White Collar Boxing

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Forastero, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Anybody done it? Worth the effort? Does it hurt? (Just kidding). Club near me has opened up and thought I might have a bash but the nearest thing I've ever come to boxing was 1) When I was at school and got thrashed and 2) the uncontrolled flailing that is milling. Now, I'm 42 and reasonably fit with decent upper body strength but like I said, can't box to save my life. Am I being delusional?
  2. Find a decent Boxing club and learn some basic technique before you get in the Ring. :)
  3. I think you should stick to your Werthers Originals if I were you :)
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Do some checking before you get in the ring.

One of my clients (ex v good amateur boxer) signed up for a boxing gym, and recognised just about every name on the "white collar" list from his amateur days. You might think you are getting in the ring with:

"Jim from accounts, keen to give it a try"

but it is actually

"Jim from accounts who can no longer maintain the training regime for high level amateur boxing, but likes to keep his hand in".
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Do it! Nowt like whacking the bag to get rid of a bit steam. As far as sparring goes a decent club will progress you slowly with headgear and progressive use of sized gloves. The big ones don't hurt as much :wink:

Joking aside they will work on your technique and lead you on gently with bagwork, speedballs and co-ordination exercise' when they feel you are ready they will tell you. Up to you then mucker.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Exactly what I'm worried about! I don't particularly want to get a right bloody shoeing before I've even started although to be fair to the blokes in the club, they did say they wouldn't let me anywhere any kind of 'fight' before I'd had a fair amount of technical training. Anybody actually tried it at my Werther's age?
  7. Forastero,

I’d say go for it, man. I was an amateur boxer from age 10 until I was 37. There’s really nothing like it for keeping you fit and agile and your reflexes tuned. Even now I go down to the local gym a couple of times a week and work out with the lads. I even get to spar regularly. Although my main use, according to “Polo” the trainer, is to teach the young uns the “dirty tricks” and such capers and how to avoid them. Fairy nuff, I suppose. In a pukka bout, I admit I'd definitely have a lot of difficulties with some of the fellas. But then I’m 60 years old and a few of them are just quite incredible.

Don’t be fooled by job descriptions, mucker. I well remember when we lived in Italy and I took on a 55-year-old former amateur light-heavyweight in a sparring session at a local gym in Crotone, Calabria, who said he hadn’t boxed for at least 30 years but wanted to do something for his health. I box at welterweight, but it was just sparring – or so I thought. What this geezer didn’t mention was that he’d been the Calabrian amateur light-heavyweight champion six years on the trot! His day job was a clerk in the local administration’s vehicle registration department. This geezer's counter-boxing was just amazing, and his defence was simply impossible to breach. Why he never became a professional is a mystery to me.

My advice would be: get yourself more than fit, take it slow (you've got all the time in the world), adapt to the unique training necessary for boxing, listen well to the tips you’re given, watch as much as you possibly can of sparring rounds, take your time in dropping from 14/12 oz gloves to 8 oz and heed the advice of your trainers and muckers in the club. I know, from personal experience that it’s all be a much of a muchness at first, but give yourself ample time to get used to it, space yourself and don’t try to rush things. In the fullness of time, you’ll begin to appreciate the true “science” of boxing.

I wish you the best of luck, my friend.

8. Not too sure exactly what is meant by white collar boxing. If it is another route to keeping older limbs and brains nimble for longer, so well and good.
    I worry that it might stray into the world of dinner club boxing. I was often given invites to such in the world of corporate hospitably but always felt it was demeaning where a few old lags and some up and coming performed in front of half-pished guys in dinner suits sitting around with a 4 course meal and drinks betting on the outcome and having whip-rounds for the boxers. I went back to boxing training when I could no longer handle proper circuit training in a gym and found it advantageous. And enjoyable.
  9. Not knocking white collar but the good thing about the ABA and the BBBC is that they are fully self regulated and sanction all contests so they have every fighters record so no stitching up can go on as mentioned above about john from accounts.
  10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Cheers for the replies boys, I'm going down there on Tues to have a natter. If nothing else, it's another form of exercise that'll help me keep the lard off! If I ever get anywhere a fight of any description, I'll let you know how I got on!
  11. The problem with WCB is that the matches aren't always fair and you should be careful. I had a WCB match over in NYC 9 years ago and their attitude was to be careful and keep an eye on people so that they didn't get a complete shoeing. Now over here, it's developed more of an unlicensed boxing look with some real bloodbaths occasionally.
  12. How did you get on Forastero? Let us now please?

13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Still feeling my way around to be honest. I've got a couple more inductions to get my programme sorted out before the boxing thing. A quick chat with one of the instructors and it seems that the 'fighters' are local white collar types (hence the name) and have competitions and charity raising events amongst themselves so it doesn't appear to be that bad. Typical occupations include polis, accountants, bankers that sort of thing.
  14. Ta for the update mucker.

Fill us in when you have more detailed sitrep please?

15. Thread resurection

I've just thrown my hat in the ring for a fight in a few months.

Been boxing a few years but really hitting it now.

42 year old arthritic heavy weight.........6'3 currently weighing in at 109kg

Tempted to do a chad mini blog/thread about it
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2