Whisky

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by BBear, Aug 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I have a dream! A quest! And a bank account...

I've been trying out all the Whisky in my local offy for a while now, and have finished all the brands there. I'm at a loss about where I can go from here, aside from buying whole cases from brewers.

Can anyone recommend any good brands/online sellers?

Cheers!

2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

You are a beautiful man.

3. You could try all the other spirits that your local offy has to offer.

Then visit your local chemist - Night Nurse, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, etc.

And finish the evening off at B&Q - methylated spirits, paraffin, paint stripper.

But don't forget to grab a curry and a lager on the way home.

4. There speaks the voice of experience. 8O 8O 8O 8O

5. Have you tried Highland Park? It's probably my favourite whiskey, well worth a try.

6. do you drink malts or the blended p1sh :?: :?: :?: :?:

7. Convert to crabism (i know, worse than islam) and get a posting to Lossiemouth. You will then have the delights of all those distilleries around that area. Found one bar up in the hills with over 100 various brands and ages of the waters of life.

8. Crabby, you are a man of culture. I have drank Highland Park for some years now and I personally find it to be a hell of a nice malt.

Your health.........*glass in hand* :lol:

fastmedic

9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

try the 'new' Welsh Whiskey Distillery

Penderyn - very nice even if I am biaised

S_R

10. *runs to kitchen cupboard*

There's a bottle of Capella in there, the special edition, smooth and peaty :D *raises a glass*

Highland park is a pretty good all round whiskey, even the standard one. It's the world's most northern scottish distillery. I've even been to the distillery (on the pretence of investigating energy use and sustainability of peat...), it's a good place to go :D

Glenmorangie is another favourite, far less colour, far more kick, less peat. More of a "pure whiskey". Glenfiddich is alright for something you can find just about anywhere.

Get yourself posted to BFG - in my (limited) experience the messes will sell you a good selection of malts, duty free of course :D

11. laphroaig (la-froyg)
    The whisky from Islay you will either love it or hate it - no-one has ever tasted Laproaig and " aye, is suppose it's ok" The website is worth a visit you can become a Friend of Laphroaig when you will recieve a lifetimes lease on a square foot of Islay!
    Slainte Mhath!

12. Abelour abundath - fecking lurvely stuff.

Ardbeg uigedail - another beautiful bottle

Both these are cask strength, pack a real punch in them! a bit more expensive, but well worth it.

other than that - Balvenie doublewood 12YO, a beautifully easy drinking malt.

13. But not brands that an Englishman can order over the phone. :(

14. If you're not into peat, I'd take the Irish route and try a bottle of Green Spot. Yum yum. Unfortunately I'm in competition with my missus who uses it (and my most expensive single malts) to make herself DIY Bailey's and other assorted abominations.