White Finger Disease

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Ciggie, Aug 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently there is such a thing.......any guesses what causes it. A lawyer is, erm, handling claims.

2. poor circulation?

3. Vibration white finger is a form of Repetitive Strain Injury caused by years of using power tools. It is common amongst ex-miners so I hope they don't get ripped off like those before them who sought compensation for pneumoconiosis.

4. Thanks for that GM, I wasn't aware of the connection with Raynauds.

5. I'm old and my memory's failing me... wasn't there a huge court case about ten years ago with the ex-miners claiming compensation for this? Seem to remember the government at the time putting a cut-off date for claims.

6. It's certainly been in the press before in connection with claims by ex-miners but I'm not sure of a cut-off date.

Edited to add: Judging by the number of ambulance chasers who are advertising for sufferers I'd say that it's still possible to claim.

7. Nor was I until I read that myself. My mother had Raynauds in her right forefinger, the only RSI I can imagine it came from was from the lifting of a wine glass and the tapping of a fag end!

(people in my vicinity stand clear: awaiting incoming lightning bolt...)

8. White Finger is one of many conditions found under HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome). All powertools in the workplace should be assessed and exposure times, PPE and times between usages recorded and adhered to. This is one of the subjects audited by the HSE, etc.

9. That makes sense although it's difficult to imagine what PPE could offer much protection, presumably it's some type of glove is it?

10. The older chainsaws were a B. for causing vibration white finger

11. I believe the twist in this particular saga, is that the miners are chasing the lawyers who represented them, believing that they were poorly treated and could / should have received more for their injuries. The best of luck to them I say.

12. Indeed, I believe one such solicitor in Doncaster pocketed the lion's share of every claim he won, leaving the poor miner who needed the money the most with very little.

This from Trainee Solicitor:

13. Correct, and one of the reasons vehicle workshops and building sites primarily use compressed air for powering tools. Regular checks and exposure times are monitored and "at risk" employees should be offered regular health checks to ensure it's not creeping up.

Not as much of an issue these days as it used to be due to advances in power tool design;

14. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

What the fcuk do you know about building sites you workshy bluffer :D

You were hurled from a job when a client came to inspect his shiney new premises to find you'd put a dirty great staircase behind the front door so they couldn't open it.

Power tools and compressed air my arrse, you are let loose with nothing more rugged than a clipboard, some sticklebrick and finger paints.

Backsliding wedge puff!!!