White Helmets - Final Season

All

Just read on FB that the display team is being disbanded at the end of this season. Now I all know that there was a certain amount of piss taking etc but this is yet another chip away at the traditions of the Corps.
Another chapter in the Corps history closes eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprised by this, if true, as they have been under consideration for the chop for the past decade.
Although a Corps man through and through, I'm pretty ambivalent about the decision.

Not surprised by this, if true, as they have been under consideration for the chop for the past decade.
Although a Corps man through and through, I'm pretty ambivalent about the decision.
Nicely put; echoes my thoughts exactly.

The death knell of the Corps is getting louder as I enter my last 48 hours in the Corps and the Army! We have struggled for years for ethos and togetherness and the powers that be still chip away! No unit identity anymore just a stupid 11 Sig X flash, what does that stand for?

Weak leadership for far too many years the fat lady is beginning to warble!

The death knell of the Corps is getting louder as I enter my last 48 hours in the Corps and the Army! We have struggled for years for ethos and togetherness and the powers that be still chip away! No unit identity anymore just a stupid 11 Sig X flash, what does that stand for?

I assume you are now on termination leave? Good luck with the next stage of your life.

CGS is on record as saying the Corps is no longer fit for purpose, and he's probably right. The fact that the Corps has a motorcycle demonstration team probably does send out the wrong message.

The fact that the Corps has been condemned by CGS, and the response is to disband the White Helmets says even more.

I know I'm conflating two issues and that isn't the real response, but there's no smoke without fire...

Best luck in the afterlife, mate!

How will CGS justify all those RIFLES battalions if he doesn't get rid of the pesky tradesmen?

I am indeed on termination leave and got my P45 yesterday after nearly 25 years it was a little surreal.
A good innings mate and I'm sure you know there is absolutely nothing to fear out there - there's FTRS for a start!! :-D

The CGS was asked this at a RSM convention a few years ago and his response was clear and concise 'Get more generals'
Who do you think selects the Generals?

A taxpayer funded luxury that obviously couldn't be justified. Difficult to keep when everyone is crying poverty and lacking staff.

Red Devils next?

Wets.

Maybe they could re-issue the bikes and helmets to the blue-suiters in RAFAT, and para train them. Then the MOD gets to keep all its KAPE-type stuff, while providing "through-life VFM in a challenging fiscal landscape". ;)

The White Helmets stopped being black economy many moons ago - hence the value for money debate and possible disbandment.
How so? Just because they got funding from "other" non Army sources for the shows, cars , fuel, motorbikes. Does not detract that X,Y,Z highly " skilled " tradespersons were not doing what they were trained for , fixing kit, laying cable, working on a rebroadcast but showing off on motorbikes .

So soldiers not doing what they were trained for IMO are working on the black. Just how many civilians were recruited into the R.Sigs, completed training and went on for a full career because they saw some bloke in a uniform from the 1950ies doing a wheely through a burning hoop?

Last edited:
Maybe they could re-issue the bikes and helmets to the blue-suiters in RAFAT, and para train them. Then the MOD gets to keep all its KAPE-type stuff, while providing "through-life VFM in a challenging fiscal landscape". ;)
The Signals did have their own ? Purple helmets the free fall display team back ,oh 25 years ago. Another non black post as the team were all in " other units"

OH except when a show was on so a free rail pass or travel warrant was provided and accommodation and as the show was on a Saturday, Sunday that meant Friday and Monday taken off work for " travel".

Last edited: