Whisky - elixir of life

Was an original crowd funder, Which gave option to buy first release.
Very nice. As you say, one for the vault. I was lucky enough to be one of the first bond holders in the then new Lochranza distillery on Arran in the early 90's. The founders reserve bottles are now upwards of £100 each. The single malt is worth 3x that......and yes I do still have a few tucked away.

View attachment 551721View attachment 551722

One for the vault rather than drinking
I have Cask#12 due to be bottled this year ;) and got the hoody with the wrong way zip to prove it!!!!!!

Don't know if you've tasted it FF but it is a classic 'coastal' malt. Wouldn't say its as 'citrus' as the big boys across the firth, but its definitely a malt that drinks as easily as it will age. I wouldn't be put off by the ABV it only lends to the experience of drinking malts not really made this way for a number of decades. The boys have done a great job. I've been 'sampling' mine since it was born and the best part for me has been seeing the way it has changed from 'new make' into a whisky.

Also very pleased to say I have at least 1 of every bottling released by the boys - not so pleased with my latest invoice mind ;) Won't be pleased when I get my C&E invoice for bottling my cask either.

I found myself in an unusual place this evening, thinking that I had a decent film to watch, so poured a sizeable nip (Black Bottle + teardrop) together with a tinnie of some Danish pish, and squatted comfortably in my Chair.
The film was tripe and sumarily discarded; bugger. Wanting to be capable of a half-hour of extreme physical activity in the morning (bike, treadmill, dance), too much whisky to drink and almost a full tin of whatever; what to do?

Answer: relax. Life will go on; the political cretinism will continue, my boat will weather the temperatures and winds, and there will be bacon for breakfast. There will be a small nip of good whisky for the day after tomorrow.

I found myself in an unusual place this evening, thinking that I had a decent film to watch, so poured a sizeable nip (Black Bottle + teardrop) together with a tinnie of some Danish pish, and squatted comfortably in my Chair.
The film was tripe and sumarily discarded; bugger. Wanting to be capable of a half-hour of extreme physical activity in the morning (bike, treadmill, dance), too much whisky to drink and almost a full tin of whatever; what to do?

Answer: relax. Life will go on; the political cretinism will continue, my boat will weather the temperatures and winds, and there will be bacon for breakfast. There will be a small nip of good whisky for the day after tomorrow.
hopefully the Danish Bacon will be better than your tin of pish?

Bought a bottle of Shackleton last week (£20, Co-op), better than I remembered. Today, Auchentoshan American oak (£22, Co-op); not the most complex drop, but very pleasant. Got a bit of oomph & a long finish.
I grabbed a bottle of Auchentoshan (@Fang_Farrier to provide pronunciation advice please). Only £20 of my finest Welsh pounds in Tesbugs with a clubcard. Not half bad. Sweet enough that no water needed and a pleasant taste - I'm not going to get all poncey about tobacco, nuts and chocolate. I like it and so far it has kept adverse weather conditions away*

*My dad would carry a small hip flask on his hill walks filled with 'Lightning Repellent'. It works. I have NEVER been struck by lightning while drinking whisky - it even worked when my brother and I scattered his ashes at the summit of Lose Hill in Derbyshire (per his wishes). As we toasted him with a sip (large slug) of Glenlivet, neither of us were struck by lightning. Proof if ever it were needed - there is however a 0.000001% chance of lightning this evening in my area, so I intend to pour another...just in case.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I grabbed a bottle of Auchentoshan (@Fang_Farrier to provide pronunciation advice please). Only £20 of my finest Welsh pounds in Tesbugs with a clubcard. Not half bad. Sweet enough that no water needed and a pleasant taste - I'm not going to get all poncey about tobacco, nuts and chocolate. I like it and so far it has kept adverse weather conditions away*

*My dad would carry a small hip flask on his hill walks filled with 'Lightning Repellent'. It works. I have NEVER been struck by lightning while drinking whisky - it even worked when my brother and I scattered his ashes at the summit of Lose Hill in Derbyshire (per his wishes). As we toasted him with a sip (large slug) of Glenlivet, neither of us were struck by lightning. Proof if ever it were needed - there is however a 0.000001% chance of lightning this evening in my area, so I intend to pour another...just in case.

Auch n tosh n

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks. At least it’s said roughly like it’s written unlike bloody Welsh!

The pronunciation tends to improve as the evening progresses

Pronounce it like a command on the drill square Auchento........ SHUN!!!! Up ....2...3.... neck.....2....3......down.

lovely dram. Easy drinker and a go to when I’m not being a fussy ******. One of the better things to come out of Glasgow apart from the roads

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have Cask#12 due to be bottled this year ;) and got the hoody with the wrong way zip to prove it!!!!!!

