• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

White Helmets resettlement in the UK

Do you support settlement of the White Helmets in the UK?

• Absolutely

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Rather support

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Rather no

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Strongly agaist

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
They may be militant Civil Defence Workers

Do you believe the Russian army goes on holiday with its weapons, equipment and uniforms - but just takes off its badges as it’s not at work?
In IDF it is a common practice. Some officers in soviet/Russian army (my late Father for example) have personal weapons that they could bring with them. Soldiers can wear uniforms outside their bases.

Not necessarily that story. White Helmets have been filmed apparently rehearsing, or faking, post conventional attack scenes. As here (the news story is from RT but the footage from the WH):

In addition, there are photos of people who appear to be WH also bearing arms and this was the case with the Jihadists who beheaded a boy they believed a pro-Assad spy. There are multiple videos showing WH present at Jihadi executions of opponents. Some may be inaccurate but there are enough to raise questions.

I don't accept all that RT says. Equally, it's not credible, based on evidence, that every WH is a moderate. Nor is it credible that our own media is agenda-free (it is less obvious than RT's agenda but still there).

Not necessarily that story. White Helmets have been filmed apparently rehearsing, or faking, post conventional attack scenes. As here (the news story is from RT but the footage from the WH):

In addition, there are photos of people who appear to be WH also bearing arms and this was the case with the Jihadists who beheaded a boy they believed a pro-Assad spy. There are multiple videos showing WH present at Jihadi executions of opponents. Some may be inaccurate but there are enough to raise questions.

I don't accept all that RT says. Equally, it's not credible, based on evidence, that every WH is a moderate. Nor is it credible that our own media is agenda-free (it is less obvious than RT's agenda but still there).
I doubt anything RT say can be given any credence whatsoever. As soon as they actually investigate (unlike western news organisations) some alleged Russian CivCas, you may have a point. Western media is biased, but it's not a state propaganda organ.

The SCD had an excellent campaign of showing the atrocities committed by Assad's regime and the agitprop machine kicked into gear. The rest as they say, is history.

As I've said before to Sergey, I have no doubt some were 'rebels' at one stage or another. There may even have been some who were 'Jihadi's' albeit I have no credible evidence to say so and the whole agitprop machine has muddied the water so much it's difficult to establish the truth.

As you know, some Jihadi's are now part of Assad's local defence units. There was even a Palestinian SF (is there such a thing?) killed the other day on Operations near Aleppo from memory.

The seven year Syrian civil war has drawn all sorts of characters and created many more and as you know, a great many 'switch sides' seemingly at the drop of a hat.

I wish it was as black and white as some think it is frankly.

E2A: FACT CHECK: Are the Syrian 'White Helmets' Rescue Organization Terrorists?

Last edited:
I doubt anything RT say can be given any credence whatsoever. As soon as they actually investigate (unlike western news organisations) some alleged Russian CivCas, you may have a point. Western media is biased, but it's not a state propaganda organ.

The SCD had an excellent campaign of showing the atrocities committed by Assad's regime and the agitprop machine kicked into gear. The rest as they say, is history.

As I've said before to Sergey, I have no doubt some were 'rebels' at one stage or another. There may even have been some who were 'Jihadi's' albeit I have no credible evidence to say so and the whole agitprop machine has muddied the water so much it's difficult to establish the truth.

As you know, some Jihadi's are now part of Assad's local defence units. There was even a Palestinian SF (is there such a thing?) killed the other day on Operations near Aleppo from memory.

The seven year Syrian civil war has drawn all sorts of characters and created many more and as you know, a great many 'switch sides' seemingly at the drop of a hat.

I wish it was as black and white as some think it is frankly.

E2A: FACT CHECK: Are the Syrian 'White Helmets' Rescue Organization Terrorists?
Sorry for the late reply. All fair points and, as you write, the situation is complex. A lot of it goes back to the age old debate about the nature of 'moderation' in the SCW.
You have made a very good point about those former rebels who have reconciled. I hope you are correct about the nature of those being settled here. From the integration point of view, if there is even one error (that is, someone who settles and is later involved in terror) it will be most serious and sad for the communities involved.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. All fair points and, as you write, the situation is complex. A lot of it goes back to the age old debate about the nature of 'moderation' in the SCW.
You have made a very good point about those former rebels who have reconciled. I hope you are correct about the nature of those being settled here. From the integration point of view, if there is even one error (that is, someone who settles and is later involved in terror) it will be most serious and sad for the communities involved.
No more than any other person who is eligible for refugee status. Btw, I’d much rather they stayed locally and returned to Syria when UNSC 2254 is implemented. After all, that’s what we’ve spent £2.7Bn on. To support them locally in the (vain?) hope they can return home.

They appear on the face of it to have useful skills. Much better to use them in their own country imo.

