Whisky holiday

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Anon1, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not quite sports but hopefully someone out there can help me.

Hopefully I will get some long-awaited holiday soon and would quite like to head north of the Border and sample local produce of the single malt variety. Can anyone recommend a good route to call in at some distilleries and stay at youth hostels/cheap B&Bs? Probably not longer than a week
    off and I need to keep costs down, except on Scottish nectar. :wink:

Cheers!

2. Pencaitland's a good one to start, then aberfeldy, lochnagar (sp) the finish off in tomintoul and try their 25yr old single cask - it tastes of bananas.

3. Must admit, I'm a bit partial to the water of life myself. If you are able to wait until the better weather, why not get the ferry up past Campbelltown over to Isla. Some cracking distilleries out there. Bruichladdich, Bowmore, Isle of Jura, to name but a few. Lovely quaint, little hotels and guest houses out there and one particular bar that stocks over 600 different kinds of whisky!!!

Otherwise, you could head north up to Aberdeen then onto Elgin, Forres and Morayshire. They do the 'Whisky Trail" up there Speyside way. Loads of whisky distilleries in Morayshire such as Glenfiddich, Dallas Dhu, etc. :D

4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Been a while since I've been north of the border but Edradour in Pitlochry was particularly pleasant!

5. Islay is the way forward. Had to endure a month out there earlier this year on a construction task.

There's a nice little Scottish filly who works in Bruichladdich distillery that's well worth a visit.. :cuddle: Not to mention her unrivalled knowledge of single malts. Hmm Helen.. Right fiery lass, just like the Whisky
    Bowmore is a good tour and down the southern reaches of Islay, dont miss the obvious ones, Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Lagavulin

http://www.islayinfo.com/islay_whisky_distilleries.html

Mainland just doesnt quite cut it compared to the Islay experience. Bruichladdich are opening a new distillery in Port Charlotte, funnily enough called 'Port Charlotte' which'll be fitted with the first elevator on Islay. wow.... hehe. But seriously. It should be well worth the visit (although they wont be selling stuff thats been distilled on that particular site for a while)

6. I'd vote for Islay as well. A brilliant tour on a lovely island, plenty of variety in 'the creature'.

There's a good range of accommodation here

I've stayed at the Bowmore and can thoroughly recommend it.

7. I'd give you all sorts of useful advice but I've forgotten it.

8. Go to Speyside and do the whisky trail you can't go wrong. There are loads of them there.

9. Grantown makes a handy base - try the Ben Mhor hotel. Terrific selection of malts in the bar and a good full Scottish breakfast to fettle you up for the expeditions.

Glenturret is also a good visiting distillery and it is in a beautiful spot, base yourself at Comrie or St Fillans.