Don't know if you've tasted it FF but it is a classic 'coastal' malt. Wouldn't say its as 'citrus' as the big boys across the firth, but its definitely a malt that drinks as easily as it will age. I wouldn't be put off by the ABV it only lends to the experience of drinking malts not really made this way for a number of decades. The boys have done a great job. I've been 'sampling' mine since it was born and the best part for me has been seeing the way it has changed from 'new make' into a whisky.

Also very pleased to say I have at least 1 of every bottling released by the boys - not so pleased with my latest invoice mind ;) Won't be pleased when I get my C&E invoice for bottling my cask either.

I only got a t shirt!

We hummed and hawed over level of investment.

Sampled lots of the various gins as they experimented with those batches but just got out of the habit of popping in the castle as the wee one has grown

I helped on the tasting panel for the gins (don’t know how much notice was taken ) I found the earlier ones very oily. To be fair they are making real gin not just infusing a neutral alcohol like the vast majority of distillers. And they are organic which limits their ingredients somewhat.

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
Well I think I have found my favourite affordable dram. Local supplier Dan Murphys has a slight discount on Tamdhu 15yo at 46%. Too me a rich full flavoured malt that is not too thin but I do like my sherry casks. It feels like an older GlenDronach. When compared to Glenfiddich/Glenlivet 15yo price wise it is the same price band down here whereas in the UK there is a significant difference. So I am slowly buying bottles from this distillery as funds allow.

Last week I took part in an online whisky tasting, a first for me. 15ml bottles of different ages bottles of Glencadam duly arrived the day after purchase with the event organised by the local importer, a resident Scotsman. Our host was the brand ambassador for Angus Dundee and the time difference meant it was morning in Stirling. The event took close to two hours and the drams were the Andalusia Reserve, 10, 15, 17, 18 & 21 years olds. The 17 was a port finish so was tasted last.

I made a series of tasting notes but a bit to long to share here. Across the drams there was an overriding fruity and occasional spicy smell and taste. Most people came up with green apple and similar citrus flavours. The 10 & 15 were the most popular but for me it was the 10 & 18yo although I am partial to the Portwood was well. The Andalucia was the only one with a sherry influence. I had enjoyed the 10yo previously and found it buttery/creamy and quite enjoyable but I will probably buy the 18 yo. The hosts spoke of a no longer available gem in the 14yo so a rummage through my stash found a 13 & 14yo.

In a few weeks time the importer is have another tasting but this time with the other Angus Dundee Distillery, Tomintoul. Very keen to try this one as the host will be the distillery's Master Distiller of 30 years and the samples include a 25yo.

The price for both events is very reasonable and the value to me is listening to the host and the answers available straight from the source.

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
It's a bargain...I'm still crying. Went to the dentists, all good, checked when I got back....FFS....sold out in around an hour and a half.

View attachment 550723

One of the local importers down here manages to obtain a very small allocation from Campbeltown and by the time they arrive they are usually sold out in the UK. They ain't cheap and they go fast. I would expect to pay around 200 Pacific Pesos for that.

One of the local importers down here manages to obtain a very small allocation from Campbeltown and by the time they arrive they are usually sold out in the UK. They ain't cheap and they go fast. I would expect to pay around 200 Pacific Pesos for that.
A lot are snapped up by collectors and flippers....just the way it is, no point in getting upset about it,

It included a Macallan 1926 Fine and Rare 60 Year Old, which fetched a hammer price of £1m.

I'm thinking of starting a GoFundMe page to get this bottle for an ARRSE tasting session. Any contributions greatefully accepted!

Reading this reminded me....
Grant’s. 1 litre bottle In Sainsbury’s for not much. Haven’t had Grant’s for ages, and used to find it harsh.
It‘s lovely. Sweet, smooth, rich and mellow. Honeyish, with a long, satisfying finish. Like the best of a bunch of Speysider‘s mingled.
For now, a score of 80. Easily as good as Grouse. Maybe better.
As a man in his late forties who has caned his taste buds, please remember my disclaimer “RangdoOfArg” could not care less.
Sit back, sip, and enjoy.

Reading this reminded me....
Grant’s. 1 litre bottle In Sainsbury’s for not much. Haven’t had Grant’s for ages, and used to find it harsh.
It‘s lovely. Sweet, smooth, rich and mellow. Honeyish, with a long, satisfying finish. Like the best of a bunch of Speysider‘s mingled.
For now, a score of 80. Easily as good as Grouse. Maybe better.
As a man in his late forties who has caned his taste buds, please remember my disclaimer “RangdoOfArg” could not care less.
Sit back, sip, and enjoy.
Nail hammer interface at the end there!!!!! No right or wrong with whisky just ‘enjoy’ !!!!!

Cracked this the other day, I'd not have gone for it but it was on a flash sale early last year. At 57.8% it needs a decent splash. If you like your Islay's it's a win. What can I say? Peaty, smoky and a touch of oil for me...what else would you expect? I'd buy it at full price.
1615155551794.png

Latest Threads