Last edited:

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm puzzled as to why we're taking them and not, say, 26 other European countries, or north America, south America, the north Africans, other middle eastern countries funding the war or southern Asian or far eastern muslim countries. Surely, Indonesia, to take an example, or Pakistan, Bangladesh or Egypt, could accomodate a few thousand more muslims, particularly ones with disaster relief skills? So why Britain? And am I the only one to think that it will turn out that 3 million Syrians were secretly and covertly members of this organisation?

I'm puzzled as to why we're taking them and not, say, 26 other European countries, or north America, south America, the north Africans, other middle eastern countries funding the war or southern Asian or far eastern muslim countries. Surely, Indonesia, to take an example, or Pakistan, Bangladesh or Egypt, could accomodate a few thousand more muslims, particularly ones with disaster relief skills? So why Britain? And am I the only one to think that it will turn out that 3 million Syrians were secretly and covertly members of this organisation?
What makes you say that only the UK is taking any?
Canada to accept up to 250 Syrian White Helmet volunteers, family after dramatic escape | CBC News
Here's how many people are involved - 422, of which 98 were White Helmets, the rest being apparently their families.
James Le Mesurier, who is considered the group's founder, said Sunday that 422 people were rescued, including 98 White Helmets.
Canada agreed to take 50 White Helmets and their families, which could mean roughly 250 in total, although I haven't seen any information on how the final divvying up will go.
The Liberal government has agreed to accept up to 50 of the White Helmet volunteers and their families, which could mean up to 250 people, according to senior officials who could not speak on the record because of the sensitive nature of the operation.
The Germans said they would take 8.
The German government said in a statement Sunday it will take in eight White Helmets rescue workers.
As to why the UK is involved at all, well have a look at the background of James Le Mesurier.
FACT CHECK: Are the Syrian 'White Helmets' Rescue Organization Terrorists?
and funded by Mayday Rescue, an organization founded by James Le Mesurier, a former intelligence officer with the British military.
The decision to resettle them was made at a NATO meeting and heads of government were directly involved in arranging it. This is a group with very high level political support in NATO. Walking away from them after they're no longer useful isn't going to encourage others to stick their necks out in future wars.

What makes you say that only the UK is taking any?
Canada to accept up to 250 Syrian White Helmet volunteers, family after dramatic escape | CBC News
Here's how many people are involved - 422, of which 98 were White Helmets, the rest being apparently their families.

Canada agreed to take 50 White Helmets and their families, which could mean roughly 250 in total, although I haven't seen any information on how the final divvying up will go.

The Germans said they would take 8.

As to why the UK is involved at all, well have a look at the background of James Le Mesurier.
FACT CHECK: Are the Syrian 'White Helmets' Rescue Organization Terrorists?

The decision to resettle them was made at a NATO meeting and heads of government were directly involved in arranging it. This is a group with very high level political support in NATO. Walking away from them after they're no longer useful isn't going to encourage others to stick their necks out in future wars.
Good answer to another thread started by a sly agitprop bellend.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No more than any other person who is eligible for refugee status. Btw, I’d much rather they stayed locally and returned to Syria when UNSC 2254 is implemented. After all, that’s what we’ve spent £2.7Bn on. To support them locally in the (vain?) hope they can return home.

They appear on the face of it to have useful skills. Much better to use them in their own country imo.

Must say I feel similar
Bringing refugees here is the wrong answer - setting up (temporary) communities in neighbouring countries (or safe zones in Syria) which we help fund is to me a better answer.
Costs less or rather for the same money we can help more (cost of food, housing etc)
Reduces the whole dodgy med cruises aspect
Better potential to rebuild Syria post conflict rather than if all its best and brightest have set up home elsewhere

Must say I feel similar
Bringing refugees here is the wrong answer - setting up (temporary) communities in neighbouring countries (or safe zones in Syria) which we help fund is to me a better answer.
Costs less or rather for the same money we can help more (cost of food, housing etc)
Reduces the whole dodgy med cruises aspect
Better potential to rebuild Syria post conflict rather than if all its best and brightest have set up home elsewhere
The neighbouring countries - Israel and Jordan - refused to take them. Israel and Jordan agreed to let them cross their territory during a narrow window of time only so long as the western countries behind this agreed to take these people themselves. Consideration was given to evacuating them to Iraq, but that route was closed off by the rapid advance of Syrian government forces.

Most of the SCD are in the north and are still there. These ones were a small handful that were in an enclave in the south pressed up against the Israeli and Jordanian borders. Both of these countries have sealed their borders, with Israel refusing to accept any refugees, and Jordan refusing to accept any more than they have now. Jordan agreed to allow these SCD refugees to stay temporarily only long enough for the western countries to collect them, and they had to stay in a sealed camp. Israel and Jordan also vetoed allowing a large number of SCD names on the list to cross their borders based on allegations that they had jihadi connections.

The western powers funded the SCD and found them to be useful in advancing their own agenda. If you don't want to end up being responsible for people like this, then don't start backing sides in a civil war. Like it or not, western governments had their fingers in this pie and it's too late now to try wiping our fingers off on the tablecloth and hoping that nobody would notice. We've got some responsibility to them.