Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Whisky - elixir of life

what with the lockdown that started here last Friday and the fact that one of the drinks importers has Bunnahabain 12 on offer, I decided to indulge in a bottle. It's lovely. Warm and complex with lots of toffee flavour. 46.3% yet somehow very smooth.
I bought a bottle of something else with it which I'll post about after it's been opened.

Missus has just come back from Waitrose with a 10yr Loch Lomond for me. She always buys the stuff on offer which means I get a pretty good range.

Never tried Loch Lomond before so looking forward to tasting.

what with the lockdown that started here last Friday and the fact that one of the drinks importers has Bunnahabain 12 on offer, I decided to indulge in a bottle. It's lovely. Warm and complex with lots of toffee flavour. 46.3% yet somehow very smooth.
I bought a bottle of something else with it which I'll post about after it's been opened.
Bunna is one of my favourites and the 12 YO is lovely and still reasonably priced.

Saw on TV that Spar shops have Speyburn at £18 a bottle may have to go down tomorrow as this is one I have not tried . Anyone had a swallow of this
Perfectly quaffable. Typical Speyside Whisky IMHO. Nothing to shout about, but then nothing to complain about either. I presume at that price it is no older the 10 years?

Perfectly quaffable. Typical Speyside Whisky IMHO. Nothing to shout about, but then nothing to complain about either. I presume at that price it is no older the 10 years?

NSA Brandan Orach not opened yet as still a Deanston NSA on the go . The Deanston is much the same as you state for the Speyburn nice enough but nothing stands out about it. it was £22

For those with access to a Costco card, Laphroaig Quarter Cask £25.18 at the moment.
That would be a good buy, no doubt about it. Doing my occasional grossly-overspending shopping at Sainsburys the other day, I noted their House Whisky at £23.50 for 1.5 litres, and ever one to save money, bought a bottle. As my tastebuds are mostly shot, it seems to be acceptable (well, after a couple of litres of homebrew Pilsner at about 8% it is) and worth the outlay. I've put some into a crystal decanter to add a bit je ne sais quoi:
IMGP0068.jpg

...and it's a bit rough, but ok. Definitely a touch of diesel or 15W/40 in there, although maybe I should have washed properly first.

That would be a good buy, no doubt about it. Doing my occasional grossly-overspending shopping at Sainsburys the other day, I noted their House Whisky at £23.50 for 1.5 litres, and ever one to save money, bought a bottle. As my tastebuds are mostly shot, it seems to be acceptable (well, after a couple of litres of homebrew Pilsner at about 8% it is) and worth the outlay. I've put some into a crystal decanter to add a bit je ne sais quoi:
View attachment 508690
...and it's a bit rough, but ok. Definitely a touch of diesel or 15W/40 in there, although maybe I should have washed properly first.
Maybe the best place for it, in a decanter leave the top off and let it evaporate ;)

View attachment 508690
They usually do good in house whisky. I've mentioned before that 20 years ago they were flogging a Springbank 21 as one of their in house specials, about half the price of the original label version. The bottles used at the time were a dead giveaway. I think I bought four.

No can do, Whisky has to be a minimum of 40 %

And you can blame the notorious alcoholic and hypocritical Welsh bastard, Lloyd George, for that one.