no other factor whatsoever."

SNP: Lockerbie letters must be made public - The Scotsman
  11. Don't forget that when Blair signed the prisoner transfer agreement with Libya, we (UK) had only one Libyan held in prison., funny that, eh?
  12. Interesting leader in the Sunday Times yesterday with the headline 'America look in the mirror'. They are on very thin ice accusing BP of lobbying Libya for oil exploration concessions when Exxon and Mobil had already negotiated exploration rights with the Libyans - their hypocrisy knows no bounds. One wonders about the calibre and intelligence of US politicians when they lead with their chins like this. As someone has already said, publish and be damned and watch certain politicians faces go red.
  13. Bit difficult for a black fella's face to turn red. Though I would love to see Obama's face try.

14. I think one needs to understand the workings of our government here to get the full impact of this--it appears the White House (surprise surprise) is the "villain in the piece" both as to influencing the original decision (more of the "kinder and gentler" stuff) and then trying to avoid involvement with His shameless assertion (all Americans were "surprised, disappointed and angry" to learn of Megrahi's release).

n keeping with the pattern to which we have grown accustomed (deny responsibility and blame others--witness the unprincipled blaming of a subordinate and the ever evil "right wing" media for last week's scandal regarding the precipitous firing of a black woman in the Dept. of Ag), the White House then tries to cover up the matter by suppressing the "smoking gun" letter, with the apparent help of the fawning media.

The Senate i(e)nquiry appears to be a case of the right hand not talking to the left and now the proverbial steaming stinking feces has hit the fan.
  15. While I understand that arrogance and a sense of predestination may occasionally lead the government of the US to imagine it can summons politicians from the 51st State to its Senate hearings, I am disappointed to find they believe our leaders have nothing better to do than fuel an electoral campaign with knocking copy.