Whistling "The Great Escape" theme in Germany

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bugsy, Jun 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the "Artsy Thread" mention was made that if you're caught whistling the theme from "The Great Escape" during the World Cup in Germany in a way "as to incite unrest", you'll get your collar felt.

I've had a butcher's all over t'internet, especially the Kraut rags and news agencies, but I can't find anything about it. I've just posted it as a query on the "Bundeswehr Forum" to see if they've got any gen on it.

In the meantime, has anybody else heard this?

(Or have I well and truly bitten? :oops: :oops: :oops: )

MsG

2. Yeah mate I'd heard that. Incitement. Same as chucking up the nazi salute apparently. Could be a laugh.

3. No more riding motor bikes over the border wire then... :evil:
    Hang about, what about that brass band..you know the one on the tele adverts for the world cup, thats all they play along with the theme music from "Raiders of the lost Ark" which is another movie where the jerry's get it..

4. Anyone up for goosestepping through the streets of Berlin?

5. Hurhur

6. Apparently, somebody had a whole load of flyers printed up in Germany which said that nobody who attended a World Cup match or lived near one of the playing venues was allowed to play any themes, wear any gear or show any adverts that weren't from one of the World Cup sponsors. Also, if any commercials came on the telly and they weren't from the sponsors, people were to either close their windows or switch the telly off.
    These were shoved through hundreds of letterboxes in Dortmund and Cologne (two of the World Cup venues).

MsG

7. Hire a helicopter.

Fly low over the Mohnesee

Release a football.

Play appropriate music..

Where is that Carling advert?

8. Any bets that England will be kicked out of the tournament by the quarter finals due to the English fans just winding up the Germans at every available opportunity? Let's be honest about it, the FA and Shagger Sven sending out the message not to mention the war was like a red rag to a bull? Hope the Germans have got lots of cells available along with loads of aircraft on standby for the deportations!

9. heh, what about the other beer add, the one with all the germans running for the sun-lounger, and the brit guy throws his towel across the swimming pool?

10. Well believe it or not the German cops are more worried about the Polish "fans" this time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4860986.stm

11. It's a shame the England team aren't sponsored by the Shepherd Neame Brewery.
    They could have these adverts for Spitfire Ale on their shirts. :twisted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Want to worry the Germans?

Just say" Die Russen Kommen"

13. Something to do with Russians? My German is a little rusty.

14. THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O