White Finger Disease

Apparently there is such a thing.......any guesses what causes it. A lawyer is, erm, handling claims.

Apparently there is such a thing.......any guesses what causes it. A lawyer is, erm, handling claims.
Vibration white finger is a form of Repetitive Strain Injury caused by years of using power tools. It is common amongst ex-miners so I hope they don't get ripped off like those before them who sought compensation for pneumoconiosis.

Vibration white finger is a form of Repetitive Strain Injury caused by years of using power tools. It is common amongst ex-miners so I hope they don't get ripped off like those before them who sought compensation for pneumoconiosis.
I'm old and my memory's failing me... wasn't there a huge court case about ten years ago with the ex-miners claiming compensation for this? Seem to remember the government at the time putting a cut-off date for claims.

I'm old and my memory's failing me... wasn't there a huge court case about ten years ago with the ex-miners claiming compensation for this? Seem to remember the government at the time putting a cut-off date for claims.
It's certainly been in the press before in connection with claims by ex-miners but I'm not sure of a cut-off date.

Edited to add: Judging by the number of ambulance chasers who are advertising for sufferers I'd say that it's still possible to claim.

Thanks for that GM, I wasn't aware of the connection with Raynauds.
Nor was I until I read that myself. My mother had Raynauds in her right forefinger, the only RSI I can imagine it came from was from the lifting of a wine glass and the tapping of a fag end!

(people in my vicinity stand clear: awaiting incoming lightning bolt...)

White Finger is one of many conditions found under HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome). All powertools in the workplace should be assessed and exposure times, PPE and times between usages recorded and adhered to. This is one of the subjects audited by the HSE, etc.

White Finger is one of many conditions found under HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome). All powertools in the workplace should be assessed and exposure times, PPE and times between usages recorded and adhered to. This is one of the subjects audited by the HSE, etc.
That makes sense although it's difficult to imagine what PPE could offer much protection, presumably it's some type of glove is it?

The older chainsaws were a B. for causing vibration white finger

It's certainly been in the press before in connection with claims by ex-miners but I'm not sure of a cut-off date.

Edited to add: Judging by the number of ambulance chasers who are advertising for sufferers I'd say that it's still possible to claim.
I believe the twist in this particular saga, is that the miners are chasing the lawyers who represented them, believing that they were poorly treated and could / should have received more for their injuries. The best of luck to them I say.

I believe the twist in this particular saga, is that the miners are chasing the lawyers who represented them, believing that they were poorly treated and could / should have received more for their injuries. The best of luck to them I say.
Indeed, I believe one such solicitor in Doncaster pocketed the lion's share of every claim he won, leaving the poor miner who needed the money the most with very little.

This from Trainee Solicitor:

Pannone and Beresfords are among a host of firms being sued for allegedly under-settling compensation claims due to sick coalminers.

Manchester-based Pannone and Doncaster firm Beresfords are among 11 firms facing 25 civil claims between them for allegedly failing to retrieve the full amount due to ex-miners under the Government's Coal Health Compensation Scheme.

The 25 claims currently being brought by Oldham firm Mellor Hargreaves are worth around £450,000 but it is thought there could be as many as 500 potential claims launched in total against a wider group of firms.

Mellor Hargreaves' professional negligence head Robert Godfrey is leading the team advising the claimants and it is understood that Barlow Lyde & Gilbert is advising Pannone. It is unclear who is advising Beresfords.

A Beresfords spokesperson said: "We have dealt with approximately 97,000 compensation claims for miners, ex-miners, widows and families. We always endeavour to recover the appropriate amount of compensation and advise our clients accordingly."

"Obviously we cannot talk about individual matters but in the unlikely event that a client has a grievance or a complaint then we look at this on its merits and deal with it fairly. If we feel that a complaint is without merit then we will contest it."

Rachel Dobson, operations partner, Pannone, said: "We are unable to discuss the details of this individual case, but our approach is to always deal with matters fairly on the facts of the case and that will be our approach here."

The civil claims are the latest stage in the long-running saga involving coal miners claims. In 2008 it was revealed that legal fees for firms advising on the ongoing compensation claims for the miners had hit more than £700m.

A number of solicitors firms were caught up in the controversy after it emerged they took cuts worth millions of pounds from compensation payouts.

Solicitors from firms including Beresfords and Raleys were both found guilty of breaching the Solicitors' Code of Conduct in relation to their handling of the claims.

That makes sense although it's difficult to imagine what PPE could offer much protection, presumably it's some type of glove is it?
Correct, and one of the reasons vehicle workshops and building sites primarily use compressed air for powering tools. Regular checks and exposure times are monitored and "at risk" employees should be offered regular health checks to ensure it's not creeping up.

Not as much of an issue these days as it used to be due to advances in power tool design;

Correct, and one of the reasons vehicle workshops and building sites primarily use compressed air for powering tools. Regular checks and exposure times are monitored and "at risk" employees should be offered regular health checks to ensure it's not creeping up.

Not as much of an issue these days as it used to be due to advances in power tool design;
What the fcuk do you know about building sites you workshy bluffer :D

You were hurled from a job when a client came to inspect his shiney new premises to find you'd put a dirty great staircase behind the front door so they couldn't open it.

Power tools and compressed air my arrse, you are let loose with nothing more rugged than a clipboard, some sticklebrick and finger paints.

Backsliding wedge puff!!!

Delete Solicitor, Insert Thieves in suits

What the fcuk do you know about building sites you workshy bluffer :D

You were hurled from a job when a client came to inspect his shiney new premises to find you'd put a dirty great staircase behind the front door so they couldn't open it.

Power tools and compressed air my arrse, you are let loose with nothing more rugged than a clipboard, some sticklebrick and finger paints.

Backsliding wedge puff!!!
You dirty scrotum. stick to sending me pictures of your schwanz. The only reason you looked on this thread is in the vain hope that if you vibrated your finger, one part of you may go white.

And for the record. I didn't put that f ucking staircase there... the bloke who used to be one of my site managers did, the dopey northern "can't read a f ucking dimension off a drawing" lying thick c-unt.

Our company has just tested our powered hand tools and as a result a lot has been condemned ranging from electric hand drills to petrol powered leaf blowers, all employees where also sent a questionnaire regarding previous usage of hand vibratory equipment those with a medium to high risk where then sent to occupational health for tests, serious stuff HAV’s

Also remember a drummer from a regimental band was found to be suffering with white finger not sure what happened probably ibruprofen and a tuba grip

Our company has just tested our powered hand tools and as a result a lot has been condemned ranging from electric hand drills to petrol powered leaf blowers, all employees where also sent a questionnaire regarding previous usage of hand vibratory equipment those with a medium to high risk where then sent to occupational health for tests, serious stuff HAV’s

Also remember a drummer from a regimental band was found to be suffering with white finger not sure what happened probably ibruprofen and a tuba grip
Do you think he kept it where the sun don't shine?

aye, they harped on about HAVS when i did my NEBOSH cse's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Royal Signals 6
A The NAAFI Bar 41
A Gunners 91