Whisky

Hescoheed said:
[quote="londonirish] there is a little pub in Salisbury which sells a 1964...Pub is called the Haunch of Venison, its the one with the pretend chopped off hand, and the building looks like its going to fall over.

Too much time spent in there, and you fall over too!
I'm in Sailsbury, well nearby, in September so I'll give it a go on my weekend off.[/quote]

its a really good boozer, very very old fashioned, but with a great restaurant upstairs which is "modern" in its cuisine, but very nice old decor, but pricey.

The beer is well kept, there is only one lager, or maybe two, and here is a link

click this

Hescoheed said:
[quote="londonirish] there is a little pub in Salisbury which sells a 1964...Pub is called the Haunch of Venison, its the one with the pretend chopped off hand, and the building looks like its going to fall over.

Too much time spent in there, and you fall over too!
I'm in Sailsbury, well nearby, in September so I'll give it a go on my weekend off.[/quote]

its a really good boozer, very very old fashioned, but with a great restaurant upstairs which is "modern" in its cuisine, but very nice old decor, but pricey.

The beer is well kept, there is only one lager, or maybe two, and here is a link

click this

londonirish said:
A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
do you drink malts or the blended p1sh :?: :?: :?: :?:
Some blends are very, very good. Baille Nichol Jarvie, Black Bush (Bushmills, NI), Chivas Regal, Black Bottle and Whyte and Mackie stand out. All availlable at your local supermarket.

Remember that a master blender is very highly paid to do exactly that. Blend. It is a very skillfull job, combining as it does, single malts and also grain whiskys, which are typically only availlable (grain ones) in Ireland as "singles".

There is a great deal of mis-placed snobbery about sigle malts. In past times they were considered to be uncouth and raw, and not for the sophisticated palate. Hence the art of blending. They were also much much cheaper than the sought-after blends.

Not anymore though. Having said that, they are splendid. I have about 60 different varieties.

My view is that good whisky is good whisky, blended or single. The only side you need to take is good v bad, not single v blends.

STOP PRESS!!! Sainsburys have a deal on Ardbeg, an Islay single malt which is not cold filtered.

This means it may go cloudy if you add water, which is normal, depending on whats in the water.

(The reason why so much whiskey is cold filtered is because the Septics, bless 'em, think somethings wrong if they are served a cloudy drink.)

Its 10 years old, kicks better than Laphroaig and comes in at a wobbly-legged 46%, as opposed to the normal 40%.

Best enjoyed two fingers whisky, one finger water. No Ice.

Yours for £21.99
I quite like the Tullymore Dew myself.A very smooth whiskey.

spike7451 said:
londonirish said:
A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
do you drink malts or the blended p1sh :?: :?: :?: :?:
Some blends are very, very good. Baille Nichol Jarvie, Black Bush (Bushmills, NI), Chivas Regal, Black Bottle and Whyte and Mackie stand out. All availlable at your local supermarket.

Remember that a master blender is very highly paid to do exactly that. Blend. It is a very skillfull job, combining as it does, single malts and also grain whiskys, which are typically only availlable (grain ones) in Ireland as "singles".

There is a great deal of mis-placed snobbery about sigle malts. In past times they were considered to be uncouth and raw, and not for the sophisticated palate. Hence the art of blending. They were also much much cheaper than the sought-after blends.

Not anymore though. Having said that, they are splendid. I have about 60 different varieties.

My view is that good whisky is good whisky, blended or single. The only side you need to take is good v bad, not single v blends.

STOP PRESS!!! Sainsburys have a deal on Ardbeg, an Islay single malt which is not cold filtered.

This means it may go cloudy if you add water, which is normal, depending on whats in the water.

(The reason why so much whiskey is cold filtered is because the Septics, bless 'em, think somethings wrong if they are served a cloudy drink.)

Its 10 years old, kicks better than Laphroaig and comes in at a wobbly-legged 46%, as opposed to the normal 40%.

Best enjoyed two fingers whisky, one finger water. No Ice.

Yours for £21.99
I quite like the Tullymore Dew myself.A very smooth whiskey.
if you like that, try Red Breast, a little known but superb Irish

Couldn't be arrsed to do a serious search for the Proper thread on this; I was gifted a bottle of 'Haig Club' at Christmas and have just opened it (after a couple of fine Islay experiences this evening). It's a blended grain whisky, some of which I've had nice experiences of previously. This, though, is dire; very nasty and I can fully understand why David Beckham chose to promote it. I note that on the web it's puffed as :
Haig Club Clubman is a modern and stylish Single Grain Scotch Whisky matured exclusively in Bourbon casks - The launch of Haig Club Clubman points to an exciting new direction in Scotch
Warning; it's very, very horrible. I hope the sparrows and crows on my lawn find it 'stylish'.

Thank the gods for Lagavulin.

Couldn't be arrsed to do a serious search for the Proper thread on this; I was gifted a bottle of 'Haig Club' at Christmas and have just opened it (after a couple of fine Islay experiences this evening). It's a blended grain whisky, some of which I've had nice experiences of previously. This, though, is dire; very nasty and I can fully understand why David Beckham chose to promote it. I note that on the web it's puffed as :

Warning; it's very, very horrible. I hope the sparrows and crows on my lawn find it 'stylish'.

Thank the gods for Lagavulin.
Obviously not matured for 12 years (unlike this thread).

Obviously not matured for 12 years (unlike this thread).
Critics everywhere. Find the right thread and I'll take your advice to move the post. Yes, not matured at all, or just the dregs drained into in a bottle which looks so blue and cool it must be young and vibrant. Piddle.

Nothing new to say, really, but this evening I ran out of Bush malt, and looking around the selection for a cheap, nasty alternative for my last glass of the evening, picked up the Haig Club blue bottle. Jaysus, what a mistake. Filthy stuff; makes you wonder what a professional whisky distiller's thinking when he throws that drain cleaner at the public. 'New', Cool', 'Vibrant' and 'Diverse', probably.

Good thing I have a few other, more traditional bottles to wash away the taste. I really hope that the PR company pushing this muck takes note here; it's fecken awful.

Nothing new to say, really, but this evening I ran out of Bush malt, and looking around the selection for a cheap, nasty alternative for my last glass of the evening, picked up the Haig Club blue bottle. Jaysus, what a mistake. Filthy stuff; makes you wonder what a professional whisky distiller's thinking when he throws that drain cleaner at the public. 'New', Cool', 'Vibrant' and 'Diverse', probably.

Good thing I have a few other, more traditional bottles to wash away the taste. I really hope that the PR company pushing this muck takes note here; it's fecken awful.
I received a bottle of this as a thankyou for doing a wee job for a neighbour as she knew I liked whisky.
Totally agree what a waste of a glass bottle only way I could take it was as a toddy with honey ,lemon,sugar and boiling water.

Currently enjoying a Jura origin on offer in Morrisons at £20 as it is being discontinued
Swine. They don't operate in Northern Ireland. Lidl do, though, and their Bush Malt was £10 cheaper the other week. It's all a Government conspiracy con, of course (something I held out at length on in the the pub a couple of days ago.) The war against bacon, beef, good booze, proper petrol, red diesel etc. Bastards. Got me a double from the chap down the bar with the red nose.

Currently enjoying a Jura origin on offer in Morrisons at £20 as it is being discontinued
Jura?

20 quid?

Where?

I missed a bottle of Jura Superstition at 18 quid at Christmas because I was being fiscally responsible. Had to buy Jack Daniels instead when I tired of being fiscally responsible.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bowmore 12...which was also on offer...

A lot of whisky on offer the past couple of years. China not buying as much.

I have noticed that in Scotland with the minimum price on a unit of alchol that there are more offers on malts than there was before

Latest Threads